Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2021, 02:02 PM   #1

This is just to make somebody feel better.

Well maybe to make me feel better.
So I’ve had my truck for 14 years it looks like it’s brand new because I take such good care of it. I was at the house two weeks ago and I went to move my RV and, can you tell where this is going? Somebody started to talk to me and I walked away and when I came back The fifth wheel hydraulic legs in the front were still up. My truck and hitch were under the king pin but I had not hitched up yet. The king pen must’ve been resting on my hitch and I did not even think about that or realize it because when I got in my truck in my mind I was hitched up and ready to go for some reason and when I pulled away the fifth wheel fell on the truck bed sides. I was Accelerating just a bit to do a tug test, When I heard the bang, I immediately slammed on the brakes and also btw I was going very slow. I cannot believe how lucky I was, somehow the king pin was sitting on the hitch which kept the fifth wheel from falling as far as it could’ve. Plus my tailgate was still down so that didn’t get damaged and here’s the part that’s amazing, even though the fifth wheel came down on the bed sides and crush them down about 3 inches on one side and 2 inches on the other absolutely nothing happened to my RV and I still can’t believe it. I was definitely more worried about the RV because that damage is much harder to fix. I’ve got my truck back now and it looks about 80% as good as it used to they did a great job on the body work because they put new bed sides on it. I even had them wet sand the paint because I didn’t like the way it looked. They said if I wanted them to they would repaint it with some clear but I don’t know if I want to do that I haven’t decided yet. But I was shocked at how good of a job they did on replacing just the sides, so I’m very happy I have no body filler. Again I just put this out there to tell my story and to make anybody else who does that know that it happens to the best of us. And by the way the body shop said they see that all the time. I was so angry with myself because I thought I was better than that. But I have forgiven myself and now I just say I’ve learned my lesson. I want to buy a bed saver and they don’t make them anymore. [emoji849]. OK all thanks for reading us anybody that wants to comment go ahead, and maybe we can all just commiserate.
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 03:01 PM   #2

Don't let anybody talk to you while you're hitching/unhitching. Have a checklist and use it. Years ago I bent my landing gear because I got distracted while unhitching. Before that I saw a guy get hauled off in an ambulance after his fifth wheel pinned his head to the truck side rails in an accident similar to yours (the trailer rolled back as he leaned in to release the hitch). His son was talking to him as he was unhitching.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:00 PM   #3

That's why they call them 'accidents'.
You certainly didn't plan it, so I'm glad you've forgiven yourself. A plus is the fact that you got your truck back in almost perfect condition and didn't damage the trailer.

If it's any consolation, it's nice to know that someone else (other than me) can get distracted and make an error that damages a vehicle.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:29 AM   #4

This is just to make somebody feel better.

Test
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:10 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick83 View Post
Test
Follow the instructions in post #7 in this thread ==> https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...sics-6778.html .

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote