Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #21

4x4

Only thing I ever used was a4x4 and also my my toads have been as well except the one I tow now
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #22
Ambassador

I have had plenty of 4 wheel drive vehicles in the past, as far as towing goes, I would have to say it depends on where you want to tow your TT. For me, I think you are only as tough as your weakest link, and that link is your TT. What do you want to drag your trailer through that you would need 4 wheel drive to get it there? I can see going to the beach, or the desert, and using your 4x4 on the beach once you've set up in your site...this would be the only reason I would need a 4 wheel drive as a tow vehicle.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I will never go without 4x4. Not only do I need it to get to work in what NC calls snow sometimes but I have needed it to back up into a campsite on loose gravel going uphill. My Chevy does better with this on 2wd than my ford did but I still feel more comfortable having it than not. But all comes down to your comfort and personal preference.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #24

I buy my vehicles for everyday use as my primary concern. Towing is secondary. For us 4 X 4 is a necessity in the winter just to get home sometimes. You might consider maintenance on a 2 wheel drive is obviously less so the overall cost of ownership is lower. You could consider also that most 2 wheel drives get better fuel mileage then 4 X 4s. I agree with most of the previous post that at times it is real nice clicking into 4 wheel low to back into a sandy or gravel site but if your tow vehicle has a positrac rear end you may not need to go into 4 wheel.
tahoe1840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Do they even make a 2 wheel drive truck?

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #26

It isn't JUST about SNOW. Nor just where you can Push/Pull your TT/5er.
Unless you only live a KOA Life, you WILL have occasions where you and your TV (if not also your TT) will be on a less-than-Paved Road in Less-than-Ideal Conditions during or after a Good Rain/Thunderstorm/Light Snow. Driving in a Front-heavy High-powered Large-Tire Vehicle is Less-than-Ideal in those Conditions, and the 5-10% Grade or Muddy Ruts or Sand/Silt/Clay will be Much more Difficult to Get Through than if you can get that Power and Control to the Road Surface through All-4-Corners.

I learned the Value of a 4x4 System during the Test Drive of my 1st 2WD Pickup, when the Salesman suggested that I pull into an "Unimproved Lot" as a Turn-Around after one of the regular AZ Summer Monsoon Thundershowers. After waiting 2+ Hrs for the Dealer's Tow Truck to yank us out of 2in of Muddy Silt/Clay, I went across the Street to a different Dealer whose Salesman was less Proud of his 2WD Trucks. And bought a 4x4 Dakota the next Day.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #27

we tow with a 4x4 3/4 ton. because once we get where we are going, we like to gout on the back roads and explore. and also we live in West Virginia in the mountains and our driveway is is extremely steep and curvy. (We can't get our camper to the house because of the sharp and narrow turns we have to get home. we tried took us 3 hours to dig the camper around a turn. we camp at state parks or Corp of engineer campgrounds and then head further into the woods from there. w figure why limit where you can go? our 3/4 ton and the way it is set up with gearing and engine, we can actually tow more than a 1-ton with the equivalent set up. now if we decide to trade to a bigger camper we don't have to get another truck
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #28
DDC

Never thought of buying one that was not 4x4.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMelton View Post
? our 3/4 ton and the way it is set up with gearing and engine, we can actually tow more than a 1-ton with the equivalent set up. now if we decide to trade to a bigger camper we don't have to get another truck

Interesting theory.
Care to share the numbers?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #30

Another way to look at is resale when time comes to get rid of it. Most potential buyers are hunting 4x4's, so it makes it easier for resale. Although I don't particularly need a 4x4, I always buy one and never have much trouble selling one on the tail end.
philobeddoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #31

So far, this thread has been all about trucks. The largest TV I have ever owned was a '91 Suburban I used to tow a 25ft sailboat. I insisted on 4WD to pull the boat out of the water at a ramp (which worked wonderfully compared to my previous 2WD vehicles).

Pulling A-frames or PUPs, my TVs have been a '93 Ford Explorer (4WD) and now a 2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan, FWD). The minivan is by far the better tow vehicle (power, ride). But I have found tires make all the difference in Colorado snow country. Give me FWD with Blizzacks in the snow and ice over 4WD with all-season tires any day of the week from November to May.

Yes, I am a little cautious as to which Colorado dirt roads I will take my minivan/A-frame on. There is a rating system for these roads, and I just don't go where the rating is 4WD mandatory. I don't really miss out, because as has been pointed out, I'm not really keen on finding out how rugged my A-frame isn't. Neither vehicle has a high clearance - high-centering on a difficult trail isn't my cup of tea. Plenty of great camping places that are easily accessible that I haven't been too yet. And the wife prefers flush potties in the campground!

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
4x4 on a truck in not an option as far as I am concerned. Its a requirement.
X2
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:28 PM   #33

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have always had 4X4 full size trucks, 7 pickups so far. I had a GMC Asstro Van 2 wheel drive that when backing the TT anywhere near a hill was next to useless. We live in the snowbelt and get dumped on often so just getting around 4 wheel has it down.,
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:55 PM   #34

In 1976 I stopped buying muscle cars and started buying trucks. Everyone has been a 4X4. Not sure there is a reason for a 2 wheeler,,,
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:24 PM   #35

I believe, it's better to have 4x4 and not need it, than to need it, and not have 4x4.

So yes, all my trucks since 1985 have had 4x4, including the ones I tow with now.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #36
nosaint3

I got a 2X2 Chevy one ton gas and had to get pulled out by a ford bronco in wet grass. I got a 4X4 diesel 3500 and had to get pulled out by a ram 2500 diesel in wet muddy grass going up hill. He was on the road. My ram and 18000lb load just sat there all four spinning. I have used the 4 wheel drive where it worked to move me along though.
nosaint3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #37

To pay my way through college I worked for a utility company & drove 2WD work trucks off the beaten path to get to isolated utility poles, etc. We rarely got stuck due to all of the weight in the back & we were places I would NEVER drag a trailer... The couple times I did get stuck I freed myself in 10 minutes with a shovel & some wood planks - like I now carry to level my TT...

So when I found a 2 year-old Ram 2500 ST 2WD for $14K, I snatched it right up vs. paying $18K+ for a 4WD same year/same miles... Each winter I add about 800 lbs. of sand in the back & routinely pass the 4wd boys who drift off snowy roads because they're running too low on weight & too high on confidence.... My 5.7 Hemi gets 16-17 mpg on my daily commute compared to their 15 mpg w/same engine & my maintenance is lower...

However, I DO start to spin on loose gravel when backing my 8,000 lb. TT up a hill & into tight campsites. I am careful not to sling stones...., so I just pull forward & gently restart... The last couple times I only needed to pull-forward once before I was able to back into an almost 90 degree site in one fluid motion...

I figure, I always have Good Sams if I truly get stuck out & about... And, at campsites most everyone is eager to help... Although I haven't had to ask for a tow (yet), good camping neighbors have always offered their help with other issues...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #38

Another thought that a car salesmen told me once come to mind. If you buy a diesel for sure ensure you get a 4x4 otherwise keep the truck on hard surface otherwise due to the extra weight you will for sure be spinning your tires.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:20 PM   #39

I've owned both. In my younger years the 4X4 was useful as we were tent campers and would often go off road in the Sierras to camp. I have also lived in snowy and mountainous areas out west where it was a choice of 4-wheel drive or chains. I much prefer to stay in the warm car than try to put on chains in cold, icy weather. Since moving to the south however I have only owned 4X2 vehicles. I live in an area that if it snows everyone stays home until it melts. I don't own a boat so have no need to be concerned about slippery boat ramps. I get better mileage and have less expensive repairs than I did on the 4X4's. Resale value is higher on the 4X4 but when you keep a vehicle for 10-15 years like I do resale value isn't that important since most cars are worth next to nothing by then. I'm of the mind if someone rather have a 4X4 over a 4X2 who cares. I'm not the type that has to justify something I want just to feel good about it. If I were I wouldn't have a 71' Volvo 1800E sitting in my garage sucking money while it is slowly being restored.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #40

4X4 the only way to go, its like having a diesel you will never go back to gas. Once owning a 4X4 you will never go back to 2wd. They will take you where you want or need to go. Besides they look cool.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle