Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #1

Tips for towing on the interstate hwys

OK, so we have been out for three trips since buying the TT in my sig back in May and love it. Would like to start taking some longer trips which means at least some driving on the interstate. How fast do you guys safely go on the interstate? I have been driving the backroads so far at around 60 mph and mine tows great, no sway, bounce, etc. Any tips you can give me on interstate driving with a TT? It still freaks me out a little when an 18 wheeler passes me...lol
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
Always Learning

I tow right about 62mph almost all of the time (regardless of the speed limit- be it 55 or 70). I've never had a problem, even around major cities (Baltimore, DC, etc.).

I generally try to stick to the right lane unless there are a lot of on-ramps and then I'm one to the left of that, just to avoid often lane changes.

As well, I try to plan as far as head as possible. My wife is my navigator and we shoot for being in the correct exit/turning/etc. lane as early as possible (1 mile+).
Old 08-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #3

We find around 60 mph to be a good towing speed on the Interstates. I set the cruise around 62 or so and that seems to work well also.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #4

Great suggestions. Make the wife the navigator is a good one, that way she has something to do...haha. I want to try getting the rig up to about 62-63, then I think my overdrive should kick in and drop my rpm's and give me a little better gas mileage than just staying in tow/haul. How do you guys handle big rigs thundering past you and the wind rush?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #5

Check the ratings on your tires - most are rated for 65 mph, while some are rated higher.

Personally I believe that slow and steady wins. I have been passed plenty of times without issue, but been "hung out to dry" when trying to pass and missed an exit.

Truckers are just folk. Don't be intimidated, they don't want you to be. I always flash them back in after they pass. The amount of sway you experience is proportionate to the speed differential between you and them. So the faster they pass the more sway.

If your trailer is swaying a lot when you get passed, check your hitch set up. You may need anti-sway or more down force on the front wheel of your tow vehicle.

Otherwise, the more you are exposed to the trailers behavior, the more used to it you will be.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
Engineer of Crazy Train

I keep mine in the 60 range was well, depending on the terrain. Flat, she runs great in 4th, just about 2000RPM just a tad over 60. By 62, she will be in 2nd OD. In the hills, I lock off the OD, and keep it about 55MPH at about 2500 RPMs.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #7

Speed 62-64 mph. What speed is comfortable for your truck to where your transmissions is not 'searching' for your Overdrive/lower gear when going up a small incline.

Look in your mirrors more than your windshield. Have good tow mirrors. Know what is coming up behind you and their speed and 'grouping'. Look in your 'blind spots' often and know if anything is in them for if you have to change lanes quickly. Always have an 'out' to get into if things go south.... (tire overheats and shreds itself)

Give 3-4 second distance from what is in front of you. If (when) someone cuts in front of you.... (grrr) slowly back off and regain your 3-4 second difference.

City interstates.... If you are on an interstate that has more than two lanes and you are 'passing through'..... stay in the middle or second lane over from the lane that enters or exits the interstate. People can come on and off the ramps and you do not have to get over. People can go around you on the left and you don't have to worry about speeding up or slowing down. Keep your 3-4 second distance..... remain calm and 'own' that lane that you are in.

If (and it will happen) you come up to where is seems that all interstate lanes are 'shut down' for what ever reason (accident)and creeping along (this is what 'I' do, imo) get in the most 'left' lane (if you are 'passing through) and creep along there until out of the accident zone (always follow safety personnel directions).

When changing lanes, give yourself miles and not milliseconds. You are slower and bigger than most people out there. Make sure that all of your lights, blinkers and brake lights work. You are taking a big gamble going out on the interstate if some don't.

Stop every two-three hours, even if you do not need fuel to do a walk around and check tires, heat of tires, flashers, etc. And for your own health, by getting your leg circulation going and clearing your mind and getting a drink, bathroom break etc. Plan your 'stops' if possible before you leave on your trip for the day. Know what is out on the road ahead.... rest areas, food and fuel stops. If the GPS says that the 'road trip' for that day from point 'A' to point 'B' is 8 hours... know that it will take closer to 10 hours. I have a Diesel, so I leave my truck running all day long and do not shut it off until at the stopping place for the day.

Do not get in a hurry.... if things 'seem' to go 'crazy' and getting stressful... do not speed up... slow down and relax. By pushing your TV on a hot Texas road (95-105 degrees) from 64 mph to 75 mph, and drive for over 2 hours, you WILL melt down a tire and have it explode and this will throw you back more in your timeline (plus, who knows what damage has been caused) even more.

You will get the hang of it and enjoy the interstate driving. Mirrors, distance, speed, hold your line/lane....

And never argue with the Navigator, they are your eyes and ears and should be your best friend..... (people that go on long road trips know what I mean.....)

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #8

Keep the steering wheel steady when a truck passes. They'll push you away at the beginning and then pull you back to them as they pass. DON'T OVER COMPENSATE. I find that the tall, flat front, box type trucks are the worst because they have so much air pushing away from them.
I set it on 60 mph in TOW/HAUL and try to let everybody pass me.
Study your route before setting out so you will know which hiway/road you need to be on. DON'T BELIEVE GPS'S DIRECTIONS, they will sometimes send you on Wild Goose Chases.
Keep you eyes looking further up the road than you would while driving solo. If there is a vehicle ahead of you that you need to pass(on a 4 lane), move over well in advance.
Watch out for road gators.
Look in the mirrors constantly so you can be prepared for what's coming up behind.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
Resident Masshole

Lot of good advice above, but the key things are patience and leaving yourself plenty of room.

For my part, I try to keep it between 60-65 and in the right lane as much as possible. Tried 55 mph once by DW could not handle all the cars blowing by us lol (apparently I have her pretty well conditioned now, as w/o the TT it's pretty rare for someone to pass me)
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #10

Texas speed limit says 60 mph during the day and 55 night for recreational vehicles no matter what that 70 mph posted speed sign says.
Don't forget to have your road safety bag with you, triangle, flares, and things and they are required to have with you in most states and it will help your safety if the situation arrises. I cruise along at 55 to 60 mph and they can go around because I'm going camping. LOL Keep your tires inflated to the right pressure on your TV and TT and take it easy and you'll be fine just give yourself plenty of distance between other travelers. I'm pulling 16,000 to 18,000 lbs loaded with a length of 63 foot so I just take it easy as I can. I laugh when I see 5 cars telgating me and sometimes there just admiring my rig and others are just pisses at me for going 55 or 60 but hey I'm going camping they can wait or go around me I'll wave when they pass. Have fun and be safe.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #11

That is why I love this forum, you people are true veterans and your advice is priceless. Thanks for all of the suggestions. Some of them I have already learned from you and some are new. Good quote: Let them pass, I am going camping!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
Texas speed limit says 60 mph during the day and 55 night for recreational vehicles no matter what that 70 mph posted speed sign says.
I know not to believe too much on the internet, but this is what I have found.

Texas RVer: New, 75 mph speeds authorized on four Texas highways

Texas Speed Limits Increase

Trailer Speed Limits | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

State Speed Limit Chart | Speed Limits

Old 08-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #13
NELA

When on the interstate (traveling through) and there's an accident involving all lanes stopped, we pay attention to where the 18 wheelers are migrating to. They have radio contact with trucks coming in the opposite direction so they know which lanes are affected by the wreck and which lanes will move through first.

If one is ahead of us and has their left blinker on, and we're in that left lane, we let them over. They will, most often, share that information with other truckers. We saw that happen Sunday. 18 wheeler trailer caught on fire, all lanes stopped. We were in the left lane. Trucker in center lane wanted over so we let him in. Shortly thereafter we came to an Allegro MH that a UHaul truck had rear ended (shoved their toad up into the engine grill across the back) in our left lane. Almost immediately an 18 wheeler let US back into the center lane to get around it.

It was obvious what caused that MH/UHaul wreck....low hill, just before the spot where the truck was burning. Top the hill and all lanes are suddenly dead stopped, no where to go.

Sneak *always* gives the truckers the "flash over" courtesy; quick flick of the lights as soon as they're clear to move back in front of you.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #14

I could be wrong but this is what I found for towing in Texas. I know they have increased the speed limits but it doesn't seem to apply to all. Th 60 mph may just apply to my 5er being so long and heavy.

Trailer Towing Rules in Texas

Every state has its own towing laws; boat owners, RV campers and even people moving their home ignore these at their own peril. Common sense dictates a number of Texas laws, and most towers will not be affected by any but the basics. According to Towing World, drivers in Texas can operate up to 25,999 lbs. of towing vehicle without a special license, but once your setup exceeds or equals 26,000 lbs., you'll need a class-B noncommercial driver's license.

Sponsored Link
Pro Pull Trailers
Pro Power Outdoor Superstore Utility and Cargo Trailer Depot
www.propowerla.com

Safety Equipment

Among the more self-explanatory towing laws in Texas, outlined in section 545.409 of the transportation code, is that the connection between the towing and the towed must be strong enough to pull your trailer's entire weight. It also must not be more than 15 feet long, unless it's so built-in that it can be considered "structural." The tow bar must also be highlighted with a white flag or cloth. Safety chains of sufficient strength and flares or warning signs are required under section 545.410, as are breakaways on trailers over 3,000 lbs. Trailers weighing more than 4,500 lbs. need brakes; no such requirement exists for towed cars.

Dimensions

In Texas, a towing vehicle can be no taller than 14 feet and no wider than 8 1/2 feet. The trailer can be no taller than 14 feet, no wider than 8 feet 6 inches, and no longer than 45 feet. The combined length may be no longer than 65 feet. Motor homes can be no longer than 45 feet long, with a two-vehicle length no longer than 65 feet.

Restrictions

Under section 545.409 of the transportation code, no more than three vehicles can be towed behind one tow vehicle using the "saddle-mount" method, whereby the front wheels are mounted on another vehicle's bed, leaving its rear wheels on the ground. Under 545.410, it is typically illegal to allow a child younger than 18 to ride in a flat-bed trailer; one example of an exemption is if you're riding in a parade. It is also generally illegal for a truck or tractor to pull a trailer with passengers; though, if the trailer is designed for human habitation, this action is allowed.

Speed

The maximum speed for a towing vehicle in Texas is 70 mph -- on the interstate -- unless posted otherwise. Under code 545.352, that's only in the daytime; it applies to passenger vehicles and light trucks pulling small trailers less than 26 feet long, carrying a boat, motorcycle or animals. For such small trailers, the nighttime maximum is 65 mph. For other kinds of trailers, such as fifth wheels, the maximum daytime speed is 60 mph, and that maximum drops by 5 mph at night. Common sense trumps the posted speed limit: If it's foggy, and you're still traveling at 55, the police can cite you for dangerous driving
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
I think my overdrive should kick in and drop my rpm's and give me a little better gas mileage than just staying in tow/haul.
I have the same engine as you and I think you're on the right track here. Find out what works best for keeping the truck in overdrive with the rpm's down. Usually high 50s or low 60s depending on wind & grade.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #16

All of these personal suggestions are excellent! I will X2 on the wife as a navigator to give as much advance notice as possible. We use paper maps to double check but use Google maps for traffic, construction, accidents, etc.. One of the biggest bonuses of Google maps is the satellite view to scout upcoming gas stations and restaurants to verify if there's enough room to enter/exit or park without drama. It relieves a bunch of guesswork and stress. Safe travels!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
I could be wrong but this is what I found for towing in Texas. I know they have increased the speed limits but it doesn't seem to apply to all. Th 60 mph may just apply to my 5er being so long and heavy.

Speed

The maximum speed for a towing vehicle in Texas is 70 mph -- on the interstate -- unless posted otherwise. Under code 545.352, that's only in the daytime; it applies to passenger vehicles and light trucks pulling small trailers less than 26 feet long, carrying a boat, motorcycle or animals. For such small trailers, the nighttime maximum is 65 mph. For other kinds of trailers, such as fifth wheels, the maximum daytime speed is 60 mph, and that maximum drops by 5 mph at night. Common sense trumps the posted speed limit: If it's foggy, and you're still traveling at 55, the police can cite you for dangerous driving

I don't live in the great Nation State of Texas so it is good to know the laws of the road when traveling in every Nation/Commonwealth/State that we do. Road laws change all of the time and what we pull up on the internet today could be years old and not 'current'.

We are talking about Interstate roads and my recommendation is to travel at speeds of 62-64 mph on Interstate highways. That being said, where I am reading Sub Chapter H Speed Restricts ....Section 545.352 and Section 545.353, I have not seen (I easily could have over looked it) any step down restrictions on the Interstates. But I see where the highway commission may raise the speed limit on certain highways 75-85 mph. (NOTE: never a safe speed)

TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES

(Section 545.352)
(h) Notwithstanding Section 545.352(b), the commission may establish a speed limit of 75 miles per hour on a part of the highway system if the commission determines that 75 miles per hour is a reasonable and safe speed for that part of the highway system.(h-1) Notwithstanding Section 545.352(b), the commission may establish a speed limit of 80 miles per hour on a part of Interstate Highway 10 or Interstate Highway 20 in Crockett, Culberson, Hudspeth, Jeff Davis, Kerr, Kimble, Pecos, Reeves, Sutton, or Ward County if the commission determines that 80 miles per hour is a reasonable and safe speed for that part of the highway.(h-2) Notwithstanding Section 545.352(b), the commission may establish a speed limit not to exceed 85 miles per hour on a part of the state highway system if1) that part of the highway system is designed to accommodate travel at that established speed or a higher speed; and(2) the commission determines, after an engineering and traffic investigation, that the established speed limit is reasonable and safe for that part of the highway system.(i) Repealed by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 265, Sec. 9, eff. September 1, 2011.(j) The commission may not determine or declare, or agree to determine or declare, a prima facie speed limit for environmental purposes on a part of the highway system.

Not sure of the dates of this Transportation Code and what is the most updated Code. Try to be aware of all state road laws and always error on the side of caution.

Safety first and always.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #18
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

All good stuff here.
Remember, you're not in a race, you're not going to be late for work, give yourself a steady consistent presence and let the others watch out for you.
Think of it this way:

350 miles @ 65 mph = 5 hours 23 minutes
350 miles @ 75 mph = 4 hours 40 minutes

So the increased speed gets you there 45 minutes quicker, but you're probably using more fuel and switching lanes a lot more.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #19
Racin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I tow right about 62mph almost all of the time (regardless of the speed limit- be it 55 or 70). I've never had a problem, even around major cities (Baltimore, DC, etc.).

I generally try to stick to the right lane unless there are a lot of on-ramps and then I'm one to the left of that, just to avoid often lane changes.

As well, I try to plan as far as head as possible. My wife is my navigator and we shoot for being in the correct exit/turning/etc. lane as early as possible (1 mile+).
x2
Old 08-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
When on the interstate (traveling through) and there's an accident involving all lanes stopped, we pay attention to where the 18 wheelers are migrating to. They have radio contact with trucks coming in the opposite direction so they know which lanes are affected by the wreck and which lanes will move through first.

If one is ahead of us and has their left blinker on, and we're in that left lane, we let them over. They will, most often, share that information with other truckers. We saw that happen Sunday. 18 wheeler trailer caught on fire, all lanes stopped. We were in the left lane. Trucker in center lane wanted over so we let him in. Shortly thereafter we came to an Allegro MH that a UHaul truck had rear ended (shoved their toad up into the engine grill across the back) in our left lane. Almost immediately an 18 wheeler let US back into the center lane to get around it.

It was obvious what caused that MH/UHaul wreck....low hill, just before the spot where the truck was burning. Top the hill and all lanes are suddenly dead stopped, no where to go.

Sneak *always* gives the truckers the "flash over" courtesy; quick flick of the lights as soon as they're clear to move back in front of you.
Weezer, I have always kept a CB radio mounted in my TV. The truckers don't seem to use it as much as they used to but when there is a traffic stall they do talk on it and will let you know what is happening ahead or if when you are traveling along, they will let you know of problems on your side.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing