Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 11:36 AM   #1

Tire question/Suggestions (Western PA)

I need to replace the Tires on my Tow Vehicle and need suggestions. We tow a TT 6-10 times a year and a utility trailer (sxs) about 12 times. My concern is pulling the TT. We towed last year with the stock GdYr SRA's (P-rated) without issue but I am concerned for the long haul. (SRA's were crap anyway... 23K to the wear bars)

TV - 14' Ram 1500 Crew (with bags)

TT - 26TBUD.

My Tire shops have a few reasonable options

Sumitomo Encounter HT (E Rated)

General Grabber HTS60 (XL Rated)

Any recommendations or information are appreciated.
thebdygrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:32 PM   #2

I would go on line and see what Michelin Tire. Co offers in your truck year and tire size for LT tires. I like the light truck tires over P rated tires for towing and general hauling of items in a pick-up. Granted you will not get the car like ride that the P rated tires offer but it is s truck and not a car!

Than go to Tire Rack.com and see if you can purchase the Michelin or any other high quality tire from Tire Rack. Com and what dealer in the area they work with.

On my truck I am using Nitto Dura Grappler tires when towing. I have had very good luck with them.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
Grammar Pedant

LT tires are an absolute must for towing a travel trailer. If you're towing a small harbor freight utility trailer or a small popup, then P rated could be enough. But, 99.99% of the time, if you're towing, you want LT. The LT tires are built differently to handle loads and the dynamics of towing. P tires are built more for comfort and driveability (if that's even a word).

LT tires can be found in lots of versions. I prefer an A/T tire, but there are more street-worthy tread patterns. So, you won't find yourself limited to undesirable brands or styles. Pick what you like, make sure that it's LT, and preferably Load E.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You'll get many opinions... here's mine...

Michelin LT. I like the LTX Defender (the old M/S 2)
Michelin Tires

Been using these tires on tow vehicles for many years.
I have nothing bad to say about them or the towing experience when using them.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:55 PM   #5

I like BF Goodrich, which is owned by Michelin. I also like Yokohama truck tires, which is what I have on my truck. I use load range E, a little over kill but they seem to work nicely for me.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:04 PM   #6

I would go with an LT tire...... I do not know truly if on brand is better than another . The only brand I will never buy again is Michelin overpriced, pure junk and wear out very fast........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:06 PM   #7

Happen to like Continental Tires. I as well have not had good luck with Michelin. Second choice would be Coopers.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:15 PM   #8

If you are a Costco member try the sale on Michelin LT (light truck) tires they have on sale ... $70 off. It almost pays for your 1 yr membership.

I have a 2014 RAM 1500 and Costco was the cheapest Michelin dealer around.

Free rotation and balance every 6,000 miles and ROAD Hazard warranty included in the price.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:33 PM   #9

2x and 3x the recommendation for Michelin LT tires. We have used them for nearly 40 years on a variety of TV's. Costco has excellent pricing. We have also used America's Tire recently, as they offer a long term guarantee good at any America's Tire shop throughout the country.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:40 PM   #10

Hate to throw water on this, but had two of four Michelin tires blow on my F350. They had 19,000 miles and we're four years old.

Michelin replaced all four tires at a 70% discount, so I'm not unhappy, but won't buy another set on my dime.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:50 PM   #11

I just replaced the tires on my 2004 Titan with stock sized Cooper SRX tires. More than capable of carrying the max weight of my truck and trailer. Better yet, when NOT towing, the ride is as comfortable as in many sedans. The tire for my truck is an XL rated tire and has a max inflation pressure of 44 psi. A pair of these tires are rated for over 1,000 lbs more than what either of my axle's are rated for.

Keep tires like these properly inflated, the W/D hitch properly adjusted, and don't overload either vehicle (TT or TV) and you'll be "a happy camper".

Word of warning, the Cooper's aren't cheap and their track record in my experience is better than the "Big M". The company I retired from had a full line of private label tires made by Cooper and our warranty rate was a "decimal figure". (less than one percent).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:17 PM   #12

This is one area you do not want to skimp on. I replaced the Goodyear tires that came on my 2016 F150 CC, they have 20,000 miles and are junk. I used Firestone LT tires for years and went to Michelins quite a few years ago. I was not disappointed. They may cost more, but if you look for sales, they can be somewhat reasonable, you get safety and with care, great ware.
This set I went to E rating as I am pulling a Flagstaff 29RKWS and wanted to make sure I did not get any sidewall flex when on the interstates. Ride isn't bad and truck feels real stable.
ralphieracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:36 PM   #13

I have run michlen LT since 1995 and have averaged 55,000 to 60,000 per set. Proper tire pressure, rotate, kept alignment good.
JimB47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:42 PM   #14

FMCA Tire Discounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I would go on line and see what Michelin Tire. Co offers in your truck year and tire size for LT tires. I like the light truck tires over P rated tires for towing and general hauling of items in a pick-up. Granted you will not get the car like ride that the P rated tires offer but it is s truck and not a car!

Than go to Tire Rack.com and see if you can purchase the Michelin or any other high quality tire from Tire Rack. Com and what dealer in the area they work with.

On my truck I am using Nitto Dura Grappler tires when towing. I have had very good luck with them.
FMCA has a Michelin Tire Discount program for all RV related tire needs, including tow and toads.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #15

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
Happen to like Continental Tires. I as well have not had good luck with Michelin. Second choice would be Coopers.
Some of the best tires I have ever owned and used were Cooper tires... from small cars to the Grand Cherokees, never had a problem and they wear like iron.

Keep in mind that when there are more "plies", the ride will be a bit stiffer, but the safest bet is to go with LT tires.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #16

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit1 View Post
Some of the best tires I have ever owned and used were Cooper tires... from small cars to the Grand Cherokees, never had a problem and they wear like iron.

Keep in mind that when there are more "plies", the ride will be a bit stiffer, but the safest bet is to go with LT tires.
Thank you for the information. Cooper Tires could be my choice too. Still about $1000.00 for four, mounted, balanced, and aligned.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #17
Grammar Pedant

I went with Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires. This is a newer tire design and you can find lots of reviews of the tire online. LT tires and a very solid E rating for towing (3,640 lbs at 80 psi).

I've been very happy with offroad performance on dirt roads and forest service roads. I don't do serious offroading. My truck is also my daily driver and this tire is pretty quiet for an A/T. Handling wet, snow, and ice, well, too. Nothing dramatic, though.

They are heavy, though. Really heavy and that cost me 1-1.5 MPG immediately (I was moving from a lightweight P-rated tire).

And, it was an inexpensive tire -- ~$800 for a set of 4, all inclusive. Much cheaper than BFG, for example. I like the looks and performance of A/T tires and this is one of the better looking ones out there:

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #18

Question, if you are switching from 'P' tires to 'LT' tires, how do you approximate the new pressure? My door jamb is for the stock 'P' rated tires that came w/ it, so any 'P' rated tire of the same size should take the same pressure. However, LT's aren't P's, and I'm assuming I'd need more pressure in the for the same load carrying capacity that my P's have. How do I find out how much more? There are no load tables I can find for Michelin LT tires in 18".
Old 02-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Question, if you are switching from 'P' tires to 'LT' tires, how do you approximate the new pressure? My door jamb is for the stock 'P' rated tires that came w/ it, so any 'P' rated tire of the same size should take the same pressure. However, LT's aren't P's, and I'm assuming I'd need more pressure in the for the same load carrying capacity that my P's have. How do I find out how much more? There are no load tables I can find for Michelin LT tires in 18".

It's not all that hard to calculate. Take the pressure from the door sticker along with the load they show for that pressure.

Download the pressure/load chart from the manufacturer's website for the tires you chose. Go to the LT size you put on, go across to the same load as what the vehicle manufacturer put on the door sticker and then go up to the top of the column and look at the pressure.

LT tires, due to their heavier construction will run stiffer and retain more heat than the P or XL tires. Make sure you don't under inflate but beware, the pressure molded into the sidewall may not be the best pressure for your needs.

A tip for those who have tow vehicles that "wander". Running the front axle tires a little lower in tire pressure (but not lower than what's required to carry the load on the front axle (with about 10% extra for safety margin) will cure over-steer tendencies. Ford found this necessary for many of their pickups in the 90's when they recommended 44# front and 80# rear, even though the truck wasn't loaded anywhere near what 80psi rear inflation would require.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #20

That's the thing - I can't find the load tables for a Michelin Defender LTX M/S tire. Anywhere.

DEFENDER LTX M/S - SIZE: LT275/65R18

Tags
tire