Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #61

May as well til it's closed down.Good point eem-dee. So the reasoning behind the balance mark is?
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #62
Commercial Member

Identifying marks can be used for balance or radial run-out. Tire manufacturers and car companies work together to establish various colors to indicate the different limits. The car company may be "matching" the roundness of the wheel or the balance of the wheel. Sometimes one is more important than the other and it may depend on wheels being steel or aluminum.
I know of no way to establish a specific meaning to marks of a specific color without information from the tire company, not a dealer but the engineering dept.

Even knowing if the mark means weight balance does not mean the amount of tire un-balance is equally offset by the level of wheel un-balance.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:24 PM   #63

Plus you would not know how much weight to put on the alignment dot(if that is what it is) until it was mounted on the rim/wheel. eem-dee had a good point with this.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #64

I have a 2016 Sandpiper 5th wheel and have pulled it about 2500 miles with no tire issues whatsoever. I keep covers over the tires when not traveling and check the tire pressure on each tire before every trip. I make sure the trailer is not over loaded and I don't exceed 65mph. I plan on replacing them this next year as they will be approaching or over 3000 miles.

Computer Nerd
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duramax
2016 Sandpiper 35ROK
Computer Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:13 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
I know.
Here are some CFRs.

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
Old 11-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #66

Ordered some new Maxxis for my 2103 Sabre BKOK31 and was wondering what the "oldest" acceptable date of manufacture is, so I scanned some tire specific forums and found threads like this:
I always get current year DOT stamp when purchasing new tires. No sense in buying pre-dried rubber. I get full value.
permalinkembed
[–]RickMN 8 points 1 year ago
Great if you need a popular size and model. But tire companies make tires in batches and keep them stored in proper conditions until a store orders them. If you need a model or size that's a slow seller, you're going to get a tire that's been in deep storage for a while and there's simply no way around that.
If a tire is stored properly, 2-yrs on the mfg date is no big deal.
You just don't want them stored in sunlight and heat.
#############

Seems to me 2 years is a bit "old" for a "new" tire. Any thoughts ?

Jim C
2015 F350 6.7L Powerstroke SWD Lariat
Demco Autoslide Hijacker
RVS Camera
2013 Palomino Sabre BKOK 31
TPS
PI 50 amp EMS
Renogy 100Watt Solar Suitcase
2 T-105 6 Volt Batteries
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #67

That's a 2013 Sabre!
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Old 11-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Identifying marks can be used for balance or radial run-out. Tire manufacturers and car companies work together to establish various colors to indicate the different limits. The car company may be "matching" the roundness of the wheel or the balance of the wheel. Sometimes one is more important than the other and it may depend on wheels being steel or aluminum.
I know of no way to establish a specific meaning to marks of a specific color without information from the tire company, not a dealer but the engineering dept.

Even knowing if the mark means weight balance does not mean the amount of tire un-balance is equally offset by the level of wheel un-balance.

Best post yet.

The idea of it being a balance mark (without details) that can eliminate the need to balance is absurd in so many ways.

If nothing else, it is definitely a reference point.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:04 PM   #69
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsue View Post
Seems to me 2 years is a bit "old" for a "new" tire. Any thoughts ?
I wouldn't be happy receiving 2 year old tires. I'd request 1 year or less (and really- 6 months would be preferred). I'd refuse anything > 1 year.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:08 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I wouldn't be happy receiving 2 year old tires. I'd request 1 year or less (and really- 6 months would be preferred). I'd refuse anything > 1 year.

I agree, although on my cars not as big a deal since I wear them out in just a few years.

On my TT however, I hit age before tread wear limits. I need every month I can get!
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
How would you know?
Old 11-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #72
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
How would you know?

Date code on the tire.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer Nerd View Post
I have a 2016 Sandpiper 5th wheel and have pulled it about 2500 miles with no tire issues whatsoever. I keep covers over the tires when not traveling and check the tire pressure on each tire before every trip. I make sure the trailer is not over loaded and I don't exceed 65mph. I plan on replacing them this next year as they will be approaching or over 3000 miles.

Computer Nerd
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duramax
2016 Sandpiper 35ROK
3,000 miles and one year old tires sounds like a waste of money to me. I often do 3,000 miles on one trip. Should I replace the tires each time? I don't think so. I replaced all the junk tires on my last trailer when it was new, with Michelin XPS Ribs. I put over 30,000 miles on them in just over 4 years. I had it aligned, watched the wear pattern, balanced them and kept them inflated. Zero problems and they should go another 3-4 years.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #74

Most tire manufacturers warranty coverage is time measured from the date of purchase.

Maxxis trailer tire warranty coverage is time measured from the date of manufacture.

IMO, Maxxis retailers should start discounting the sale price after a tire sets on the shelf for more than 3-6 months.

Maxxis trailer tires have one of the longest coverage periods (6 years). Someone getting tires from one of their retailers two or more years old have already lost 1/3 of the warranty coverage period.

Trailer Warranty | Maxxis Tires USA
Old 11-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #75

Air dale, thanks much for the warranty info. I'll be sure to keep that page bookmarked in case I ever need it. I'm going to Discount Tire to check the date of manufacturing before I have them installed.
Renogy Solar Suitcase

Tags
tire, tires