Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #1

To all you towing aces out there....

Howdy,

Just got off the provincial weigh scales with TV and new Rockwood Ultralite 2306s. I am now aware of my trailer weight after making necessary computations, and am satisfied I have a good combo. However, a couple of questions regarding weight distribution: Firstly with my WD hitch on the front axle of my TV weighs less with trailer and hitch connected (2574 Lbs) than it does when unconnected to trailer (2705 lbs) Is it necessary for me to either slack off the WD arms or tighten them some more. Trailer hauls very nicely, is very level with TV as is. There is no light feeling in the steering, even though there appears to be less weight on the front end of the TV when hooked up and towing. Bottom line: I am very happy with the manner in which it is now set up, but curious about this seeming weight disparity. Any input greatly appreciated. Weight of trailer loaded but with empty tanks - 5456 lbs.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #2

Take a look at the setup instructions that came with your hitch. They usually indicate to set it up by measuring the amount of "squat" before and after the trailer is attached. You adjust the amount of distribution based on those measurements rather than weights from a scale. Although I'm sure there's a direct correlation to weights, using the method in the instructions should eliminate any questions.

Regarding what you're seeing on the scale, it makes sense that the front axle would be slightly lighter even with the WDH. The 131 lbs in your case wouldn't concern me too much. Attached is a diagram from the "Equalizer" setup instructions. It shows the amount of squat in the rear and the amount of lift in the front for the properly set WDH. So a little less weight on the front axle is expected.

Give this document a read if you don't have the instructions for your hitch. It's pretty well written and describes WDH's in general as well as aspects specific to the Equalizer. http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/eq...nual200905.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	equalizer.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	6414  
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #3

Towing

Thx dlhoppe, for your very speedy response, and information. My hitch was installed by an rv tech, but will take a look bearing in mind your valuable info. Great website for this kind of thing.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #4

If an RV tech set it up for you, I'm willing to bet it's reasonably close to optimal. However, there's nothing wrong with double-checking on your own for peace of mind.

How does the rig handle? Are you noticing any bad behavior? Does the front end of your tow vehicle feel "floaty" at all? It should feel as sure-footed as without the trailer. The only obvious difference should be the weight you're pulling.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
Thx dlhoppe, for your very speedy response, and information. My hitch was installed by an rv tech, but will take a look bearing in mind your valuable info. Great website for this kind of thing.
One thing to keep in mind if the RV tech installed it. The camper was probably empty, not loaded for camping. If this is the case, it is good practice to re-adjust you WDH for a fully loaded camper and loaded TV. Things change a bit. You may find that you will tow even better!
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #6

Actually the only way to know whether you are set up correctly is by doing exactly what you did: weigh hitched and unhitched. Squat measurements are only a starting point. The front axle should weigh the same as (or slightly lower) hitched and unhitched. You have given limited information, but it sounds like you are falling into the 'slightly lower' category and are good to go. If you did the weigh and were not fully loaded for camping, then you should do it again when you are.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #7

Yep, Yep and Yep, I am very satisfied with towability. Straight as an arrow, no mushiness in steering, almost no sway when semi tears by. I was loaded to gunnels when weighed, notwithstanding empt tanks, which is how we travel. Much appreciation to valuable feedback.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #8

IMO, you want to shoot for the same front wheel well height as when unhitched, which correlates to same/stock front weight. 130 lbs seems like enough that I'd want to transfer some more weight.

Sure, it might feel fine, but you want to set it up to optimum.

Same or a little lighter simply means if it's impossible to get it perfect (same height/weight), go lighter rathern than going heavier. This is to prevent people from overloading their front axle.

For serious towers (3/4-ton and more), their vehicles have enough front axle capacity to handle even more. For them, the recommendation is actually to shoot for equal-compression, front and back. Their front height actually decreases a little, although never to be more reduction than the rear. But again, for these, it's recommended to still check the actual weights to be sure they are not overloaded either.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman
IMO, you want to shoot for the same front wheel well height as when unhitched, which correlates to same/stock front weight. 130 lbs seems like enough that I'd want to transfer some more weight.

Sure, it might feel fine, but you want to set it up to optimum.

Same or a little lighter simply means if it's impossible to get it perfect (same height/weight), go lighter rathern than going heavier. This is to prevent people from overloading their front axle.

For serious towers (3/4-ton and more), their vehicles have enough front axle capacity to handle even more. For them, the recommendation is actually to shoot for equal-compression, front and back. Their front height actually decreases a little, although never to be more reduction than the rear. But again, for these, it's recommended to still check the actual weights to be sure they are not overloaded either.
This agrees with the Ford owners manual.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #10

Towing

Thx again. Just got back from a little trip and am very happy with how units behave when hooked together. I think I am on the right side of the tracks. Now if I can just find a gas station that sells fuel for .10 Cents a liter, I will have everything under control. Keep on pullin' out there.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
MrT

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
Thx again. Just got back from a little trip and am very happy with how units behave when hooked together. I think I am on the right side of the tracks. Now if I can just find a gas station that sells fuel for .10 Cents a liter, I will have everything under control. Keep on pullin' out there.
Roger that on the fuel costs. I guess that's what we signed up for in the towing circles, yes? I'm just grateful that my FFV vehicle doesn't require Starbucks in the tank.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #12

Towing

Wow! A great way to understand and appreciate what it really could be like, say if we lived in Britain, or Europe. We have tended to learn to appreciate what is immediately around us, or within a 100 mile range. Its amazing what you can enjoy close to home, yet still savor the RV experience.