Old 07-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #21

Thank you all for your comments, suggestions, anecdotes...
Picked up the truck an hour ago. They replaced the left turbo assembly and various things that go along with it (12 items in all). Met with the District Manager, Service Advisor, and Lead Technician. They all said it was a tough fix...hmmm. Anyways, I asked about the cool down and they said that used to be the case in the past, but with the new technology they have cooling systems in place...hmmm. I blew it out 60-90 on a short section of freeway on the way home...jumped right up with no problem. So far, so good. Weíll be towing the trailer over the top of Yosemite National Park and down the other side toward Mammoth, and back, in a couple of weeks. We will see.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #22
Grammar Pedant

Glad it's fixed and seems to work. Can't beat that!

I'm a "read the manual and follow the directions" kind of guy. If the F-150 EB doesn't instruct about a cool down, then I wouldn't worry about it. At all. If it was important, it would be in there.

Enjoy your trip!

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
Don't do it! It'll be like sending a kid home with a puppy to try out
Ö...you'll wind up buying a HD if you try it.
Darn
Old 07-19-2019, 07:46 AM   #24

We just bought a 2019 3.5 eco yesterday, I hope to never have any of the issues I have read about, we ended up going with Ford due to the 10 speed tranny issues Chevy/GMC are having on their new trucks.
SquiggyFreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #25

GM doesn't have 10 speed transmissions and the transmission on your Ford is the exact transmission on the GM trucks with the 6.2L since it is a Ford/GM joint venture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiggyFreud View Post
We just bought a 2019 3.5 eco yesterday, I hope to never have any of the issues I have read about, we ended up going with Ford due to the 10 speed tranny issues Chevy/GMC are having on their new trucks.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #26

For what it's worth - My dealer has told me that Ford EB's need to have the front license plate offset If placed in the middle it restricts air flow to the turbos.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaCityBulldog View Post
For what it's worth - My dealer has told me that Ford EB's need to have the front license plate offset If placed in the middle it restricts air flow to the turbos.
It doesn't restrict air to the turbo's, they get their intake from the air filter/airbox located left upper under the hood. The license plate located front middle may or may not affect air flow to the CAC, or charge air cooler which is an air to air cooler for the compressed air coming from the turbo's and headed for the throttle body.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #28

Ok - Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
It doesn't restrict air to the turbo's, they get their intake from the air filter/airbox located left upper under the hood. The license plate located front middle may or may not affect air flow to the CAC, or charge air cooler which is an air to air cooler for the compressed air coming from the turbo's and headed for the throttle body.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #29

I am an attorney. I donít know what state you are in, but in SC lemon laws only apply to new vehicles and the issue must arise within the first twelve months or 12000 miles, whichever happens first.
cutigerjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #30

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutigerjd View Post
I am an attorney. I donít know what state you are in, but in SC lemon laws only apply to new vehicles and the issue must arise within the first twelve months or 12000 miles, whichever happens first.
California
Old 07-23-2019, 06:28 AM   #31

I have a 2015 f150 eco boost. We were in Alaska in June of 17 with about 40,000 miles on it when the left turbo crapped out. Took them about 3 weeks to replace. All under warranty. We now have about 80,000 miles and all is well. (knock on wood).
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty. Nick 22 y/o and Leif 3 1/2 yrs.
cruisegrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #32

2015 F-150 3.5 EB 49,500 miles

I was experiencing a high pitched rattling noise upon start up in the mornings for the last 3-4 of weeks. The sound would go away after a couple of minutes. Not much at first but It worsened to the point I decided I'd better have it checked before heading out on a trip from Northern California to Colorado. 3000 miles round trip pulling my TT. It appears it has something to to with the timing chain hydraulic tensioner and could present a big problem. Very expensive and time consuming to fix. So I had to cancel all my reservations along the way at the last minute, and take the truck to the Ford Dealer. Barely still under power train warranty fortunately. Hated to have to cancel the entire trip and missing my grandkids National mountain bike races in Winter Park, Co. but a scenario where I might have broken down on a deserted eastern Nevada highway, or somewhere on a 9000 foot Colorado two lane mountain pass was to much to risk. Truck is now at the Ford dealer for a week to 10 days. Vacation spoiled but possible disaster averted. Otherwise a very capable truck for hauling my 5500 TT.
pwrriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisegrandma View Post
I have a 2015 f150 eco boost. We were in Alaska in June of 17 with about 40,000 miles on it when the left turbo crapped out. Took them about 3 weeks to replace. All under warranty. We now have about 80,000 miles and all is well. (knock on wood).
Interesting...mine was the left side as well
Old 07-23-2019, 08:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrriver View Post
I was experiencing a high pitched rattling noise upon start up in the mornings for the last 3-4 of weeks. The sound would go away after a couple of minutes. Not much at first but It worsened to the point I decided I'd better have it checked before heading out on a trip from Northern California to Colorado. 3000 miles round trip pulling my TT. It appears it has something to to with the timing chain hydraulic tensioner and could present a big problem. Very expensive and time consuming to fix. So I had to cancel all my reservations along the way at the last minute, and take the truck to the Ford Dealer. Barely still under power train warranty fortunately. Hated to have to cancel the entire trip and missing my grandkids National mountain bike races in Winter Park, Co. but a scenario where I might have broken down on a deserted eastern Nevada highway, or somewhere on a 9000 foot Colorado two lane mountain pass was to much to risk. Truck is now at the Ford dealer for a week to 10 days. Vacation spoiled but possible disaster averted. Otherwise a very capable truck for hauling my 5500 TT.
You do know there was a TSB for this problem for 2011-2105 Ecoboost engines right?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...48706-9999.pdf

Out of curiosity, what have your oil change intervals been? If you have been doing the Ford advised 7.5k to 10K oil changes, that might contribute to the problem.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:27 PM   #35

I manage a small fleet of vehicles, around 550+.

My main repair shop just happens to have started business in the 1950ís exclusively rebuilding engines. Since most people and companies donít rebuild engines nowadays, they branched out into general repair.

Still known as Wagamon brothers, the sons of one of the original brothers now own the business. One of the owners and his son both own ford F150ís, 2013 and 2012 respectively. The 2013 needed a timing chain at 175k. Not an interference engine so that is good to know. I have a 2014 f150.

They really like these engines for their personal vehicles. Yes you can have an issue (or several as it seems reading about the left turbo.)

I bought my truck used, it was from Fargo, ND area. It had 55k and now has 7x,xxx on it. It is a daily driver summer and winter. When I need it to work pulling my Heritage Glen 24RKHL TT, it does so with ease.
Kennerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:11 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
You do know there was a TSB for this problem for 2011-2105 Ecoboost engines right?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...48706-9999.pdf

Out of curiosity, what have your oil change intervals been? If you have been doing the Ford advised 7.5k to 10K oil changes, that might contribute to the problem.
Thank you for the info on this TSB. I did not know about it. I bought the truck used from a Ford Dealer in Sonora California in November 2018. I will be taking a copy of this into my Folsom Ford Dealer tomorrow, when I'm scheduled to have this looked at. The Service advisor didn't seem to know what it was when I described the sound I was getting. An independant mechanic that I went to first dialed right in on the Timing Chain Tensioner just by listening to a recorded sound I gave him from my Smart phone recording. This is going to be very helpful for me tomorrow. Thank you very much. Since I've owned it, I change the oil every 5000 miles despite the recommended 7.5 by Ford. Old habits. I'm just now at 50,000 miles so still under the 5 year 60,000 mile power train warranty. I sure do like this forum and thank you again for contributing.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaCityBulldog View Post
Prior to '15, the intercooler was mounted in the cut out area of the bumper. This is why the license plate is offset. It's also why you'll read about issues with water ingestion and the remedy of drilling a weep hole in the downpipe to let the excess moisture buildup out. On the newer models the intercooler was moved and this is no longer an issue.
nights camped 2019: 42. Miles towed: 4500.
2020: 30 1500
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:16 AM   #38

To Babock TSB on 2011-2015 F-150 3.5 Eco boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
No cool-down prescribed for the Ford EcoBoost engines. Turn the key Off. Done.

-- Chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrriver View Post
Babock, Good news for me. My first mechanic mis-diagnosed the problem with the noise on start up in the morning. As for the TSB you spoke of turns out that it applies to engines built before May 29, 2015. My truck was built in November 2015. Anyway, the good news is it was a warped LH exhaust manifold causing this bird like rattling sound in the morning for 10-20 seconds. they were able to fix it in two and a half days and fortunately under the power train warranty. 5 years 60,000 miles. Mine is 4 years 50,000 miles. I could have gone on my trip after all and probably been okay but better safe than sorry. RE-booked the trip for last two weeks of August. Truck is running fine now.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:00 AM   #39

Love happy endings