Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #21

I think the last engine I bought was an ATK.. $3600 for the motor on a 5.7 Hemi. The 4.0 I bought for the Jeep has been great..

https://www.powertraincompany.com/dodge
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:39 AM   #22

You can buy a long block for around 1K, why not go that route, 7500 for a 2004 in my opinion is way too high when there are other options.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
You can buy a long block for around 1K, why not go that route, 7500 for a 2004 in my opinion is way too high when there are other options.
X2. Best advice so far.
Go the reman long block route, then sell it
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Where?
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #25

If I decided to replace the engine in my Cherokee (it will be old enough to drink next March!!) I would also have the transmission rebuilt at the same time. If you like your truck and it is in good shape it has the advantage of being way less complex than newer ones therefore way less expensive to work on.
$7k sounds really high and judging from the above comment Jasper may not still be the company it was back in the day. I'm guessing I could get engine and trans on that truck done for 7k by some of the local shops that I trust. Ask around. Just my $0.02

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:14 AM   #26

I would suggest that depending on planned usage of truck should point you in the direction to go.
I agree with others that if existing truck is in excellent shape re engine. You know exactly what you have.
I would also agree that the long block route is the way to go. Cheaper than a complete engine assuming all the other parts (intake, turbo, ECM) are in great shape.
You should change all hoses, belts, radiator, fuel/oil/air filters as part of the process.
Personally I would also have trans rebuilt and change out the torque converter and valve body (if an auto) to aftermarket units built for towing.

Just an opinion.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #27

Also might want to keep in mind that for insurance purposes, a functioning engine is table stakes. Any money that you spend repairing the engine is considered maintenance.

If you were to replace the engine for $7,000 and sell the truck on Craigslist, you would have a pretty good argument for listing it at or above high Blue Book (assuming the rest is in good condition).

But if you put a $7,000 engine in, and then get hit by a drunk driver on the way home from the shop, insurance will give you very close to $0 value for that new engine.

This definitely shouldn't be the only consideration, but it's worth considering.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Also might want to keep in mind that for insurance purposes, a functioning engine is table stakes. Any money that you spend repairing the engine is considered maintenance.

If you were to replace the engine for $7,000 and sell the truck on Craigslist, you would have a pretty good argument for listing it at or above high Blue Book (assuming the rest is in good condition).

But if you put a $7,000 engine in, and then get hit by a drunk driver on the way home from the shop, insurance will give you very close to $0 value for that new engine.

This definitely shouldn't be the only consideration, but it's worth considering.
In this scenario there are other ways to recover your damages. Unless the owner was the drunk.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #29
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
I’d replace engine. Even if you got two years before anything goes wrong you would be ahead of $500 a month truck payments over 2 years.
A decent used truck right now would be 16-25,000. Then something may go on that one on the way home.
So true! What the OP has to ask himself is, "Have i maintained the 2004 platform in a way that I have faith in it" ? I know a lot of folks who refuse to saddle themselves with huge payments, or massive cash layouts on new rigs. They will gladly spend a couple thousand every year to keep it going down the road vs. buying new or buying someone else's problems. Here in Alaska it's not uncommon to see 1980's models K5 Blazers, Jimmys and Scottsdale pickups still in service.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #30

replace the engine, lets face it the mileage isn't really that much on the truck, iv'e got an 05 tundra if the engine went i would put another used engine in it no problem.

wouldn't look at the woulda coulda shoulda scenario. if you replace the truck the truck you buy might need work down the road, so replacing the engine on the truck you own makes since
Old 08-27-2020, 12:31 PM   #31

Check on the price of the extended warranties from Jasper and Powertrain, I had one go bad from Powertrain and they covered everything. Transmission kits are pretty cheap while you are so close. Bare minimum is new front pump seal.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:50 PM   #32
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
...But if you put a $7,000 engine in, and then get hit by a drunk driver on the way home from the shop, insurance will give you very close to $0 value for that new engine.

Oh, negative waves...

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:24 PM   #33

Truck

Tough decision. But for me you are getting newer components w/ a newer truck. Also a better riding and safer truck w/ more modern features. I would not put $7000 into a truck that is worth the same and will probable need a transmission soon. Just me.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #34

I'd LS swap it.

Seriously, though... I'd get the engine, even though I have a bias against FCA products (not looking to troll / argue; we all have our preferences)

However, $7K is pretty spendy, even w/ a pro R&R. I'd think $5K would be better, but it wouldn't be a Jasper. If you're willing to take a chance on a lower mileage JY engine, you might get out for $3500 (or less), installed, depending on labor rates in your area.

If you have faith in that engine, that's how I'd go. Or - you could even get a different engine type, depending on what's available / what fits / what's compatible w/ the rest of your driveline.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:02 PM   #35

How much are Mopar crate engines? As a former GM employee that still gets employee discounts, that would be the route I would do if this was a GM product.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
How much are Mopar crate engines? As a former GM employee that still gets employee discounts, that would be the route I would do if this was a GM product.

X2 or a low mileage used.

Modern engines are complicated. Not like the 60s and 70s when a rebuild was required at 100k. They have electric stuff and roller stuff all over them... these items are precision.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I'm one who keeps vehicles a long time... Sometimes too long.
If it's your daily driver, cut your losses and get a newer one. If it's a hobby truck, or an occasional tow vehicle, it might be worth fixing.
But usually when the engine goes, other components aren't far behind. And an engine replacement always costs more than estimated, if not now, soon after. And honestly, $7k seems a little high for a same engine replacement. Rebuilt crate motors are fairly cheap.
A bit off topic. We plan on spending the Winter in Las Cruces again this year.
Maybe we can touch base and pick your brain of experience.
Bytesponge
2017 FR Class A 30FW
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:08 PM   #38

Quote:
X2. We had a 2001 Ram that had terrible gas mileage. It would have been reason enough to trade. Researching, we also found that Ram had problems with sludging, causing the motors to fail prematurely. Traded up and don't want to look back.

I would suggest finding a used motor, do a swap and then trade. There are rat vehicles with good motors or people parting out their own because of body damage. Try cragslist. Junk yards would be a good source as-well. Not all of them are out to skin you. A 5.7 from any body style should work.

When my son was rebuilding a '69 Mustang, he first bought a rolling chassis with a great body. I bought a Ford Grenada cheap with low mileage. We cannibalized it for the front disc brakes, master cylinder, brake proportional valve, A/C pump, V-8, and transmission. Then salvaged what was left. Not a bad parts investment for $375. Did the same thing buying an old Merc Cougar for a V-8 engine swap into a Ford Ranger 4 cyl. Everything was working on the donor cars. Just have to do some creative shopping.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
Tough decision. But for me you are getting newer components w/ a newer truck. Also a better riding and safer truck w/ more modern features. I would not put $7000 into a truck that is worth the same and will probable need a transmission soon. Just me.
Why? Just because the engine quit?

I had a 1973 Dodge van that needed it's first transmission repair at 302,000.

It almost always depends on how the original purchaser and subsequent owners took care of things. There's no "rule" that something HAS to fail.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:27 PM   #40

We have a Honda Element that is pretty much perfect inside and out. It isn't made anymore so hard to replace so when its engine goes out, I am replacing it. Not sure I would do the same with a pickup truck.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote