Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #41

I'm not familiar with Jasper engines so I need to ask whats included other than labor for that $7,000? Is it a starter, alternator, etc. ? Like others have mentioned whats next the transmission? At that point would you put thousands more to replace it? Imho I'm thinking a low mileage used engine might make be best. Unless that new engine leaves you with a good long warranty, like others have said it might be better to buy newer used. Trucks continue to improve year to year. But like everything you buy used unfortunately you never can tell. Wish you luck will be interested to hear what you did and how things worked out.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:52 PM   #42

How about a used wrecking yard sourced 5.7 Hemi? Should be a lot of them available for $1500.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:55 PM   #43

I have purchased a total of 5 different Jasper engines over the years. 2 in different pickup trucks one in a single engine boat and two for a twin engine boat. Never had a problem all worked and fitted as required.

I would buy again from Jasper
tugboat369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:57 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Why? Just because the engine quit?

I had a 1973 Dodge van that needed it's first transmission repair at 302,000.

It almost always depends on how the original purchaser and subsequent owners took care of things. There's no "rule" that something HAS to fail.
In real estate it would refer to the OP's position as approaching functional obsolescence. Once the OP has committed an additional $7K for a new motor, he is compelled to put money into subsequent repairs, large or small. At some point, it may become a money pit and a point of no return.

An owner can do their utmost to take care of things and still have a major component failure. Take MoPar for instance. For many years, their motors have experienced sludging problems and the motors failed prematurely. The owners have provided records of maintenance consistent with the warranty requirement. Yet the engines failed and the company always found a reason to deny culpability.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:02 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
How about a used wrecking yard sourced 5.7 Hemi? Should be a lot of them available for $1500.

That's what I said, but mentioned LKQ. They are a nation wide chain that can get about anything you would need when it's of that era. Used engines (no reman work or anything done to them) can almost always be had for under $2k.
Other toys: 2007 Rinker Captiva w/Monster tower & rack
GXPWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:15 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXPWeasel View Post
That's what I said, but mentioned LKQ. They are a nation wide chain that can get about anything you would need when it's of that era. Used engines (no reman work or anything done to them) can almost always be had for under $2k.
Yep, I would not hesitate putting a used engine in a 16 yr old truck and then drive it for another 10 years...as long as the truck is otherwise clean and maintained.
If it's rusty, no way.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Not a bad way to go if just rebuilding. A $1500 recycling yard engine is not much more than a core. If it has good compression, no damage or signs of oil burning it would sell for a lot more.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:42 PM   #48
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopplebock View Post
So, the TV is a 2004 Ram 1500, 5.7L. 130,989 miles. Threw a valve on Saturday. Punctured the cylinder wall. Engine is a loss. Truck overall is in very good shape for it's age.
My dilemma is deciding to either replace the engine or replace the truck.
Never replaced and engine before. My mechanic has done dozens. He uses the Jasper engines and has a lot of confidence in them. Total replacement cost is $7000.
The value of this truck on the market is about $7,500. (with a working engine) I paid $8,500 for it two years ago.
If I replace the truck, I'd like to go newer, say 2010 or better with low miles. My online shopping is finding that I'd be into $15 -20K at minimum for that.

In my mind, I'm money ahead at this point to just fix the truck I have.

Curious about what ya'll opinions on this would be.
I trust Jasper also. I was the buyer for a 2000 vehicle fleet and the manager for a 56 vehicle EMS fleet. I used Jasper for both and had very good luck with them.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #49

I don't know about VA but I keep my 2004 because of the money I would have to pay the state every year for a newer truck that does the same thing the older on does. Gadgets, and conveniences are just more to fix.
aircommuter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:39 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytesponge View Post
A bit off topic. We plan on spending the Winter in Las Cruces again this year.
Maybe we can touch base and pick your brain of experience.
Bytesponge
2017 FR Class A 30FW
PMed
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:11 PM   #51

$7000 for a 17 year old truck? Anyone think there is not issues ready to pop?
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:50 PM   #52

I would buy a long block and move on, new trucks are so expensive and used you never know what your getting.
Wiseacre99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #53
Marcus

Do the work your self or find a reasonable shop.

I have three dodge trucks and would not hesitate to pull the engine. They are easy to work on. I keep an 05 ram 2500 Cummins for the heavy work but also use F150 ram 1500 and Ramcharger for other light work. I replaced the engine in my wife's 81 cutlas over a weekend by myself. When was the last time anyone saw a cutlas? I pull my toyhauler with the F150 and the RAm 2500. Both pull well with 6 cylinders. The new 3.5 ecoboost is great. I have pulled about 6400 lbs and it worked great. We sold the cutlas 5 years after the engine install due to unrelated electrical issues. I have no problem with local rebuild shops.

Spending money, you could also get a crate engine with a few more ponies. The basic 360 is a creampuff.

https://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...psumn26tdr.jpg
MarcusWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:43 AM   #54

If your truck is in good shape ( not a rust bucket) electrical etc in good shape, I would pull the motor and while I was at it I would have the transmission rebuilt. Get the fuel pump and fuel filters too when you get a chance. And 97% of your roadside strandings just went away.

Jasper rebuilt engines are ok, I think they stand behind any warranty work....but you need to find the details in that!

New vehicles are crazy, costly things. I have bought them and I have also pulled engines and transmissions too.
By far, if you look at "lost opportunity" in what your money could have been doing for you if you saved it instead of plunking it down on a new vehicle over 20 years it will make you sick. Lost interest earned... say if it was invested over that period in some utility stock bearing 4-5% annually...but the pain dont end there too....higher insurance cost, higher taxes....just my opinion, keep the older truck, replace the engine, get the transmission rebuilt while in there and wave at your fellow campers going down the road in those new rigs, whose ego and marketing schemers got the best of their bank accounts.
Take that monthly new vehicle payment and put in a bank account that has your name on it instead of some predatory financial institutions name.
Thatdarncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:15 AM   #55

engine change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatdarncat View Post
If your truck is in good shape ( not a rust bucket) electrical etc in good shape, I would pull the motor and while I was at it I would have the transmission rebuilt. Get the fuel pump and fuel filters too when you get a chance. And 97% of your roadside strandings just went away.

Jasper rebuilt engines are ok, I think they stand behind any warranty work....but you need to find the details in that!

New vehicles are crazy, costly things. I have bought them and I have also pulled engines and transmissions too.
By far, if you look at "lost opportunity" in what your money could have been doing for you if you saved it instead of plunking it down on a new vehicle over 20 years it will make you sick. Lost interest earned... say if it was invested over that period in some utility stock bearing 4-5% annually...but the pain dont end there too....higher insurance cost, higher taxes....just my opinion, keep the older truck, replace the engine, get the transmission rebuilt while in there and wave at your fellow campers going down the road in those new rigs, whose ego and marketing schemers got the best of their bank accounts.
Take that monthly new vehicle payment and put in a bank account that has your name on it instead of some predatory financial institutions name.
X2
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:58 AM   #56
Citrus County, Fl.

Around 2002 I replaced the engine in my 92 Toyota pickup with a Jasper engine. The reason is I was losing water and discovered water in the oil and figured it was a head gasket since the engine had 290,000 miles on it. Turned out the timing chain cut a hole in the block and let water in. Since the truck was in great shape my mechanic suggested a Jasper replacement. It is still in the family and currently has about 460,000 miles on it so I guess it was a good investment over the past 18 years to be able to keep it on the road with only replacing the AC compressor, alternator and master cylinder.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Around 2002 I replaced the engine in my 92 Toyota pickup with a Jasper engine. The reason is I was losing water and discovered water in the oil and figured it was a head gasket since the engine had 290,000 miles on it. Turned out the timing chain cut a hole in the block and let water in. Since the truck was in great shape my mechanic suggested a Jasper replacement. It is still in the family and currently has about 460,000 miles on it so I guess it was a good investment over the past 18 years to be able to keep it on the road with only replacing the AC compressor, alternator and master cylinder.
Key word here is Toyota. I would have no problem doing this with a Toyota. 16 year old Ram? Not a chance.

As far as finding something good used, shop harder, and buy from an individual. You should be able to find something much newer than 2010 in your price range. And don't be a brand bigot. Consider any of the big three: Chevy/GMC, Ford or Ram. The F150 is the top selling vehicle every year, so the supply of used F150s should be ample.

One advantage of buying a newer model used from an individual is the lack of competition. Most people buying a truck in that price range need financing, so tend to buy from a dealer. I bought my five year old F150 with 12,000 miles on it from the original, 85 year old owner. I paid him a little less than HALF what he paid for it. Good deal for me, good deal for him too. I've put another 125,000 miles on it, 2/3 towing.
NC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytesponge View Post
X2
Investing is a gamble. Putting money in a bank? We have a CD coming due. We can let it roll over and get .05%-WOW, a half percent interest. Or we can renew and get .01%. Really WOW! Those figures don't even come close to inflation. Banks are predators at both ends.

Our 2013 Silverado was a head turner and we got a lot of compliments from strangers. It had low mileage and was absolutely mint. A Florida truck that was stored winters when we brought it north. It had 73,800 original miles and we had all intentions of keeping it for several more years.

That all changed early in July when a woman with advanced dementia ran a stop sign and broadsided us. It took over a month for the insurance company to tell us the Silverado was totaled. Something I was sure of before unbuckling my seat belt that morning. And, they have categorized our truck as average condition for the year model. Fortunately, we took pictures of everything on the truck after the accident and can document condition prior. Dealing with a claim is a whole other topic.

Comes the question-replace it with a like model year and condition or buy new for several thousand more? For one, a like model/condition vehicle would not likely be for sale and we don't want someone else's problems. After weeks of researching several surrounding states, I located a new 2019 Silverado with the major OEM features of the 2013 and am now adding other accessories/necessities. It was over 300 miles distant, but were able to get it delivered to our door for $300-a rear gift! There were used 2016 models selling in the same price line.

Our rational was that we could use our GM card points toward a new vehicle purchase. A new previous year model diiscount advantage was appealing under the circumstances. And, we now have years of warranty.

Also, the Covid 19 pandemic has caused price increases in both new and used vehicles and especially trucks.. Dealers are not willing to deal more than manufacturer rebates. The Covid 19 is most likely to cause other issues in the economy and that is inflation. It is already happening in many markets. So, buy now or pay more later. We think we made the right decision under the circumstances. DW has been saving for the eventuality that we would in the future have to replace our truck, so no financing.

The OP's circumstances are different to ours in the aspect of mechanical failure vs accident damage, but it presents a similar dilemma. Our Silverado repair costs was at a point of diminishing returns. Had it been repaired and returned to us, it would still have been of less value because of the documented damage. Having the OP spend $7K replacing the motor and possibly anticipating further expensive repairs is also a point of diminishing returns.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:45 AM   #59

If you really love the truck then put the motor in it. It will need a new intake manifold also. Jasper makes good reman engines. Just don't use the intake screen gasket they give you with the new motor, it will reduce power due to the restriction it provides. If I were in your shoes ide be looking at a bit newer like a 12 or 13 ram 1500. But avoid the air suspension version.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:45 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
$7000 for a 17 year old truck? Anyone think there is not issues ready to pop?
Compared to buying new, there's over $40,000 still left in the "kitty" to address any of those issues that "pop".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote