Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2020, 09:38 AM   #61

I'm thinking the fella that sold this truck to the OP two years ago made a wise decision.....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I'm thinking the fella that sold this truck to the OP two years ago made a wise decision.....
Wow.. what a way to make a fella feel good when he's probably already down..
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Actually, it was an attempt to enforce the idea of not throwing any more $$$ into this old truck than is necessary. Do the minimum to get it running, get rid of it, like the previous owner.....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:01 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Actually, it was an attempt to enforce the idea of not throwing any more $$$ into this old truck than is necessary. Do the minimum to get it running, get rid of it, like the previous owner.....
I agree. Replace with a used engine and sell it.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #65

Things happen.. there is zero evidence that the previous owner pulled anything.. it's just as possible that the OP did the damage (or there was some sort of defect in manufacturing) that caused it.

If he likes the truck and it's in good condition (like he say it is) then it's worth it in my book. You all like giving interest and paying depreciation to the bank way too much.

I'll drive a good-looking 20 yr old truck any day and would definitely take that over a payment.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:31 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
The OP is asking our help to make his informed best decision. We are giving advice based on our knowledge. There is no malice in giving advice. Only the previous owners know the motives prior to the OP's ownership.

Prior to our 2013 Silverado, we had a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500. When trading, the Sierra had nothing wrong with it per factory specs. It has a 4-speed automatic. When not towing, it was great performer. When towing, even thought it had the HD tow package and OEM brake controller, it was constantly gear hunting on minor grades and would rev well past the hill crest. When towing heavy loads long distance, it was an inherent annoyance. Those were load approaching 7,000 lbs and well under the tow rating. If the new owner of that Sierra would have bought any other Sierra/Silverado with the same equipment, it would have performed the same way. Was it wrong to sell the truck to someone else? The 2013 Silverado had a 6-speed auto. Under the same driving conditions, it was a dream-until it was totaled. Now, had this been a newer truck and rebuilt, then sold without disclosing the damage, that would be wrong.

Referring back to the previous owner of the OP's Ram, it could easily have been circumstances that were not satisfactory to them, but still a perfectly good truck. Possibly, they just wanted to move up. Maybe gas mileage was a concern. Or, they had become aware of the concerns of motor sludging. When we traded our 2001 Ram for the Sierra, it was all of the above. Yet, the Ram was mechanically and cosmetically fine. It may never have a motor problem. But again, many original Damlier Chrysler product owners have had premature motor failures due to blocked lubricating passages. The manufacturer consistently denied culpability. Dealers never mention the possibility. We were not willing to take the gamble. It's a vicious cycle.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #67

I think there are several valid points on both sides. However, since responding earlier, something kept bugging me. I sold cars in 2008 and the truck that had the lowest resale was dodge/ Ram. I just did a Kelly blue book check it’s obvious that my check is not accurate because I know nothing about the truck and the options. I also understand that if the op never sales then resale value is meaningless. Unless he wrecks then like any vehicle he won’t get what he put into it. The average price in my area is $5100 private party sell. Unless he finds someone with the cash he needs someone with the ability to qualify for a personal loan thru a bank willing to loan on vehicle that old. It will be near impossible for private party sell and dealing consignment or with a dealer price will be slashed drastically Plus in few months it will be 2021 dropping value some more though I imagine most of the depreciation is done.
If he keeps the truck it is cheaper than new and as others have stated he may never have a another real problem other than wear and tear items. There are no promises if he buys another used vehicle he could run into same problem or it can be trouble free as well.
If it was me and I was attached to the truck and didn’t feel like I could find one to meet my needs I would keep it fix it.

If I really was thinking about upgraded to newer I would sale as is take that money and the money saved from not fixing the truck and get a newer one.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:44 PM   #68

Never put more into a repair than the vehicle will be worth. It's not just the $7000, but the truck has at least $1500 of value even with the blown motor, probably more like $2500 if a 4wd. Somebody out there can get a used running 5.7 hemi back that for under $1000 total investment doing it themselves. So they may spend even $3500 for the clean truck with a bad motor because they can get it back to $7000 condition for $4500 total. Then use or flip it for a profit. If you don't want to do the work, I'd try and get $3000 for it and move on.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:13 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopplebock View Post
So, the TV is a 2004 Ram 1500, 5.7L. 130,989 miles. Threw a valve on Saturday. Punctured the cylinder wall. Engine is a loss. Truck overall is in very good shape for it's age.
My dilemma is deciding to either replace the engine or replace the truck.
Never replaced and engine before. My mechanic has done dozens. He uses the Jasper engines and has a lot of confidence in them. Total replacement cost is $7000.
The value of this truck on the market is about $7,500. (with a working engine) I paid $8,500 for it two years ago.
If I replace the truck, I'd like to go newer, say 2010 or better with low miles. My online shopping is finding that I'd be into $15 -20K at minimum for that.

In my mind, I'm money ahead at this point to just fix the truck I have.

Curious about what ya'll opinions on this would be.
Most of your replies are from people who have no idea what a rebuilt engine costs in 2020. The Hemi engine had problems with dropping valve seat until 2010 and I am sure that is what happened to yours. Also a good reason not to buy used if you want to keep it. Jasper knows this and addresses it.

https://www.jasperengines.com/chrysler-57l-hemi-engine

$7K does sound high, but I can only guess. That price may also include a core charge because your core may very well be worthless because of its damage. I am sure the quote includes the installation kit water pump, hoses. belts, spark plugs etc. If you do an engine, do the radiator too. Maybe it is already in the quote. Service the transmission and differentials. Then start saving $2500 for a transmission rebuild when needed. There is no such thing as a new Dodge engine, it will be reman. Probably have the same warranty as Jasper and cost even more. Both will have a nationwide warranty. Jasper engines may require another $400 to get a warranty that will pay current labor rates. 80% of the people on this site would never put a dime into a half ton. It looks like your trailer is just fine behind a half ton. My Avalanche has 383K miles, 2nd engine (Jasper) and 3rd transmission in it. Some guys will not blink an eye to spend 6K bullet proofing a 6.0 Ford others would never do it. It costs a lot to fix old trucks, even more to fix new ones. I love my truck, do you? I own four vehicles, the newest is my 2003 total mileage on all four is over one million miles.
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Never put more into a repair than the vehicle will be worth. It's not just the $7000, but the truck has at least $1500 of value even with the blown motor, probably more like $2500 if a 4wd. Somebody out there can get a used running 5.7 hemi back that for under $1000 total investment doing it themselves. So they may spend even $3500 for the clean truck with a bad motor because they can get it back to $7000 condition for $4500 total. Then use or flip it for a profit. If you don't want to do the work, I'd try and get $3000 for it and move on.
For me a vehicles value is not what it's worth to someone who might buy it but what it's worth to me in what it will do. Since I've kept every vehicle I've ever bought until I've extracted every possible mile out of it I feel I've got my money's worth out of every one, including repairs.

Mileage on several vehicles as well into the 300,000 mile range when I finally sold them to make room for a newer vehicle that more fit my current needs.

For some reason it's ingrained in much of our society that once a vehicle passes some magic age or mileage it suddenly becomes unreliable. It's amazing what regular maintenance and good driving habits can do for longevity.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
If you really love the truck then put the motor in it. It will need a new intake manifold also. Jasper makes good reman engines. Just don't use the intake screen gasket they give you with the new motor, it will reduce power due to the restriction it provides. If I were in your shoes ide be looking at a bit newer like a 12 or 13 ram 1500. But avoid the air suspension version.
Shrapnel gets in the intake? Another cost towards the $7k estimate. What is their reasoning for the screen?
Old 08-29-2020, 02:32 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
For me a vehicles value is not what it's worth to someone who might buy it but what it's worth to me in what it will do. Since I've kept every vehicle I've ever bought until I've extracted every possible mile out of it I feel I've got my money's worth out of every one, including repairs.

Mileage on several vehicles as well into the 300,000 mile range when I finally sold them to make room for a newer vehicle that more fit my current needs.

For some reason it's ingrained in much of our society that once a vehicle passes some magic age or mileage it suddenly becomes unreliable. It's amazing what regular maintenance and good driving habits can do for longevity.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:41 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

That has nothing to do with what I said. Even you say you sold the other trucks at some point, why? A broken truck that old is only worth fixing if you are the person doing the labor. Somebody that just needs a working truck must weigh the costs. If it costs $7000 to fix and is worth $3000 as is why wouldn't you instead just go look at what might be better for $10,000? I actually normally buy high mile stuff, my last 2 trucks I bought used one with 275k on it and the other with 235k. I love high mile stuff but I get them cheap and do my own repairs. I've also bought a new truck before, ironically a 2003 Hemi Ram. I don't keep anything more than 2 or 3 years, old or new. That Ram cost me the most per year, but still less than $2000 a year, other stuff I often make money on.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:54 PM   #74

I think the idea of the long block is sound. Most of the engine is probably fine besides the internals. All the other stuff can swap over. This is obviously more labor intensive so consult with your mechanic. Another would be if you could find a crashed truck of same or similar year with a lower mileage engine you may do even better. That will take more work to find but may be the least expensive option, maybe you can even get a lower mileage transmission out of the deal.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:35 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPin AZ View Post
Shrapnel gets in the intake? Another cost towards the $7k estimate. What is their reasoning for the screen?
Not sure what their thought is on the screen if you are using a new intake. I guess so I found the engine drops a valve again you won't need an intake? The last Jasper Hemi I did the customer complained about it being less powerful. Everything checked out so we returned it to the customer. He came back again and said it just isn't right. After I thought about it I remembered the screen. So I removed it and installed a regular gasket. Customer was happy after that.

I also read that someone recommended a used engine. And yes LKQ would be a good idea. They will guarantee it and you can request a low mile engine and it will come with the VIN so you can check the history!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:21 PM   #76

To all, thanks for all your views on this. Gave me and my wife a lot to think about. This was my firsrt ever truck purchase and it was purchased for the sole purpose of towing the TT. I’ve only had it two years, and while I like the truck and feel it was a fair price when I bought it, I’m not emotionally attached. I don’t have the ability to do this engine change myself, so I will have to pay my mechanic to do it. At this point we feel that it’s more than we want to spend on this truck. While it’s in great shape, it is 16 years old. I’m gonna try to get the most I can for it as is. Hoping to find someone who see’s its potential.
Now that I have some towing under my belt, I’m gonna start looking for a good deal on a 2500. That’ll give me some head room in case we opt to upsize the TT in the future. Power to you guys and gals that can take on an engine swap yourself.
Again, thanks.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #77

Quote:
To all, thanks for all your views on this. Gave me and my wife a lot to think about. This was my firsrt ever truck purchase and it was purchased for the sole purpose of towing the TT. I’ve only had it two years, and while I like the truck and feel it was a fair price when I bought it, I’m not emotionally attached. I don’t have the ability to do this engine change myself, so I will have to pay my mechanic to do it. At this point we feel that it’s more than we want to spend on this truck. While it’s in great shape, it is 16 years old. I’m gonna try to get the most I can for it as is. Hoping to find someone who see’s its potential.
Now that I have some towing under my belt, I’m gonna start looking for a good deal on a 2500. That’ll give me some head room in case we opt to upsize the TT in the future. Power to you guys and gals that can take on an engine swap yourself.
Again, thanks.
Thanks for the update and wish you luck with you new truck. A lot of opinions, thoughts, ideas but it
In the end its a decision that you and your wife have to make because you have to live with it. Sounds like a great idea and forwarding thinking about going bigger for possible future needs. Again wish you luck and perhaps when you sell the old and pick out the new truck I hope to hear back on the final outcome. Thanks again.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:35 PM   #78

Good to hear. Glad to hear tat you are open to options. A 2500 will open you up to newer and bigger trailers......maybe a 5'er!

Good luck. If you stick wit a 2500 Ram make sure it is one with coil springs!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:44 PM   #79

I am partial to Chrysler products and have driven Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler, Ram's since the early 1960's and never purchased a new one...all preowned. Each one was driven in excess of 100,000 miles and some 200,000.

In all the years and all the miles, only blew one engine... a 383 that dropped an intake valve but still made it 9 miles to home. Pulled the 383 cu in motor and installed a used 383 purchased from a salvage yard ... the car was rear ended so no front damage..motor had 16,000 miles on it and drove it in excess of another 150,000 miles with no issues. Cost was $250. I pulled the old engine and installed the replacement myself .... easy peasy.

Some years later, bought a rollover car for the engine ... BIG MISTAKE. About 1200 miles later, a main bearing seized ... engine had run unsidedown and starved the crankshaft for oil. Never buy an engine from a rolloever. I had the engine rebuilt ... a 440 cu in six pack power house!

There are lots of low mileage 5.7 hemis in salvage yards with low miles if you look around. Never heard of 'jasper engines' in these parts.

If the rest of the truck is in decent condition, I'd replace the engine with a low mile one from a salvage yard....and save a ton of $$$.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:02 PM   #80

Quote:
So, the TV is a 2004 Ram 1500, 5.7L. 130,989 miles. Threw a valve on Saturday. Punctured the cylinder wall. Engine is a loss. Truck overall is in very good shape for it's age.
My dilemma is deciding to either replace the engine or replace the truck.
Never replaced and engine before. My mechanic has done dozens. He uses the Jasper engines and has a lot of confidence in them. Total replacement cost is $7000.
The value of this truck on the market is about $7,500. (with a working engine) I paid $8,500 for it two years ago.
If I replace the truck, I'd like to go newer, say 2010 or better with low miles. My online shopping is finding that I'd be into $15 -20K at minimum for that.

In my mind, I'm money ahead at this point to just fix the truck I have.

Curious about what ya'll opinions on this would be.
Been there, done that. I threw a rod on my 2004 Dodge Durango with 5.7 semi. It had 112,000 miles so I was in the same dilemma. My mechanic, who I have used for 15 years said he could replace the Hemi with a Jasper rebuilt w/warranty for $7800. I was on the fence, but saw that 10 year old SUVs with more miles were in the $10-12k range. I bit the bullet and dropped a new engine into the truck. During the engine replacement it was found that the intake had been damaged...$900 more, and then a few extra items needed replacement. Total out the door, about $9000, but I had my nice Durango with a new engine. Then a cascade of items started to go wrong with the Durango. When the fuel pump went out about 11 months after the new engine was installed, I threw in the towel and sold it "as is" for $3000...but not until I had about $11,000-$12,000 into it. Not my wisest investment. Bought a really nice 10 year old Escalade (my wife loved the Escalade) for a bit more than I had invested in my 2004 Durango.

I'm not saying what you should do, but I'd suggest you have a limit as to how far you are going to go investing in your current TV. Personally, I would have been better off donating the non-running vehicle to Good Will or the Salvation Army and taken the tax write off. Good luck on your decision.
kermitvb is offline   Reply With Quote