Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2020, 10:50 PM   #101

I can’t say why my father in law chose a new motor and i know dealerships are worse place to buy any part, but at the end of the day it was 10k give or take a few hundred. It was done by West Star auto in Monahans Tx. It was one of the trucks I mentioned in an earlier post. After the new engine was put in I drove it awhile, I put new tires on it and then I put just about 2200 in rebuilt transmission. The other truck in the post I did the work it was a short block from oriellys a 350 4 bolt main block was only $400 ish I did all labor except dual exhaust. I installed a few performance parts but still all in at around $3500. So I can see a 7k easy if pays all labor. While typing I did a quick search first site I went to jasper but appeared one might need to send in for quote so I went to summit and yes they had cheaper engines but here is screen shot Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0338.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	238265

Just a quick search first page resulted in this Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0337.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	238266

Finally a third a sight Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	238267Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	238268

It is a hemi for op year model and it appears to still need parts to be turn key. So 7k really is not that unreasonable especially buying one that comes with warranty.

Let’s say I could get a engine for 1500 from junk yard, I pay the mechanic to pull the original engine say 500 then I pay to install say 1000 that includes wiring everything so you can turn key and drive no rebuild of engine or parts while out and easy to do. I am in 3k without knowing anything about that engine. So I probably pay extra say another $1500 ( see bottom pic) so now I have a new rebuilt engine for $4500 no warranty. I can see 7k easy if not doing work yourself. Could he shop around and find a better deal most likely. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0341.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	238269
Old 09-03-2020, 09:32 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladShooter View Post
Mopar had problems with the 5.7 Hemi. Son in laws truck I believe lifters failed, ending up flattening cam, killing cylinders. Pushrods were going everywhere in his engine. Dealerships claimed ignorance on what was going on. I believe it was a VVT engine. Heavier trucks, 2500's, didn't have VVT. Because of this, good used engines are difficult to find. ECM has to be re-programmer to delete VVT. This is what I remember from 4 years ago, but it's close. Son in law put about $7000 in it, sold it later because he needed a 2500.
On the 2009 up they moved the camshaft up in the block. The oil returns miss drenching the camshaft like most engines. The camshaft bearings get pressurized oil, but the rollers on the lifters starve unless you get above 1500 rpm. So any 2009 up Hemi that idles a bunch (police cars especially) is going to have those needle bearings in the roller rocker fail and then it starts eating into the cam lobe. It makes a ticking sound, and when that starts you can replace just the bad lifter and save the cam. Most people just run it with the tick until it starts getting misfire codes and then it needs a new cam as well. There are aftermarket lifters that have a hole in the bottom (all of them have one in the top that oils the pushrods and rockers) that drops oil directly on the roller. I think they are $725 a set which isn't bad as the factory ones will be at least $400 a set.
https://hotrodenginetech.com/gen-iii...r-tick-solved/
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:55 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
On the 2009 up they moved the camshaft up in the block. The oil returns miss drenching the camshaft like most engines. The camshaft bearings get pressurized oil, but the rollers on the lifters starve unless you get above 1500 rpm. So any 2009 up Hemi that idles a bunch (police cars especially) is going to have those needle bearings in the roller rocker fail and then it starts eating into the cam lobe. It makes a ticking sound, and when that starts you can replace just the bad lifter and save the cam. Most people just run it with the tick until it starts getting misfire codes and then it needs a new cam as well. There are aftermarket lifters that have a hole in the bottom (all of them have one in the top that oils the pushrods and rockers) that drops oil directly on the roller. I think they are $725 a set which isn't bad as the factory ones will be at least $400 a set.
https://hotrodenginetech.com/gen-iii...r-tick-solved/
Many people fail to use the correct oil specified for those engines.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:19 PM   #104

I’m all about used. With less miles. Around here you can pay a little extra for lifetime warranty on part and labor..
77hdfx is offline   Reply With Quote