Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #1

To slide or not to slide!

Hey guys/gals, new to the forum and fifth wheels. Sorry if this has been talked about but not sure of salesman answers. We are going to pick up a 14 crusader285ret and it does have the molded front cover which is supposed to be for short box trucks, my question is how many of you guys pull with a fixed fifth wheel? How close is it and would we be ok or should we spend the extra money on a slider? Thanks in advance for any input. Tow vehicle is a 2006 2500HD
Crusadernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #2

I had the same question when I bought our 2013 Sabre 32bhok I picked it up 4 hours away in Tulsa, I negotiated the 5th wheel hitch into the deal, I will admit I wanted the slider but I would have had to wait another week to 10 days for it to arrive and other obligations only gave me one free weekend to make this trip so I went with the standard B&W Companion, I installed the Turnoverball gooseneck in my 2012 F250 a couple of days before I left so I wouldn't have to wait for them to do it and then I assembled the hitch at the dealership, I have the upright posts that the hitch head attaches to mounted in the most forward position and have plenty of room, with the posts in the farthest back position I would gain another 4" but I don't need it, every truck / trailer pin box combination is different.

If you are buying local and can get access to it you could always back up and position the kingpin directly over the axles and evaluate it before deciding, lots of people say it's better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2395633488.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	43974   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2090381116.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	43975  
2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
Hey guys/gals, new to the forum and fifth wheels. Sorry if this has been talked about but not sure of salesman answers. We are going to pick up a 14 crusader285ret and it does have the molded front cover which is supposed to be for short box trucks, my question is how many of you guys pull with a fixed fifth wheel? How close is it and would we be ok or should we spend the extra money on a slider? Thanks in advance for any input. Tow vehicle is a 2006 2500HD
I know many of the great people here can address your toe questions, but I can't. First thing that comes to mind for a non-technical person is comfort of extra space and resale. Not many rvs without slides these days as they are beyond high in demand; almost assumed. They do require extra maintenance and expense however.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
When I purchased my first 5th wheel I bought the sliding hitch.
I had and still do have a, well what was called a short box back then.

I used the slide the very first time when I was putting the new
5th wheel in its camping spot.

Haven't used the slide since.........lol.
But, if I ever really do need to use it someday I will have it.

I don't spend my money foolishly but I dont like shutting doors behind me either, and the cost differencwe wasn't that bad at the time.

Really you probably don't need it but for a few extra bucks atleast you know you'll have it if you ever need it.

John
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Denver, CO

The 5er should indicate if it is a reduced clearance model. If it is, you should be okay in all but a complete Jackknife. I do have one and like it, but if you have a choice the non slider is a little simpler.

My Slider (Pullrite Superglide) is great but you have to keep it adjusted and lubricated. Not a huge deal, admittedly, but something to consider if you don't absolutely need it.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #6

I don't have a slider and have no desire for one. On our first trip I had a goofy turn around some trees into a campsite and hit it with no problem. I do watch the front of the camper when I'm backing around a corner. Sure it could totally hit the cab if I overdid it but I've never had to get into a space so tight that I couldn't maybe take a couple of swings at it.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #7

I have a 14 crusader 315rst and a short bed f250. I also have pullrite auto slider but honestly don't think it's needed. It sits far enough away from the cab, it would take a hard jackknife to hit. But for the cost diff it was worth it to me in case I ever changed rigs and needed it in the future. Good luck!
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #8

You should not need the slider. I have a 06 dodge mega cab so my bed is 3 inches shorter than your chevy 6'3'' instead of 6' 6''. I bought the slider to be safe even though salesman told me i didn't need it. I have taken trailer to an empty parking lot and turned it so it was 90 degrees from truck still had room to spare, also pulling out of my driveway is almost 90 degrees and on a slope and i never slide it to rear position. The main problem with the slider is the extra lenght and weight when removing it from truck, during winter or if you need to haul something in bed. If i had it to do over I would not get the slider.
inspectorgf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide