Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #1

To slide ot not to slide

I currently have a Reese 16K slider, I want to upgrade to a Curt A16 or Q20 slider (friends we camp with have it and say it is extremely smooth compared to the Reese 16K)

Unfortunately either the A16 or the Q20 in the slider version is too tall, my Reese is set for 15" and the trailer is perfectly level, the Q20 and A16 slider sit at 17" 2" is way too much. (pin is adjusted all the way up so no option there)

soooo....since in my 12 years of having a 5th wheel and only using the slider twice and even that I don't think I really had to...was thinking about just going with the A16 non-slider...

Thoughts?
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #2

As far as to keeping the slider , that would depend on what your tow vehicle is. The A 16 is not even on a par with the Q20 , I have the 16 sitting in the garage and can't even sell it for a $100. (like New) I have upgraded to the Q20 and it is great, best for the price.
Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas
Sailor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #3

Most of the folks in my travel group with short beds have ditched their sliders. For those without the front caps that have enough corner indent for tighter turns, they went with sidewinders. Others, like you, rarely used theirs and just replaced with a regular hitch. Most of them were just tired of the very large, heavy, cumbersome slider taking up their bed.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:39 AM   #4

Well, as I sunk deeper into acquiring information, it looks like I can just buy the replacement leg kit for the Q20 and go with it as a non slider with an adjustment of 13 to 17...

I also was thinking that the 2 times I did slide it back was when I first got the hitch and thought, well I have to slide it back. It hasn't slid back since then, I am just cautious when I backup or take tight turns but even then it would pretty much take a jack-knife situation to make it hit..

Curt mfg tech support has been awesome!
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #5

To me , slides are just one more thing to go wrong. Don't need them , don't have them and don't want them.
Dpelaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:44 PM   #6

I had a slider for my 6.5' box, and in 6 years I never used it.. I actually removed the handle the last year to give me more room to put things in the truck. I would not bother with a slider the next time I think of upgrading
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #7
WFD

I got rid of my Reese 16K slider, and went with the Curt A16...no regrets whatsoever...don't miss the Reese for a second. The Curt is much easier to take in and out of the truck when i need to, and has performed very well for me. The slider took up too much box space, weighed too much. I have a 6 1/2 ft box, not a 5 1/2, so that makes a difference...slider was never used.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:49 AM   #8

Consider an Andersen Ultimate. Rated for 20K.
Lots of benefits, one of the best is weight. Clear your truck bed of the hitch in less than 1 minute to haul whatever. Hand the hitch to a 6 year old to carry to storage! Love mine.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Most of the folks in my travel group with short beds have ditched their sliders. For those without the front caps that have enough corner indent for tighter turns, they went with sidewinders. Others, like you, rarely used theirs and just replaced with a regular hitch. Most of them were just tired of the very large, heavy, cumbersome slider taking up their bed.
Id LOVE to ditch my slider but our camper, like yours has no cutback on the corners, in fact a bump on both sides sticks forward requiring me to slide it rear when backing the camper into a spot or into its cover at home.

It also maneuvers MUCH better with the rear wheels of the truck in front of the pivot point. I can't use a swiveling pin box because I can't back straight into the pin to hook up and they require a fairly straight shot back to hook up.

I dont' find it difficult to use the slider though as long as you keep the mechanism lubricated. Even spraying PB Blaster on it before sliding it works wonders.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I can't use a swiveling pin box because I can't back straight into the pin to hook up and they require a fairly straight shot back to hook up.
I see your points, but don't agree with the one above. I have hitched/unhitched at all kinds of angles with the sidewinder. One of our favorite spots requires the truck and trailer to be at about 25° in relation to each other. To rehitch you just turn the sidewinder to match the angle of the truck. All that needs to be aligned is the locking key behind the kingpin and the slot in your receiver that it fits in.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide