Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
And if you are pulling with an Ecoboost with max tow, it really isn't a 1/2 ton anyway!
Yes, current Truck classifications are rather obsolete. My payload capacity in my F150 is 2,493lbs!
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #22
Grape Escape

Had 2 trailers 23 and 29' Now a 33' mid range 5th wheel and would never step back. The ceiling height makes a tt feel claustraphobic. Most of the time I forget the 5th wheel is behind me whereas I always knew the tt was behind us and always nervous towing. Had to take some drastic defensive driving manouvers with the 5th and it swerved superbly with me staying in control. I know the tt would have lbe a write off with those manouvers
minimum 3/4 ton is definitely recommended for all modern 5th wheels
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #23
phat phrog stunt crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
Yes, current Truck classifications are rather obsolete. My payload capacity in my F150 is 2,493lbs!

sae standards will be changing either in 13 or 14 as they all will meet a standard testing for weight/tow capacity. will be interesting to see which of the truck manufacturers are close to what they advertise.

kind of like the horsepower wars in late 60's/early 70's when they went to a standard test and horsepower dropped like a stone.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #24

Well, you're asking a subjective question and you know that so take this for what it's worth.

Which one "pulls nicer".

I've towed both and in the strict confines of this question; neither.

A properly set up TT with a good WD hitch and sway control pulls the same as a 5th wheel for me.

My 35 foot TT crossed the entire continent with nary a twitch or wiggle. Side roads, interstates, tractor trailer passes, etc. Not a moment of white knuckle or even knowing it was back there.

Not ice I said "properly set up".

Where the two differ is in convenience. Both in hooking up and anything beside straight forward driving.

With a 5th, you back it into the foot and pull away (a bit oversimplified, but you get the idea). With a WD hitch it's line it up, latch, bars/chains, and pull away. Depending on you particular sway control, there can be a couple raise and lower the toungue to hook up the bars.

Backing up is pretty much the same. 5th - chuck the truck in reverse and back it in. Most WD hitches say you can back up, but the reality is pull up, unhook bars and then back in. If the rig isn't level or straight when you're done with a WD hitch, you're pretty much not getting the bars off or they're spring loaded to the point of dangerous.

Some say yo can cut a 5th tighter than a TT, but I credit this more to the driver than the hitch. I've backed my TT into spots guys couldn't go with a 5th and watched their mouths drop.

a 5th is overall shorter than a TT once hooked up, but you're got something like 6 feet up over the bed and now tongue length. No surprise there.

I've towed both, I prefer a TT.

But they both will pull fine once set up properly.

a 5th is just a bit more........ahem....."idiot proof"......than a TT when it comes to proper setup.

No offense intended to any of the guys out there that choose to "take the 5th".

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #25

Great reply great white! This is virtually the same response as a guy on the F150 forum with more than 50 years of towing. With a good quality and properly adjusted WDH towing a bigger TT is no problem. Cool on the driver experience re backing up and parking!
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #26
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
I've pulled both, owned both but have to agree it comes down to personal preference & budget. After years, I tend to go more in the 5er direction as it never sways, hitch is always right on, & when we arrive, 20-25 minutes later we are ready to drive away, never have to unload the truck bed first. Never had a cover or topper til this year. If we hadn't taken delivery 2000 mile from home we still probably wouldn't have one now. I've been going at this RV thing for about 40 years now and still believe its your personal preference & whatever your budget can stand.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #27

I have 2 friends who have 5'ers and I get a kick out of them when we ask them to go camping with us. The first thing they always ask is if the CG has pull through spots. They hate backing them for some reason. Probably lack of practice. No problems backing my TT.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
I have 2 friends who have 5'ers and I get a kick out of them when we ask them to go camping with us. The first thing they always ask is if the CG has pull through spots. They hate backing them for some reason. Probably lack of practice. No problems backing my TT.

The point I got from this is that your friends can't backup with a fifth wheel. Nothing to do with the unit. I didn't notice any difference in backing either a TT or a FW.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post

I'd say you friends need to hook up on some weekend and head to an empty parking lot for a couple hours of practice....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
I'd say you friends need to hook up on some weekend and head to an empty parking lot for a couple hours of practice....
I agree they do, that's why I laugh because they would rather camp somewhere that has pull thru's instead of practice backing. I've never backed a 5'er, so I can't say if it's harder, easier or the same as a TT.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #31
phat phrog stunt crew

regardless of whether or not its a 5th wheel or travel trailer, the longer the trailer, the easier it is to back up. notice i didnt say get it ino a site, just easier to back up. it all depends on where the trailer axles are in relation to the hitch. axles close in to tv, and it will turn very quickly. further away, and it will respond slower, but be easier to control.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
regardless of whether or not its a 5th wheel or travel trailer, the longer the trailer, the easier it is to back up. notice i didnt say get it ino a site, just easier to back up. it all depends on where the trailer axles are in relation to the hitch. axles close in to tv, and it will turn very quickly. further away, and it will respond slower, but be easier to control.
That is what makes fifth wheels easier to position in tight spots.
I have towed both, and the fifth wheel is definitely my preferred all around choice. Simply too many advantages to list.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #33

No sway and they pull so nicely, the fivers are my choice. Backing up was a little harder in the beginning but after a little pratice about the same. Having pulled both, its a fiver all the way.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #34

One of each and I much prefer the TT. WIthout the proper hitch setup, it does have more sway, though. The bonus to the 5er is more storage space in the basement, easier/quicker hookup, more headroom in most of the coach, and they are generally not as long (as a complete rig). The bonus to the TT is they are lower (think tree limbs and storage buildings) and they can often turn much tighter (think backing in on a turn).
Old 08-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #35
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A 5er is waaay easier to back than a tt.

If My dw wife can do it ...(and does it well) any man should be embarrassed that he can't or atleast learn how.

She once hauled our tt 150 miles , backed it in and leveled it in a torrential down pour.

Just sayin
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #36

"Sway" and "Sway Control"

There are 100's of RV-er's with the experience of hauling TT & FW, and when it comes to TT most accurately comment about "SWAY" and "SWAY CONTROL". But, there are very few RV-er's who UNDERSTAND how the HENSLEY HITCH eliminates sway. Yes, ELIMINATES sway, they eliminate the ball and tie your trailer into your truck in such a way that you can run 70-75 mph down hill and the trailer will not let you know that it is there trying to sway, sway is ELIMINATED. Also, when you disconnect, the hitch stays on the trailer and you are off to buy the beer, not wrestling 50lbs of steel !! "dealing with the WD hitch" is simply using an electric drill to spin the nuts on the struts, and your box is empty.
Yes, if you enjoy the floorplan of a FW buy a 3/4 ton plus and enjoy. If you have a beefed up 1/2 ton, and do not want to take a 3/4 ton to get the groceries the rest of the year then buy the high end TT and a high end hitch like the Hensley and enjoy. The tow will be enjoyable and not like the experience that most people quote that they had before moving "up" to the FW. But, to often, the "up" was very important and they will never be convinced that you can actually move "over" to a well appointed, roomy, costly, 30 foot plus TT, as long as you set it up with a Hensley type hitch and an electric jack.
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #37

Over the years I've owned a 5th wheel, seven travel trailers, a couple of slide in truck campers, and a couple of class "C" motorhomes. If money wasn't an object I'd have a diesel pusher motorhome now instead of a TT though...

I lock the WDH on the TT, find the loose spot with the elect jack when unhooking, and unpin the receiver hitch. I usually just push the truck forward until the hitch falls out of the receiver then just leave all of the WDH connected to the TT. I've done it so much over the years it's second nature, easy to do, both hooking and unhooking.

Never forget pulling the latch on the 5th wheel hitch bout the time I remembered I hadn't put the jacks down, fortunately it didn't roll out and crush the back of the truck like I've seen others do over the years. I never forgot it again after that episode though....whew.

The first time I backed the 5th wheel into a site was hilarious. I actually did find a parking lot before the next outing, and practiced backing it until I got comfortable. Still not as easy for me to back as a TT though. That being said I was pulling a 25' 5th wheel with a Ford Ranger, maybe that had something to do with it as well.
PawPawJim is offline   Reply With Quote