Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
Site Team

Toad brakes only work with toad key turned on

OK, a new problem has arisen. All brake lights on my Toad, 2006 jeep liberty 4x4, work with the jeep key turned on. But none work with key turned off.
Toad brakes work when RV brakes applied but no dash indicator light to tell me they're working, and no brake lights on toad unless key is turned on. They have all worked in the past. Jeep fuse is good. Brake switch works.
I'm searching for help in a jeep forum also but someone here may have had this problem before.
Thanks, David

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
OK, a new problem has arisen. All brake lights on my Toad, 2006 jeep liberty 4x4, work with the jeep key turned on. But none work with key turned off.
Toad brakes work when RV brakes applied but no dash indicator light to tell me they're working, and no brake lights on toad unless key is turned on. They have all worked in the past. Jeep fuse is good. Brake switch works.
I'm searching for help in a jeep forum also but someone here may have had this problem before.
Thanks, David
Got the jeep brake lights working with key off by moving wire to full time hot fuse. Still no Indicator light in motorhome.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #3

If it like mine there is a relay in the system to make it work like that, but I have a Ford Ranger.
shortkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #4

What kind of isolating harness are you using? I use the Hopkins 56200 and it works with the Jeep turned off and the key removed. The only glitch with that system is when you apply the brakes the turn signal, if flashing, quits working. Brake lights take priority and getting a system that works around that increases the cost quite a lot. The turn/brake lights on the Forester are visible when the Jeep is hooked up.

Brake indicator light....for what type of braking system?

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-56200...gateway&sr=8-1
Old 06-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #5

My only experience in this area is from the drive-in movies.

Over 50 years ago...
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
My only experience in this area is from the drive-in movies.

Over 50 years ago...

x2 That's why I preferred the back seat!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #7

You didn't mention what brake system you have or how the tail/brake/turn signals are wired. We have a 2012 Jeep Liberty toad, so lets see if this is the answer.

We are using a Blue Ox Patriot brake system, a Blue Ox tail/brake/turn kit, a battery tender, and a 7-pin to 6-pin umbilical cable. When we bought the Jeep, the cigarette lighter plug in the dash would only work with the ignition on. We had also added a class 3 hitch on the back of the Jeep and had to have it "flashed" to get the Jeep 7-pin to a trailer to work.

While at the dealer, we inquired about the cigarette lighter. The tech took me over to the Jeep, pointed out the fuse under the hood, popped the fuse out and moved it one position. Moving the fuse makes the cigarette lighter active without the ignition on. I can't give you the fuse position, because we don't have access to it. It is shown in the owners manual.

I completely circumvented the Jeep wiring for the Jeep rear lights and used the Blue Ox kit. The 6th wire position on the umbilical was used to provide power to the battery tender on the Jeep battery. It charged the battery only when the MH ignition was on.

All of this worked flawlessly.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #8
Site Team

Thanks all. In my own reply (post #2) I resolved the key on issue. But still can't get the dash led indicator to come in when brakes in toad are applied.
Brake system is Invisibrake, wiring is 7 - 6 pin rounds.
Roadmaster falcon towbar.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Thanks all. In my own reply (post #2) I resolved the key on issue. But still can't get the dash led indicator to come in when brakes in toad are applied.
Brake system is Invisibrake, wiring is 7 - 6 pin rounds.
Roadmaster falcon towbar.
If the brake system is functioning properly, it could be the LED light has failed. You may want to throw that question past Invisibrake.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, toad