Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #1

TOAD: Pulling Fuses

We are currently towing a 2016 GMC Acadia behind our Georgetown 351DS. This is a new vehicle, replacing a 2009 Saturn Outlook that was involved in an accident. The Outlook and Acadia are basically the same vehicle.

We went with the Blue Ox components, and both vehicles require pulling a 50-amp fuse from under the hood. The 2016 Acadia also recommends pulling the OnStar fuses which are located in the battery box, which of course is located under the floor behind the passenger seat (I would've never found that....lol).

In the Outlook I had purchased the Blue Ox fuse bypass switch for this vehicle (BX88271-BX88274, BX88294 Fuse Bypass Switch | Blue Ox). It was simple to install in the fuse box, but not the easiest to get mounted for use, and they've gone up in price quite a bit. Simple to use however, a quick flip of the switch and you're done! They also offer a switch for the OnStar fuses.

My question is this - for those of you who pull fuses when flat-towing, do you use a bypass switch? If yes, did you buy or build one? I'd love to just wire it all up to some switches on the dash or inside the glove box, but I'm not an electrical expert by any means. Just looking for some advice on wire gauge, types of switches, stuff like that from anyone that's done something similar.

Thanks for any help!!

Tom
Old 03-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #2

The easiest and most foolproof way to set it up is by using a dedicated outlet that is hooked up directly to the battery. You really do not want to use one of the outlets in the dash as there usually fused with 10 or 15 amp fuses and light gauge wire.
I'll direct you to RVI2 website, there because it's what I have and there are some good pic's and vidio about the set up. They use a heavy duty outlet, heavier wire and a 20 amp fuse. Its hookes directly to battery, so even if you pull a fuse, it will not affect the outlet.
Another problem that many might not be aware of is battery drain. You may pull fuses from the vehicle, and run the mentioned outlet kit, but you have to remember, everytime you hit your brakes and the supplemental brake system activates, it's drawing a small bit of power from the battery, and there is nothing charging it. A day or two of stop n go traffic could drain it.
Again, RVI2 website lists a Towed Battery Charger. This hooks into the coachs wiring. I tapped into the hot wire on my Lexi's 7 pin/wire harness. This is the same hot wire that would charge an rv trailer battery while being towed.
I have both, and there are alternatives, but these are what I'm fimilar with, and may give you some idea's.
12 Volt Battery Direct Kit
Towed Battery Charger
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
The easiest and most foolproof way........
Grumpy
Thanks, I did find some posts on IRV2, and still have some digging to do! It's a start!

Thanks,

Tom
Old 03-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wandering Irishman View Post
Thanks, I did find some posts on IRV2, and still have some digging to do! It's a start!

Thanks,

Tom
Tom, the web site is RVI2 Brake Systems, not the IRV2 rv web site.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Tom, the web site is RVI2 Brake Systems, not the IRV2 rv web site.
Grumpy
Ha! Thanks.....I didn't catch that, however looked at the RVI2 site as well. That's funny...thanks for pointing it out!

Tom

Tags
fuse, toad