Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #1

TOAD setup for 335DS and 2013 Buick Enclave

OK, I have searched virtually all the posts in this and other forums regarding towing my 2013 Enclave. Lots of information, lots of misinformation, lots of conflicting information. So, I decided to post what I intend to do and why to see if anyone can comment on my plan.

2014/2015 Class A Georgetown 335 DS.
Ford F-53 GVWR 20,500 lbs, GCWR 26,000
Towing capacity from chassis manual 7,000...but seems to be 5,500 lbs

Blue OX tow bar 10,000 capacity
Blue OX Brake Buddy Apollo, break away switch, cable, Blue Ox Tow plates
Enclave curb weight: 4,724

Seems the math works on these variables...

The real question relates to battery fuse removal, battery discharge during towing, etc.

Using a 7 way cable, #10 ground and #10 battery charge lines, the rest are #14. 6 position receptacle with ground and battery charge line going through a 20 amp auto reset breaker and a copper buss bar connection to the positive jump start connection under the hood. So the battery should be fine when running as long as the F-53 alternator system is functional (which it is!)

Transmission in neutral and key in the "ACC" position. There is no wheel lock.

Some say remove the 50 amp battery fuse, some also remove the Onstar and ECM fuses...to avoid a dead battery!!!! Some say that removing the fuses is only because of battery discharge since the key is left in the ACC position and the parasitic loads from the Enclave are around 5 amps in that position. But some say with a charge line to leave them all in, since the 20 amp charge line will easily handle the loads and all should be well without removing the fuses. Should easily get 5 amps back from the F-53.

Some say that in the "ON" position, the odometer will continue to run, most say that in the "ACC" position that will not happen.

I intend on turning the key off when not on the road for more than an hour or so, since the battery would go dead without the coach charging it.

Comments? Agreements? Disagreements?

Thanks to all.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #2

the trailer charge line should handle those loads, but 5 amps sounds high for ACC nothing running.
thamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #3

I know. Go that from one of the errant posts...treat with grain of salt, although the compressor in the Brake Buddy is hefty.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, toad