Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #1

tongue jack stripped

Brand new 2014 Rockwood Roo 19, first time out- the tongue jack stripped. To make matters worse, after bringing it to the dealer, "camping world" they sat on it for a week. When I called to follow up on it, I received the "we just received approval to do the repairs from Forest River" and its okay to do the repairs. I followed up with a call the following day to see if they needed to order parts which may delay the repair. The response was "we just received an okay this morning to order the parts for the repair, but we put a rush on the parts". I was told that my trip for the 4th of July most likely will not occur....are you kidding? I brought it in for the tongue jack repair on the morning of June 18th, I cannot expect to use the NEW RV on June 30 or July 1st. I bought this RV early May, used it once on Fathers Day weekend and the jack broke. Now I am told to not expect to use it for a 4th of July camping trip. Wow? Any input?
MuskyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:38 AM   #2

Do you have the ability to remove it and install another?
I'd buy one, put it on and then never go back.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:20 AM   #3
Site Team

first, how did it strip?
second, didn't you get the wrench to use it manually?
third, NEVER believe a dealer when they make such statements. they'll always put the blame on the manufacturer, to deflect your anger away from them.
for example, i can't count the number of posts i've seen where the dealer blamed the manufacturer for parts delay, when the customer found out that the dealer hadn't even placed to parts order until they got more parts to order, so they could save the shipping costs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:54 AM   #4
ARLO

backup

you can probably purchase a manual tongue jack at Camping World for about $35 or$40 dollars.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:43 AM   #5

tongue jack stripped

FR, warranty service has been very good to me, mention what's wrong( send ) pics and it's a done deal. 3-4 days for normal shipping at no cost. Speak with Mark in warranty section. I would pick it up and use it manually, don't let that stop you having a fun time for the 4th.
10Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:26 AM   #6

You most likely just broke the Bevel Gear or shear pin. 10 minute repair. Did you remove the head of the jack to confirm what broke?
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #7

I simply jacking it up to remove it from my vehicle when it started to slip. I removed the cover and saw that one of the teeth broke off. Not sure if anything else was broke, but if we pulled the handle and cranked at the same time it worked but it took a lot of strength.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #8

I think it was both...I could see that one of the teeth were broke off. Based on its operation I think a shear pin must have broke too. I had my previous trailer for 12 years, never had a problem. This one isn't starting out so well. I already decided that I will not go back to this dealer again- to buy or service
Old 06-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Rather than miss the campout, I would go to Harbor Freight/Farm & Fleet/Northern Tool, etc and get a manual and go put it on at the dealer and leave.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Rather than miss the campout, I would go to Harbor Freight/Farm & Fleet/Northern Tool, etc and get a manual and go put it on at the dealer and leave.
Yep I'm with you on this one.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskyD View Post
I was told that my trip for the 4th of July most likely will not occur....are you kidding? I brought it in for the tongue jack repair on the morning of June 18th, I cannot expect to use the NEW RV on June 30 or July 1st. I bought this RV early May, used it once on Fathers Day weekend and the jack broke. Now I am told to not expect to use it for a 4th of July camping trip. Wow? Any input?
3-4 weeks for a warranty repair seems to be the norm...

One of our Trail Express tires completely seperated from the side wall in May. Called the dealer - he said bring it in on June 9th. FR agreed to warranty the tire even though it was a month past the warranty from Lionshead ( the tire supplier). Felt good about that - until 2 weeks go by and no tire. Had a trip planned and wasn't happy. The dealer "found" me a spare in the shop or off a used unit on the lot. So at least we could use it. Still waiting for the tire. So, net result, went 80 miles round trip to drop off. 80 miles round trip to retrieve with the loaner tire, still need to go 80 miles round trip to swap that for my new tire. Cost of that is probably more than the tire is worth.

And, the kitchen faucet also had an issue from work the dealer did in the fall. Not a warranty item. They had the part in 3 days and installed it the day it arrived. So, at least in this case, I do think the issue is with the factory. We've had no issues getting warranty items approved, but if parts are required, it takes a while.

I would try asking them if they have any way to get you going for your trip, and otherwise, the suggestion to buy a cheap manual jack is probably better than missing your trip.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #12

Tell them you are going to use the camper for the holiday, then bring it back. Instruct them to keep the parts on order, and make a new apt when they are actually ready to install. For the holiday, just install a cheap HF jack. After the powered jack is replaced, keep the manual jack as a spare.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
Site Team

that's one of the advantages of NOT ordering the trailer with a power jack and simply installing one of your choosing, not the factory's choosing.

it's so simple to install and refurb units are so inexpensive, that if you do this, then you still have the factory manual jack as a backup.

it's a 15 minute job to install one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #14

While we're on the topic, what exactly is the process for replacing a hand-cranker with a powered unit? I know about the 3 bolt that hold it in. More about what's involved to power the thing. Do you tap into the trailer's wiring? Or would I simply have another pair of wires to connect to the battery terminals each time I pull the camper out of storage?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
While we're on the topic, what exactly is the process for replacing a hand-cranker with a powered unit? I know about the 3 bolt that hold it in. More about what's involved to power the thing. Do you tap into the trailer's wiring? Or would I simply have another pair of wires to connect to the battery terminals each time I pull the camper out of storage?
Just one wire, hook it to the battery terminal block, positive side. It should have an inline fuse.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #16

Thanks. I just dug some more, and see that the ground is handled thru the attachment bolts. Zip-tie this wire to the positive trailer main, and it should be pretty simple.