Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #1

Tongue weight

Going to open up a can of worms here. I would like to see how some of you figure your tongue weight. Went online I have found over 5 ways people have figured theirs. Crazy
Dndfunteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:34 AM   #2
Insert witty title here

The only way to know with absolute certainty is to load your camper as if you are going camping and head to the nearest CAT scales. I've never actually weighed my TT so I use 15% of the GVWR which is 1400lbs for me.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:36 AM   #3

I actually made a DIY tongue scale. 4x4, bathroom scale, couple pipes, etc. I test it on myself before weighing the trailer. Works well, but is very sensitive to being level across top of 4x4 (my weight fluctuated by 60# when testing). I also hit CAT scale w/ and w/o trailer hooked up so I know my tongue weight on TV while towing. Sitting trailer tongue is around 825#, tongue on TV w/ WDH hooked is 740#. And yes, I know my tongue is heavy for the Durango, but axles are under max, so I can live with it.
And yes, you opened a can of worms
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:36 AM   #4

Honestly.......I never have.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
I actually made a DIY tongue scale. 4x4, bathroom scale, couple pipes, etc. I test it on myself before weighing the trailer. Works well, but is very sensitive to being level across top of 4x4 (my weight fluctuated by 60# when testing). I also hit CAT scale w/ and w/o trailer hooked up so I know my tongue weight on TV while towing. Sitting trailer tongue is around 825#, tongue on TV w/ WDH hooked is 740#. And yes, I know my tongue is heavy for the Durango, but axles are under max, so I can live with it.
And yes, you opened a can of worms
this is the method that i use as well. works very well. you can buy a scale that your trailer tongue sits on as well. it is specifically designed for this. there are even some hitch balls that can do this.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=tongue+scale
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #6

Pretty simple

I use mine periodically for my camper and towing other trailers such as boats and U-hauls. Trailer fishtailing is the result of bad weight and balance.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:28 AM   #7

I went to scale already. I need to see formulas that people are using. There are so many out there. And yes I have thought about buying one of the scales.
All numbers look ok except for the tongue looks a little high but could be the formulas getting different numbers depending on which one I use
Old 12-04-2018, 11:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dndfunteam View Post
I went to scale already. I need to see formulas that people are using. There are so many out there. And yes I have thought about buying one of the scales.
All numbers look ok except for the tongue looks a little high but could be the formulas getting different numbers depending on which one I use
I don't think a formula is going to tell you the 'actual' tongue weight of a loaded trailer. Different people owning the same trailer will have different tongue weights because they load different stuff in different places, some carry water and some don't, etc. You can use formulas to give you a range for sizing a TV, but nothing will give you the actual number except weighing it. I'm always interested in weights, what did the scale say?
Old 12-04-2018, 11:44 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
When you went to the scales;
1. Did you weigh the rig with the WDH hooked and unhooked?
2. Did you weigh just the tow vehicle?
3. Did you weigh just the RV?
Old 12-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #10

The complications of "formulas" are why I just use a tongue weight scale. Not even 4th grade math required.

Tongue weight the day you brought the trailer home is different from today.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
At the scale, you should have been able to calculate the tongue weight:
How to Weigh a Travel Trailer | Learn To RV

And then I have a tool for calculating tongue weight:
Actual Weights - Travel Trailer/Bumper Pull Weights from CAT Scales - Towing Planner

Weighing is the only accurate way of determining tongue weight. But as for estimating tongue weight, I personally think the best way is to take the dry tongue weight divided by the dry camper weight. That’ll give you a percentage. Increase that percentage by 1% and then multiply that by the actual or estimated weight of the camper.

Sounds complicated but I have a tool for doing it:
Estimating Tongue/Pin Weight from Dry Weights - Towing Planner
Old 12-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
At the scale, you should have been able to calculate the tongue weight:

How to Weigh a Travel Trailer | Learn To RV

And then I have a tool for calculating tongue weight:

Actual Weights - Travel Trailer/Bumper Pull Weights from CAT Scales - Towing Planner

Weighing is the only accurate way of determining tongue weight. But as for estimating tongue weight, I personally think the best way is to take the dry tongue weight divided by the dry camper weight. That’ll give you a percentage. Increase that percentage by 1% and then multiply that by the actual or estimated weight of the camper.

Sounds complicated but I have a tool for doing it:

Estimating Tongue/Pin Weight from Dry Weights - Towing Planner

Those are the same sites I used. It says tongue weight at 880 ughhh

Another site said 740 they took the steer and drive axle from the scale with trailer attached minus truck only weight and said that was the tongue weight 740 I was hoping

Another site 420 which I knew was way off I’ll just invest in a scale also

Ok the last formula you use I can’t seem to find this number Dry tongue/ hitch weight is this on the truck or trailer. I already took to cat scales and have all measurements

I know we are just below all measurement except tongue. The tongue weight is crap 880 because payload is low. We cant get new vehicle Till 2020. We have pulled on 4 short trips already. Trailer looks level across no tipping either direction
Old 12-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Those are the same sites I used. It says tongue weight at 880 ughhh

Another site said 740 they took the steer and drive axle from the scale with trailer attached minus truck only weight and said that was the tongue weight 740 I was hoping

Another site 420 which I knew was way off I’ll just invest in a scale also

Ok the last formula you use I can’t seem to find this number Dry tongue/ hitch weight is this on the truck or trailer. I already took to cat scales and have all measurements

I know we are just below all measurement except tongue. The tongue weight is crap 880 because payload is low. We cant get new vehicle Till 2020. We have pulled on 4 short trips already. Trailer looks level across no tipping either direction

Another question what if I up the blue ox swaypro to a 1000 maxi tongue weight would that help I think it’s just a switch out of the bars
Old 12-05-2018, 07:12 AM   #14

One thing to note about dual axle trailer tongue weight is that there will be variations due to hysteresis. In another words tongue weight will change with height and depending on if you raised the tongue to level or lowered it to level they may not be the same. Don’t agonize over it.
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:32 AM   #15
Coach

If you've been to the cat scales and weighed with and without the tt, all you have to do is look at the truck rear axle weights. Take your truck's rear axle weight from the slip with the tt attached and subtract the rear axle weight of the truck without the tt. That will be your hitch weight.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Another question what if I up the blue ox swaypro to a 1000 maxi tongue weight would that help I think it’s just a switch out of the bars
You are kind of in the same boat I am, the increase in tongue weight when the TT was loaded caught me off guard. Anyway, I don't know what weight bars you have now, but I'm using 1000# on my E2 WDH. After getting the hitch dialed in, the TT tows great. I can't say whether heavier bars will help because I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. Are you not comfortable with the way it tows?
Old 12-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
If you've been to the cat scales and weighed with and without the tt, all you have to do is look at the truck rear axle weights. Take your truck's rear axle weight from the slip with the tt attached and subtract the rear axle weight of the truck without the tt. That will be your hitch weight.
You mean the voodoo formula for calculating tongue weight looks something like this:

Rear axle weight with the trailer attached - the rear axles weight = Tongue Weight

Seems like a straight forward "formula" to me....actually just a very simple subtraction equation.

Dndfunteam, please post the findings from your scale tickets.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

I use mine periodically for my camper and towing other trailers such as boats and U-hauls. Trailer fishtailing is the result of bad weight and balance.

-- Chuck
X2 . no need to run to the scales every time i want to check TW . this will pay for it's self
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #19

I have a scale I use at the Cotton Gin just down the road. It has a lit display in the window on all the time. Off season I can do whatever I want to do on it. I pull on and weigh front axle then all four on the truck, pull up until the trailer axles are almost on then I can dolly down, pull off and get the tongue weight, hitch up pull ahead for total weight. It's an open platform with no rub rails so I can even get side to side weight for the trailer.

For my 5th wheel I have used their forklift to get the pin weight. First weigh the forklift, pull the trailer on just before the axles are on the platform and unhitch, bring the forklift on and lift the front up and do the math for the pin weight.

It does help that I work here part time during the harvest season.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
You mean the voodoo formula for calculating tongue weight looks something like this:

Rear axle weight with the trailer attached - the rear axles weight = Tongue Weight

Seems like a straight forward "formula" to me....actually just a very simple subtraction equation.

Dndfunteam, please post the findings from your scale tickets.

I used formula from the above person named. Ependydad. Pics attached. The way you say to do it comes up a different number

Rear axle attached 3540 - just truck rear axle 3027= 513 tongue

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0967.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	192651Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0968.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	192652Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0969.JPG
Views:	200