Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2021, 08:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I think he was talking to me. I know I'm within limits of my F150 with WDH, but I haven't done a weigh in fully loaded yet. And I'm not going to pay over a hundred bucks for a one use scale. Heading over to CAT scales this season.
I get that, I'm a gadget guy so I had to have one. I like knowing when I leave I'm running 16-17% tongue weight, and then leaving with full waste tanks how it cuts the tongue weight down to 14ish%

Old 03-28-2021, 08:49 AM   #22

Apex Nano 213RDS

I posted this on another thread and am reposting here if you have other guidance:

The stamped emblem on the tow chain of our 2021 Apex Nano Off Grid reads an empty weight of 4033#. My Sherline tongue scale is on order bc with battery, 2 propane tanks, 10 gal water, 50#s on top of the queen bed, empty fridge, and about 80# in front storage, it tows poorly. I believe it's quite front heavy.
TV is 2019 GMC Canyon diesel (340# torque) with factory tow package of 7000# capacity, 1460# payload, 700# hitch weight, factory electric brake control and anti sway. Hitch is Andersen WDH anti sway. The squat is 1" on front axle and almost 2 on rear; that's seems to be a lot.
I'll put a couple hundred # aft of the camper axles, measure with the Sherline, and repost.
Bobnjudy78748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:37 AM   #23

Random thoughts:

Check your trailer's weight, not just the tongue weight. This is a 6000 pound GVWR trailer and requires 10% to 15% of the trailer's weight on the ball for safe towing. If loaded near capacity that's 600 to 900 pounds. Which your truck may not be capable of handling.

Unless you know the trailer's weight I'd not randomly put weight behind the trailer axle.

Not sure how you're getting squat on the front axle unless you have the WDH set exceedingly high so while you're weighing things get the weights on all axles with the trailer attached.

-- Chuck
Old 03-28-2021, 11:44 AM   #24

Good idea. When we get it loaded for camping I'll weigh truck & trailer then truck to subtract to get camper weight. I'll verify with the Sherline to jockey stuff around to +- 13%.
Our previous camper was Escape 5.0 TA which is about same weight but mini 5th wheel configuration.
Judy wanted more layout so now I have a 25' bumper pull and it's a completely different towing experience. I'll have it figured out by the 3rd outing.
Bobnjudy78748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:35 PM   #25

Can you use a WDH on a highlander, It is unibody construction I believe. sometimes they do not recommend WDH with that type of frame.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boborc View Post
Can you use a WDH on a highlander, It is unibody construction I believe. sometimes they do not recommend WDH with that type of frame.
The owner's manual should cover this and provide the correct answer.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:56 PM   #27
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boborc View Post
On top of TitanMike's most accurate answer, I am aware of two similar vehicles that mfr tells you not to: Honda Pilot (Not recommended), and VW Atlas (flat out don't do it). I think they make these vehicles with tow packages so Lance Armstrong Spandex wearing wannabes can stick a bike rack into the hitch receiver. Or maybe pull a trailer with a motorcycle on it.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tongue weight, weight