Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2021, 04:29 PM   #21

Bingo

Gauchio 10 I believe you got it figured out for class 3. So your safe on your tongue weight with a properly set up WDH. This site and a little filter off the internet make you go through the steps on how to setup your WDH and hopefully feel better about your trailer sway
Should_Have is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:04 PM   #22

Right now my trailer is all set for the winter but come next spring I will get more familiarized with its tongue weight, proper set up of the weight distribution hitch, installation of the new sway bar and a few other minor issues. Now, all I have to find is a good level Walmart parking lot. LOL
gaucho10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho10 View Post
while discussing similar topic as here.

Attachment 265635

So I guess that if I have a Class III hitch that is good for 5,000 lb. towing and 500 lb. TW if you use a weight distribution hitch the weight allowance increases.
You realize that photos is not a class 3 hitch right?
Old 11-11-2021, 05:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post

No I didn't but does that matter? BTW...I don't know if you know this but that forum is discussing a V-5 hitch. A V-5 hitch is not the same as a Class V hitch. It is a designation for something else.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:39 PM   #25

I managed to crawl under my truck and removed what appeared to be a sticker attached to my receiver and was painted over with black paint. After scraping paint of the small sticker and looking at it over a microscope I managed to this information:
"Consult Your Owner’s Manual For Maximum Vehicle Towing Capacity and Recommended Towing Procedures. 32729C V-5 Made in Mexico 123170".
Old 11-11-2021, 06:17 PM   #26

Quote:
No I didn't but does that matter? BTW...I don't know if you know this but that forum is discussing a V-5 hitch. A V-5 hitch is not the same as a Class V hitch. It is a designation for something else.
It is not the same as a class three either.
Quote:
I managed to crawl under my truck and removed what appeared to be a sticker attached to my receiver and was painted over with black paint. After scraping paint of the small sticker and looking at it over a microscope I managed to this information:
"Consult Your Owner’s Manual For Maximum Vehicle Towing Capacity and Recommended Towing Procedures. 32729C V-5 Made in Mexico 123170".
What does your manual say?
Old 11-11-2021, 06:21 PM   #27

Quote:
It is not the same as a class three either.

What does your manual say?

Good question...I will be looking at that tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:25 PM   #28

Question...Am I allowed to attach a link to another forum where they are discussing what I am trying to explain here?
Old 11-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #29

Quote:

Hey, you can’t just say what it isn’t, without saying what it is. That’s just bad etiquette.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
deleted
I was going to let this go but I changed my mind. Agree, disagree...have at it like a man. Quoting someone and then removing words from their sentence is not cool. Changing the words to alter the meaning is even lower. I'm sure your deleted text was fun.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:11 AM   #31

Quote:
I was going to let this go but I changed my mind. Agree, disagree...have at it like a man. Quoting someone and then removing words from their sentence is not cool. Changing the words to alter the meaning is even lower. I'm sure your deleted text was fun.
I deleted because I don't find your comments worthwhile to respond too yet here I am. Your post reinforced my thinking. Enough said.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:59 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
I deleted because I don't find your comments worthwhile to respond too yet here I am. Your post reinforced my thinking. Enough said.
I couldn't care less what you do to your words or choose to respond to...but somehow you deleting my words (in a quote) to change the meaning of my sentence is worthwhile to you.

Enough said is right...I know all I need to know about you.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:10 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Do that and the best possible scenario is that you’ll have one of the scariest towing experiences of your life by the time you hit 45mph. Worst case scenario is that AND you end up with a totaled truck and trailer and a few casualties. You need at LEAST 10% tongue weight, but 13-15% is better. Get a good weight distribution hitch and have it setup by someone that knows what they’re doing. This last requirement will exclude many dealerships unfortunately.

Without a doubt, it would appear that my dealership has messed up both of my WDH setups. First Rv and I was actually 350 pounds over my trucks max weight, without adding extra gear to truck bed for camping. Second RV, epro obviously much lighter, but the simply put on the hitch at a measured height and done. Never calculated drop of truck for off setting hitch. My next RV purchase will be a new dealer, and I’ve learned enough to know now.
CampingTripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #34

Hitch Class 3 ratings & other ramblings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Should_Have View Post
1/2 Ton can tow your trailer. I haven't look up class 3 hitch, but went off the 500 lb tongue weight limit you supplied. Not sure if class 3 can accept weight distribution hitch
Class 3 Hitch can tow up to 8,000lbs, tongue weight limit of 800lbs.

Class 3 hitch and WDH go hand in hand.

The OP is living dangerously, having never taken their rig to a CAT scale or equivalent. Famous last words, I've always done it this way..... no problem. That philosophy leads to complacency creating a dangerous situation for the public.
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #35

Tongue Weight

Richy, the vast majority of us have never been on a cat scale and are doing well and towing safely. Once the OP adjusts his WD hitch correctly and has a sway control device, everything should be fine.

The key is to have a TV that is rated to the TT, an appropriate hitch that is installed and adjusted properly, and appropriate sway control. Sadly, I don't think that RV dealers can be universally relied on to do all of the above.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:57 PM   #36

Quote:
dustman_stx, I do have a good weight distribution hitch that I got with the trailer but the sway control arm was missing so I just purchased one that fits the holes on the trailer frame
The weight distribution hitch does not take away from the weight rating of the hitch. It just distributes some of the weight to the front suspension.
gw1800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Should Have, I asked the sales people at the dealership if the 1/4 ton trucks would be able to tow a 24' trailer and (Chevy, Dodge, GMC) dealers said that the trucks were designed to tow such trailers...Maybe not???

BTW, I never had a problem with sway with the 24 footer but this 27 footer is not only longer but also has a bottom clearance of about 18" and is around 18" taller than my 24 footer. When I brought the 27' trailer home I noticed some sway but when I took a one week vacation down to Cape Cod (~230 mi.) I was deffinitely fealing the sway. I will see if I can measure the tongue weight of the trailer. I saw some technique for using a house scale and some planks to accomplish that short of going to a public weight scale.
Do you really have a 1/4 truck? If so, I don't know of any (decent sized) camper you could safely tow. 1/2 ton is the minimum for a tow vehicle, unless you are pulling a Scamp.
jcarenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:18 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarenz View Post
Do you really have a 1/4 truck? If so, I don't know of any (decent sized) camper you could safely tow. 1/2 ton is the minimum for a tow vehicle, unless you are pulling a Scamp.
He said he has a 1500 series. Those are half tons.

My 2015 Silverado has a class III/IV hitch rated at 1200lbs. This is with the HD tow package.
gw1800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:16 AM   #39

Over loaded tongue weight

You need a Trailer Toad!!!!!

TrailerToad.com

I have their 5000 lb unit behind my 24' Class C and tow
a 14K lb racecar trailer that has over 2000 lb tongue weight
and its wonderful.
rkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #40

Quote:
I'm not sure if you just could have worded this better or if you don't know...

Its not really your receiver that has a dual rating...its your truck. Anything above 500lbs caused enough of a handling issue during testing that weight above that requires a wdh.

True. Some trucks, like GM, have up to 700 pound non WD tongue weight, but majority of trucks using class III and class IV receivers have a bumper rating of only 500 pounds.

These hitches are rated to bumper rating for the majority of vehicles they are configured for. Max on most trucks without a receiver, IE a ball in the bumper itself is 500 pounds.

The receiver itself is rated to the maximum it is designed for regardless if it has a WDH or not installed.

Believe it or not, all receivers do follow a standard.

Regardless of what receiver is installed, you can put a class V on your truck if you try hard enough, you MUST adhere to what the owners manual states for non WDH weights. That non WDH weight rating is there for a reason, proper handling.

Tags
tongue weight, weight