Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Agree. Trailer looks way too big for an SUV.
That's not what the trailer salesman said...
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Unfortunately, based on what I see on the road each day during my 120 mile commute, there are more improperly setup trailers than properly set up ones. I'm not surprised that we don't see this more often. Can't tell you how many bumper setups I see without even a WDH and/or the most basic friction anti-sway bar. Most folks I see don't even put a lock pin in the hitch to prevent it from accidentally popping open.

Did this guy have a brake controller? If so, he was absolutely cluless as to the appropriate measure to take when sway first started. If he did have a brake controller, I'm pretty sure he didn't know it could be applied manually and some rv tech probably set up the gain initially to make things idiot proof.

My philosophy is that if you don't have basic mechanical sense and abilities, you shouldn't be towing a camper. Problem is when I see a bad WDH setup that doesn't do anything, I get the usual response, "that's how my RV dealership set it up." Folks don't know understand or want to learn how anything works and rely too much on other's to do things for them and this is the result.

Drew

PS I'm frustrated as you obviously can tell. A neighbor bought a new toyhauler and I asked if he did a thorough PDI. He said the dealer took care of all of that. I ended up wasted a full day off fixing all of the crap that that should have been done on a PDI on his camper. His 2 year extended warranty is pretty much worthless since he bought it out of state and no local dealership has any openings until after camping season is over to look at this camper. Oh, he doesn't have a weight distributing hitch either because the RV dealer told him he doesn't need one on his bumper pull because he tows it with a 3/4 ton truck.

Worst things I see most of the time is Speed, I stay in the right lane do 60-65 with a 2016 F350 PSD Crew SB and a 2013 Crusader loaded 9500#'s so plenty of truck to tow this trailer but speed is not something I prefer to try.

I have seen overloaded trucks pulling Cedar Creek 5th wheels at 85 passing me like I was standing still
Old 07-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #23
Just as confused as you

I've seem TV's without a hitch reciever. The owners just put a ball on the bumper and think all is good. I wouldn't pull a pup with the bumper as thin as they are made. Does anyone remember the hitches you used to get that chained to the bumper?
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #24

Should have had a ProPride hitch

2016 Camping Nights = 32
2017 Camping Nights = 14
Ripley711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I've seem TV's without a hitch reciever. The owners just put a ball on the bumper and think all is good. I wouldn't pull a pup with the bumper as thin as they are made. Does anyone remember the hitches you used to get that chained to the bumper?
Darn don't bring those up,the Clamp type also! They will be pushing them again as "Bike Rack Quick Clips"! Youroo!!
Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #26

Is every event on Earth videoed???

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Is every event on Earth videoed???

Pretty much except the ones that really need to be videotaped
Old 07-25-2017, 01:17 PM   #28

As we used to say while skydiving. If it's not on video, it didn't happen.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
My TVs bumper towing capacity is 500 lb weight carrying, 5000 lb trailer weight. But its like 3ft off the ground lol. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

My dad towed the 6 x 12 tandem axle U-haul box trailer from Maryland to Florida on the bumper of his Nissan Frontier. Beat up the edge of the bumper pretty good, but he made it.
GAWRF: 3900 GAWRR: 4100 GCWR: 17,000
Payload Sticker: 1,867 lbs Tow Capacity: 11,767 lbs
Towing a nice 5th wheel near you
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:58 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley711 View Post
should have had a propride hitch
😂😂😂

Where are all the anti-weight police posters at?
I wanna here them justify this.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:21 PM   #31
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
😂😂😂

Where are all the anti-weight police posters at?
I wanna here them justify this.
I'm going to be the instigator here. If you didn't see it happen with your own eyes, it didn't happen. According to some, any audio, picture or video can be tampered with.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:02 PM   #32

Between the NJ Turnpike and the Garden state parkway, this must happen once a month.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #33
larryandamy

70% of all trailer flips are sway related. Technology has solved the problem with new designs with sway elimination... Yes elimination... not reduction. I went with the Hensley at cost of $2000 and I will never pull a trailer again without it. People say..."cost too much!", but these kind of accidents cost a lot more and hurt the people you love. I wish I was rich and could buy everyone pulling a trailer a Hensley... It would literally stop all trailer flip accidents. Some insurance companies are giving discounts if you have a sway elimination hitch. They all should so trailering is safer for all.
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Technology has solved the problem with new designs with sway elimination... Yes elimination... not reduction.
If you load the trailer and TV properly you will have no sway, and if you do feel it coming on then slow down, stop and correct the under-loaded tongue weight. Probably not enough tire load range (sidewall stiffness) and/or under-inflation also.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #35

Most likely P tires!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #36

Propane tank hoses are pretty tough!
ttocsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #37
larryandamy

I am replying to the post by rsdata... "If you load the trailer and TV properly you will have no sway, and if you do feel it coming on then slow down, stop and correct the under-loaded tongue weight."
If you saw the dynamic motion mechanics of the traditional single pivot point mechanical models you would see how sensitive it is to sway. Side forces are amplified 10 to 100 times and tongue weight has little to no impact on the model.
Yes, to minimize sway you can do many thing like load balance and weight distribution and tires and a bunch of other things... But No... you will never have "no sway" with single pivot point hitches. Even in your own statement you say "you will have no sway, and if you do feel it coming on"...
I understand that you are happy with your solution and that you are willing and able to get load and everything set up just right to minimize sway for you. That is great!
But there are many like me who are not willing to tolerate any sway and are not willing or able to set everything up just right and they are asking for help because white knuckle driving is just not acceptable for them.
And the new designs like Hensley that have 2 pivot points absolutely eliminate sway and load balancing and all the other tedious setup issues become insignificant. I am not saying you shouldn't get those right. You should... But they become not critical to sway... I don't have to worry... Is my water tank filled or empty and if I have to swerve to avoid road debris or I have to go onto a soft shoulder will I have to make perfect steering response to keep from flipping. I wish I could have you drive a trailer with and without. You would instantly become a believer.
BTW... This does not apply to 5th wheels... They would have a completely different model because the pivot point is on top of or in front of the towing vehicle's rear axle. There is no distance behind the rear axle that amplifies the pivot point side to side motion...(sway)...
Simply saying... If you are happy with your setup... great!
If you are not happy with your sway, then there are solutions you can get today that will completely eliminate sway.
I do not work for Hensley...!! I just want everybody to be happy and safe out there.
Thanks
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:45 PM   #38

too fast or wind? camper flips

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryandamy View Post
70% of all trailer flips are sway related. Technology has solved the problem with new designs with sway elimination... Yes elimination... not reduction. I went with the Hensley at cost of $2000 and I will never pull a trailer again without it. People say..."cost too much!", but these kind of accidents cost a lot more and hurt the people you love. I wish I was rich and could buy everyone pulling a trailer a Hensley... It would literally stop all trailer flip accidents. Some insurance companies are giving discounts if you have a sway elimination hitch. They all should so trailering is safer for all.
I switched to an Andersen and looked at others but that one worked perfectly for us, however I didn't Gary weight much and every year I reset the hitch to be sure it was setup right.

I would be concerned if the insurance company finds the driver at fault for improperly loaded trailer without the correct towing equipment. If they do research and find he is at fault they may not cover the damage, not sure they ever do this but always find some way out of paying for insurance related incidents.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #39

A lot of variables we do not know here.

There is probably no way the insurance company can prove the driver at fault.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
The guy behind him appeared to be filming with his phone. Which leads me to believe he had a pretty good idea that this was the inevitable outcome based on things he had seen before pulling out his phone.
According to the news, that was a dash cam. A lot of people have them now.

Tags
accident, camper