Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2021, 12:10 AM   #1

Torque converter upgrade

We tow a 2021 Alpha Wolf DBH-L with a 2012 GMC Yukon XL Denali (6.2). The truck has about 117K on it, a stage 2 towing cam, a Trucool 40K transmission cooler and a few other Knick knacks for towing. Tows like a dream. It has the 6L80 transmission, which is known for having a weak link in the torque converter, and when it fails, it will take out the transmission with debris.

With some long distance trips planned this summer, I took the advice of some other GM 6.2 + 6L80 owners and took it to a local transmission shop to have a new HD torque converter put in. $1300 out the door with new fluid, filter and rear main seal while they were in there. Converter is a CVC unit (BU60FHD) with a billet cover. Weighs about 50% more than the one that came out and has a better lockup clutch than stock, eliminating the problem.

Sharing in case anyone else is towing with this transmission and may be unaware of the weak link in the torque converter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3304.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	250110

2012 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Silver - 117K miles
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali - White - 217K miles
2021 Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L
Geotrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:42 AM   #2

Yep. New tranny in the 2010 Escalade @ 100k.

Got tired of chasing replacement parts and upgrades so it's a garage princess now..

F350 for the win!
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:49 AM   #3

I have 2002 Ford with the 7.3 liter diesel. The trans only has 4 speeds. The rebuilds on the old Ford 4R100 can beef up the components and have a new torque converter design. Some of these rebuilds are guaranteed for 200,000 or more miles.

My Ford has 177,000 miles so I am thinking about the rebuild which is about $5,000 out the door.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Yep. New tranny in the 2010 Escalade @ 100k.

Got tired of chasing replacement parts and upgrades so it's a garage princess now..

F350 for the win!

Thanks. Curious - any other upgrades worth thinking about on the Denali in your experience?

2021 Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L
Old 03-22-2021, 07:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
I have 2002 Ford with the 7.3 liter diesel. The trans only has 4 speeds. The rebuilds on the old Ford 4R100 can beef up the components and have a new torque converter design. Some of these rebuilds are guaranteed for 200,000 or more miles.

My Ford has 177,000 miles so I am thinking about the rebuild which is about $5,000 out the door.
Yes, there are builders out there who can make the 6L80 'bulletproof' as well, but they're stout as hell in stock form. The weak link is the converter.

177K on a 7.3 diesel is barely broken in. And I think $5K is a wise investment if you love the truck and it's in otherwise good shape. That'll hardly buy you leather seats and floor mats in a new one.

2021 Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L
Old 03-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #6

thanks to Geotrash.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geotrash View Post
Thanks. Curious - any other upgrades worth thinking about on the Denali in your experience?
You already did the tru-cool.

Oil cooler and dual fans for the radiator..

Replaced two sets of motor mounts, 2 pairs of shocks, exhaust manifold bolts (one was broken on the rear and can't be fixed without pulling the motor or the head). Brake upgrades, rotors, calipers, excessive tire wear (always inflate to max sidewall pressure when towing). Seemed like every time we towed with it something would break.

This was all inside of a year and a few months towing. I gave it up because it would still get too hot when towing. I had multiple shops look at it and they all said the same couple of things: 1) you've done all you can here 2) time to look for a 3/4 ton truck or higher or be content with short trips to the local state park. I want to travel and see the nation so that was out of the question.

We use it to haul nothing but kids now.

The F350's a fully built (studded/deleted, lots of upgrades) 2007 KR CC LWB 6.0 Dually. Gets much better fuel economy and can go 4-5 hours between stops for fuel unlike the Escalade (every 1.5-2hrs). Installed a jump seat in place of the console and 6 can ride comfortably.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
You already did the tru-cool.

Oil cooler and dual fans for the radiator..

Replaced two sets of motor mounts, 2 pairs of shocks, exhaust manifold bolts (one was broken on the rear and can't be fixed without pulling the motor or the head). Brake upgrades, rotors, calipers, excessive tire wear (always inflate to max sidewall pressure when towing). Seemed like every time we towed with it something would break.

This was all inside of a year and a few months towing. I gave it up because it would still get too hot when towing. I had multiple shops look at it and they all said the same couple of things: 1) you've done all you can here 2) time to look for a 3/4 ton truck or higher or be content with short trips to the local state park. I want to travel and see the nation so that was out of the question.

We use it to haul nothing but kids now.

The F350's a fully built (studded/deleted, lots of upgrades) 2007 KR CC LWB 6.0 Dually. Gets much better fuel economy and can go 4-5 hours between stops for fuel unlike the Escalade (every 1.5-2hrs). Installed a jump seat in place of the console and 6 can ride comfortably.
Thanks for the additional details! Mine has an oil cooler and dual fans already, thankfully. I used to have occasional problems with towing temps but discovered that the baffling on both sides of the radiator (it's like a rubber sheet) was torn and half missing. Fixed that and my temp problems ended.

Sounds like you had 'all of the things' happen. Motor mounts are a common issue on these, even without towing. Replaced mine with mounts for an H3 Hummer (bolt right in, but made of solid rubber instead of the water balloon design). Replaced my rear air shocks with OEM after 120K on the originals, which seemed reasonable. Replaced my exhaust manifold bolts with new bolts while I had the heads off for the cam and lifter swap. Knock on wood though, no problems while on the road or as a result of towing, so far.

I'm with you on a bigger truck for towing - sounds like you have your F350 dialed in. I'll make the leap at some point, but for many reasons, it's not time quite yet.

Thanks again.

2021 Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L

Tags
converter, upgrade