Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2022, 05:02 PM   #1
Member
 
masque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 74
Torque Wrench Recommendation

Hey folks! I have a decent torque wrench that handles up to 250 foot pounds of torque.

Iím looking to upgrade to something that can handle up to at least 450 foot pounds without breaking the bank.

Do any of you guys have a wrench rated that high that you like or recommend?

Also, Iím thinking about maybe just buying something like the Neiko torque multiplier. Seems to be pretty popular and highly rated. Anybody with any experience with that?
masque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Old Forester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 115
Your question could use some narrowing. I assume you are looking for a "powered" torque wrench - NOT a handle with a beam scale OR a click-type manual wrench?
Then there is: Pneumatic OR Electric powered.. For as often as I use it, I bought a Harbor Freight 800-1000 FTLBS 1-inch monster probably 12 years ago for like $88. It needs at least 8 CFM to hammer off truck lug nuts. Now the price is twice that... The Torque Multiplier is elegant but slow....
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:55 PM   #3
Member
 
masque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Forester View Post
Your question could use some narrowing. I assume you are looking for a "powered" torque wrench - NOT a handle with a beam scale OR a click-type manual wrench?
Then there is: Pneumatic OR Electric powered.. For as often as I use it, I bought a Harbor Freight 800-1000 FTLBS 1-inch monster probably 12 years ago for like $88. It needs at least 8 CFM to hammer off truck lug nuts. Now the price is twice that... The Torque Multiplier is elegant but slow....
Sorry I didnít specify. I need a click style handheld. I have a Dewalt 1/2Ē medium power that is great for getting nuts loose etc.

Iím needing something I torque for specific values of 320 foot pounds and 430 foot pounds.

The wrench I have now that is a click hand held only goes to 250 foot pounds.
masque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:45 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Old Forester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 115
Take a look at these:
JEGS 3/4 Inch Square Drive clickTorque Wrench 100 to 600 ft/lbs
Part Number: 555-M204 On their site... The K-Tool 3/4" is a dead ringer
for my old HF 250 ft lb which "ok' but cheaply made. More$ than JEGs too.

Sorry for the confusion on Torque Multiplier - I thought you meant one of these:
https://www.amazon.ca/Torque-Multipl.../dp/B08L89VQ92
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:04 PM   #5
Member
 
masque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Forester View Post
Take a look at these:
JEGS 3/4 Inch Square Drive clickTorque Wrench 100 to 600 ft/lbs
Part Number: 555-M204 On their site... The K-Tool 3/4" is a dead ringer
for my old HF 250 ft lb which "ok' but cheaply made. More$ than JEGs too.

Sorry for the confusion on Torque Multiplier - I thought you meant one of these:
https://www.amazon.ca/Torque-Multipl.../dp/B08L89VQ92
Thank you very much for the recommendations! I will check them out.
masque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:35 PM   #6
Retired Old Guy
 
IamProStreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by masque View Post
Sorry I didnít specify. I need a click style handheld. I have a Dewalt 1/2Ē medium power that is great for getting nuts loose etc.

Iím needing something I torque for specific values of 320 foot pounds and 430 foot pounds.

The wrench I have now that is a click hand held only goes to 250 foot pounds.

You should NEVER use a torque wrench to break fasteners loose!!!
IamProStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:43 PM   #7
Member
 
masque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamProStreet View Post
You should NEVER use a torque wrench to break fasteners loose!!!
Why not? To this point I have only used to it loosen lug nuts on some truck rims. But curious as to your thoughts since these type wrenches are advertised to do primarily that very thing, breaks nuts loose right?
masque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:52 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
dieselguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,251
It's possible to loosen highly torqued bolts with a torque wrench, buy why chance having to have a high dollar tool recalibrated? Just use a breakover bar with maybe a cheater pipe for more power to coax them loose. Torque wrenches are primarily designed for torqueing nuts and bolts to spec not the other way around.

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing here???
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:59 PM   #9
Member
 
masque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
It's possible to loosen highly torqued bolts with a torque wrench, buy why chance having to have a high dollar tool recalibrated? Just use a breakover bar with maybe a cheater pipe for more power to coax them loose. Torque wrenches are primarily designed for torqueing nuts and bolts to spec not the other way around.

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing here???
Weíre not and itís likely my fault. When I mention the Dewalt battery powered impact wrench it is essentially a battery powered breaker bar with the ability to loosen nuts with up to 800 foot pounds of break away torque. You can also tighten nuts with it and it supposedly tightens up to 600 pounds but itís not a precise measurable hand held click type handle wrench.

Although Iím far from a mechanic, I am aware to not use the hand held torque click wrench to break away nuts.
masque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 09:16 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Old Forester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 115
Oh, I'm seeing a key word here that might clarify things. Loosening things is done
with an Impact wrench OR a breaker-bar, with or without a pipe/cheater. Torqueing, not (twerking) needs an honest way to measure. Some folks are using the breaker bar with a load-cell type electronic torque measurement device with good results. Less than $100.
NEIKO 20743A 3/4” Digital Torque Adapter, 150-750 Ft-Lb, 3/4” Drive Digital Torque Wrench
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 09:24 PM   #11
Member
 
masque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Forester View Post
Oh, I'm seeing a key word here that might clarify things. Loosening things is done
with an Impact wrench OR a breaker-bar, with or without a pipe/cheater. Torqueing, not (twerking) needs an honest way to measure. Some folks are using the breaker bar with a load-cell type electronic torque measurement device with good results. Less than $100.
NEIKO 20743A 3/4Ē Digital Torque Adapter, 150-750 Ft-Lb, 3/4Ē Drive Digital Torque Wrench
Nice! Thanks. I will look into that.
masque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:11 PM   #12
Retired Old Guy
 
IamProStreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 134
Torque Wrench Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by masque View Post
Why not? To this point I have only used to it loosen lug nuts on some truck rims. But curious as to your thoughts since these type wrenches are advertised to do primarily that very thing, breaks nuts loose right?

Iím a Snap-On guy, was an ASE master mechanic for over 15 years at new car dealerships.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4067.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	279725
IamProStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 PM.