Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 07:46 AM   #21

Chuck, he said they replaced his clutch fan. If the clutch fan was bad it WOULD cause it to over heat going up a hill.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:24 AM   #22

Thanks for the note on the clutch fan.

But it seems he hasn't yet tested the MH since this so we don't know if it was the solution.

-- Chuck
Old 07-21-2021, 01:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
I'm at a loss too 'cuz the numbers seem good yet you're obviously having cooling problems on this slight grade with the jeep in tow but fine otherwise. Things as simple as the radiator cap and coolant mix can affect this as well an airflow blockages into the radiator.

There are OBD2 gauges and pods that plug in under the dashboard which can record things like engine coolant and transmission temperatures. I'm betting you're close to maximums even towing on level ground.

Don't know your chassis but a larger radiator seems to be a potential solution since this one isn't sufficient. Auxiliary electric fans may fit.

-- Chuck
I'm definitely considering a larger transmission/auxillary cooler.

One of the things the shop did was replace the water pump. They indicated it was seized up when trying to replace the clutch fan, but I'm not sure if it wasn't working, or they needed it out of the way when replacing the clutch fan and it wouldn't come out.

Trust me, I am more than aware I'm pushing the MH's limits and have expressed that to my loving bride. But my concerns have fallen on somewhat deaf ears.
hatteras8926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:27 PM   #24

You may be fixed now. But you need to pull the jeep up a long steep grade and see what happens. Disconnecting it every hill is not a satisfactory solution for me.

Unfortunately even the easy-for-me I64 grade you had trouble on is 3 hours from "flat land" Gloucester. Really no grades until you get out to the Blue Ridge. And they get steeper as you get into some great camping areas of WV and NC.

From the number of jeeps I see behind motorhomes this should be an easy tow for a competent vehicle.

-- Chuck
Old 07-30-2021, 03:26 PM   #25

Well, made it back without issue. I took the eastbound grade over Afton Mountain in 3rd gear at about 4000-4500 rpm. The temperature needle never moved. Hopefully things are good to go cooling wise.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #26

Glad it worked for you. This isn't really a "mountain" grade even for you Tidewater guys.

How many gears in the transmission? Did the transmission select the gear it liked or did you force it into 3d gear? Only time I find the need to tell an automatic transmission what gear to be in while towing is if it's violently downshifting, or gear hunting, and like behavior. And the occasional downgrade. Tow-Haul (which I'm guessing you don't have) is designed to handle this.

-- Chuck
Old 07-30-2021, 04:40 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Glad it worked for you. This isn't really a "mountain" grade even for you Tidewater guys.

How many gears in the transmission? Did the transmission select the gear it liked or did you force it into 3d gear? Only time I find the need to tell an automatic transmission what gear to be in while towing is if it's violently downshifting, or gear hunting, and like behavior. And the occasional downgrade. Tow-Haul (which I'm guessing you don't have) is designed to handle this.

-- Chuck
I'll say! With an elevation of only 1900ft, that would hardly be a hill out West. I can't believe that 1900ft qualifies as a "mountain".[emoji37]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:34 PM   #28

Towing at maximum (or overloaded) weights is never easy. And the "mountain" isn't on I64 -- the highway goes thru a gap. Summit is higher ASL but less than 2000 feet higher from the surrounding area. Tops out at under 3000 ASL (by dim memory). Lack of a 3d right truck lane is a dead give-away it's not a difficult grade.

Still curious if this rig is running properly.

-- Chuck
Old 07-31-2021, 12:20 PM   #29

Quote:

-- Chuck
It's a 5 speed automatic with tow/haul mode.

I put it in 3rd to see what it would do. It was also feeling a little underpowered starting up the hill. There were a couple other grades heading up to that point where I also selected 3rd.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:36 PM   #30

Sounds good! I'd give Tow-Haul a chance to work by itself next time. Will either confirm your manual selection of 3d or assure you the transmission is capable of shifting for itself.

-- Chuck
Old 08-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #31

2006 Sunseeker 2860DS, same power train and towing a similar weight vehicle, 2013 GMC Acadia.

Using tow/haul mode all the time and without exsct comparison of grades and elevations, but traveling in the mountains out west Rapid City to Yellowstone to Glacier to TR NP, I was in 3rd gear in the low-mid 4,000 rpm range on the steeper grades.

No rise in any temperature gauges.

I think if you kept the transmission in D and use tow/haul mode, you'll get the performance you want without the work.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow