Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
I have only tow my saturns front wheel drive and never ever had any problems with them. Even through they are 2003 far as I'm concern best in towing as a toad.
I assume you mean with a manual transmission or the Ion model with auto.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:47 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellee View Post
My '98 Wrangler tracks very nicely BUT . . . the key needs to be in the ignition and in the "OFF" position. On our very first trip towing we were going thru Helena MT when the key slipped out while we were making a sharp right turn.
Luckily we were going slow and there was a parking lot right there. Since then I have used a velcro strap around the column to keep the key in place and haven't had a problem since. I also check it every time we stop.
question do you have other keys on with your main key? I use only one key never a problem.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:02 PM   #43
DW's 401(k) Plan

I've been towing our '06 Jeep Liberty for 3 summers, a little over 5,000 miles. No problems.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190620_081608.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	221089

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellee View Post
My '98 Wrangler tracks very nicely BUT . . . the key needs to be in the ignition and in the "OFF" position. On our very first trip towing we were going thru Helena MT when the key slipped out while we were making a sharp right turn.
Luckily we were going slow and there was a parking lot right there. Since then I have used a velcro strap around the column to keep the key in place and haven't had a problem since. I also check it every time we stop.
If the key has to be in the “OFF” position what is the reason it has to be in the ignition? If it’s off what is it doing?
Old 12-28-2019, 08:33 PM   #45

Simple answer, when you pull the key out the steering wheel locks.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:32 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
Simple answer, when you pull the key out the steering wheel locks.
Well, that sounds logical. I thought most folks who had a Jeep with the lock had removed the locking system. Fortunately my Wrangler never had it and I just throw the key in the console. I've been told if it is mistakenly left on it causes funny things to happen with the traction control system.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:28 PM   #47

4 down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdebevec View Post
So here's a question for you 4-down people:
Ever have a problem with the front wheels turning to the side...or do they always track straight? Any other problems to watch out for?

We've towed our front wheel drive car on a dolly for a couple years now, but I'm ready to find something 4wd that I can flat tow for several reasons. The car and dolly are paid for so I'm not in a hurry to buy another car. But this winter may push me over the edge.

Top 4 reasons I want to flat-tow:
1. PITA to load and unload car in bad weather. And we travel in winter a lot.
2. Have had times when we needed the wife to drive the car separately, and then meet somewhere. I hate towing the dolly all by itself.
3. Want to take along a 4WD vehicle instead of our front wheel drive car. See #1 above. The wife was not happy when I told her she had to drive the car over Vail Pass in a snow storm.
4. Tow dolly needs lots of maintenance.

We've towed our 2008 Smart Car for 5 years with no issues. Short process to get the car ready then hook up and go. I searched for problems and found that the front wheels sometimes don't track straight after a turn. The solution was bungee cords to the passenger door and the brake pedal. No problems since.
I saved a big chunk of change buying the Blue Ox Alladin tow bar used, gently used at that. That way I have tow capacity for a larger/heavier in the future.
We looked at the tow dolly and a dedicated trailer and shot them down due to storage issues, hookup time, and some of the ones you mentioned.
Your decision, just my two cents that might help someone.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:41 PM   #48

New to RVing, recently purchased a 2020 Dynamax Force, but did not have a towable vehicle. Just purchased a 2019 Chevy Tahoe LT. It is flat towable since it is 4 wheel drive w/ 2 speed transfer case. That being said, anyone with experience installing tow bar mounting brackets and especially tail lights. Looked at Blue Ox and it seems straight forward , but wiring seems a issue to me. Is there not a “plug and play” type hookup? I thought about those magnetic tail lights, but of course it’s all plastic back there..
Regmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:21 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regmac View Post
New to RVing, recently purchased a 2020 Dynamax Force, but did not have a towable vehicle. Just purchased a 2019 Chevy Tahoe LT. It is flat towable since it is 4 wheel drive w/ 2 speed transfer case. That being said, anyone with experience installing tow bar mounting brackets and especially tail lights. Looked at Blue Ox and it seems straight forward , but wiring seems a issue to me. Is there not a “plug and play” type hookup? I thought about those magnetic tail lights, but of course it’s all plastic back there..
Lots of plug and play solutions. Hopkins kits are a top seller. Call eTrailer...they do it a lot. There are options for using the toad electrical for lights or options to have the MH supply power. I used the MH power route...my Jeep doesn’t supply power for anything except the rear view camera and associated WiFi router.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #50

We have towed our 2012 Jeep Liberty 4-down with no problems. The Liberty does not require the key in the ignition. The transfer case has a neutral position and the transmission is in park. We added a battery tender that charges the toad battery from the TV. The Liberty tows beautifully.

Note: The Dodge Nitro is nearly a twin to the Liberty BUT, it has a different transfer case and can NOT be towed 4-down.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
question do you have other keys on with your main key? I use only one key never a problem.
Yes, key to the locking gas cap and key to the house. Not a lot of extra weight but might be enough to cause the key to vibrate out.

rebellee is offline   Reply With Quote