Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2019, 04:47 PM   #1

Tow bar vs Dolly?

Ok I’m trying to decide what will be the best route to go for towing my vehicle......I’m undecided so any comments will be appreciated!
JWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:14 PM   #2

A lot depends upon your vehicle. You did not mention what you plan to tow. Some can be flat towed some can not. The same deal with using a dolly.

I've have used a dolly for the past 3 seasons. It is a another piece of equipment to deal with. But it did a great job for me over many miles and trips towing a Honda Accord behind our Forester 3051.
In the last month I traded my Honda and purchased a new vehicle with the intent of flat towing.

Cost is also something to look at. Flat tow hardware & installation (if you don't do it yourself) typically will cost more than a dolly.

I did just post my dolly in the classifieds, take a look if you go that route. I'm in SW PA.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #3

A lot easier to back a dolly than a flat tow if you get in a tight spot.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
A lot depends upon your vehicle. You did not mention what you plan to tow. Some can be flat towed some can not. The same deal with using a dolly.

I've have used a dolly for the past 3 seasons. It is a another piece of equipment to deal with. But it did a great job for me over many miles and trips towing a Honda Accord.

In the last month I traded my Honda and purchased a new vehicle with the intent of flat towing.

Cost is also something to look at. Flat tow hardware & installation (if you don't do it yourself) typically will cost more than a dolly.

I did just post my dolly in the classifieds, take a look if you go that route. I'm in SW PA.

I haven’t picked up a tow vehicle yet. I have learned that my wife’s AWD is a no go for tow, so after winter I will pick up a FWD. I figure now is the time to do my research and no better advise from those that have been there and done that.
JWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:02 PM   #5

I was at a camp ground a month back and to my disbelieving I seen a awd subru 2017 being pulled. when he finished his set up I had to ask about his awd. He told me this was a second one he gave is kid the 2015 and she is still driving it. It is a stick I believes they say no to towing because of maybe a failure and they don't want to repair it. Soi i'm not saying to do it just saying I seen it done... But I have towed with a dolly and flat tow and never will never use dolly again.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #6

I have a 370 class a Georgetown. When I first started I pulled a 2010 Ford Flex on a dolly! Worked great for 3 years but I always had to find a place for the dolly! Now I tow my 2010 Ford Flex 4 down and will never go back to a dolly! Can be hooked up and gone in 10 minutes!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #7

I like the replies above used a tow dolly and now pull 4 down and won't go back. That being said some people love a tow dolly. 4 down setup is a little more than a dolly. I had it done for $3000 all inclusive, with braking system. 4 down is much easier and quicker, IMHO. I try to get pull through spots but they are not always available. Then what do you do with dolly? I don't like the idea of man handling it around. If you're a person who likes to trade cars every year or so a dolly might be okay since they will work with most fwd vehicles. Good luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #8

I have pulled a car behind a MH for at least 20 years. I started with a dolly, but switched to flat tow once I realized what a pain the dolly is to manhandle after you remove the car, and the problems associated with where to put it. Yes, you need to find a vehicle that can be flat towed and then install a base plate and the other related tow bars etc. Most of the tow equipment can be reused as you trade cars or MH!
But, in my opinion; I am much happier and find that flat towing is much easier. If it cost a little more, so be it. I won't put up with the hassle of a dolly again!
geneandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
A lot easier to back a dolly than a flat tow if you get in a tight spot.
I'll wager that it's far faster to unhook and move a flat tow than it is to try to back a motorhome with anything hooked to its rear end.

Ray
Old 11-08-2019, 03:30 PM   #10

People vote with their actions. Dolly and flat tow both have their advantages. Look around and you will quickly see flat towing far exceeds dolly towing. Keep in mind that with a dolly, when you get to your destination, you now have three vehicles to deal rather than two!
Old 11-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #11

4 down

Changed from dolly to 4 down last year and wouldn’t go back. I liked the dolly fine and very nice to pull. But loading the car was always a bit of a pain and took awhile. Plus usually took two of us to load up. I hook up the car myself now, 3 to 5 minutes max. It’s more expensive but worth the cost.
Old_hippies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #12

For us it came down to towable vehicles. We didn’t want to go back to 2 cars and didn’t want to drive any of the flat towable options.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #13

Used dollys in perfect condition and with adequate weight capacity seemed to run $1,200-$1,500 when I started towing. New ones were $1,500 and up. I decided on the flat tow setup for my Wrangler for about $1,700 for everything and around half a day of install time.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #14

We flat tow a FWD Chevy Equinox. Decided that since we now had a motor home, wanted to do flat tow. If we had a dolly, might as well stayed with the travel trailer.
Oltimer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #15

I use a dolly, with my Prius. At the most 10 minutes to load on the dolly . while on the road, in a pull through site. Add few more minutes, if putting on the dolly. All by myself, no help. Like everyone said, "where do you put the dolly for back in sights."

For what ever reason, your not suppose to use a dolly for the Prius ? Why not? Front wheel drive, the back wheels are independent. So occasionally, I have to use my OBD app on the phone, with blue tooth hook-up, to the car , in order to clear mysterious codes and dash lights. The Codes mean nothing! We Enjoy using the Prius when Traveling.

I have to check the rear camera, to make sure it is still back there and nothing is wrong. No effect on the motor home at all,still able to accelerate and pass the trucks, on the hills. Turning around is a breeze, Able to make "very" sharp turns. ( flip a "U" on old country roads). No braking system either Motor home has enough to handle both.
If we lose the Prius I may go 4 on the ground? All depends on what we get for replacement? NO big deal for me. I would think 4 on the ground would be a much easier and faster hook-up. Anything bigger than a Prius I would use its own braking system! Brakes on either the dolly, or car, or both. So there is My .02 worth.

Cheers David
Old 11-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #16
DW's 401(k) Plan

The only dolly experience I've had was towing my daughter's car to Pullman, WA when she went to school at WSU.... and this was behind my S10 Blazer. I didn't like the oscillating effect I got at certain speeds, for whatever caused it.
I've been towing our '06 Liberty 4 down since we got the Sunseeker. I've probably towed it about 5K miles in the last 3 years with zero issues. We (my son and I) did our own wiring and base plate install. Well, actually, he did all the wiring and the plate install.... I gave moral support. I did the install on the NSA Ready Brake cables and such.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post

I've have used a dolly for the past 3 seasons. It is a another piece of equipment to deal with. But it did a great job for me over many miles and trips towing a Honda Accord behind our Forester 3051.

I flat tow a 2004 Honda accord
rick freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:21 PM   #18

use a dolly for about 15 years have had three cars did not cost me any more money never have a problem parking the dolly
mr.dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:32 PM   #19

Tow Bar vs. Dolly

When we got our Class A motorhome, I investigated getting a dolly; but, could not find a dolly wide enough for either of our cars both of which are 79 inches wide. So, I went the tow bar route and had our 2013 Buick Enclave rigged for flat towing. I bought a used Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain tow bar on eBay at substantial savings and had the base plate and supplemental braking system installed professionally. I also bought a full coverage "bra" for the Buick which completely covers the front of the car from below the front bumper to above the windshield to protect the car. As was said by others, when towing I have the rearview camera on the "Toad" all the time. Have had no problems do far!
LannyCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #20

Never used a dolly but wouldn't want to. It's another thing to deal with. I've watched the loading process and it is a whole lot more labor and time consuming.

Flat towing beats a dolly in almost every way. The only minus is you can't back up flat towing without ruining the tow bar. But if you follow a few simple rules you should never have to back up.

If you choose to flat tow look up the dingy guide online for suggested toads and some good advice on how to make sure the car can be towed.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote