Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2020, 12:31 PM   #1

Tow Dolly

Appreciate any input as to tow dolly recommendations, brand and mechanical requirements.

For class C motorhome, toad weight 4500 pounds.
JimEastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #2

We bought a roadmaster tow dolly w surge brakes. For us the hardest part was me getting car on dolly. Husband would direct me but after a friend drove her vw bug over front of tow dolly, i was always nervous. Had it a lil ovr year and sold it as hubby had back surgery and couldnt strap car down anymore. Reason for purchase was expense. But it was a pain to load and strapcar. I recommend goi g w flat tow ifpossible. More expensive but so much easier. Yes wehad to buy a new (to us) car but so glad we did.
dmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #3

Thanks would prefer flat tow, issues is expense, and having to buy another new/used vehicle that is flat tow capable.
JimEastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #4

I've used my ACME EZE Tow dolly for 3+ years and almost 20k miles. The ACME I have has surge brakes. It can also be backed up if need be. At less than 400 lbs, it is easily moved by hand, especially with the ramps removed. I paid $1k for it used with about 3500 miles on it.

Storing it at home is not an issue and I have never had a problem at a campground.

Obviously towing 4 down is faster/easier to hook up but I don't mind putting a blanket on the ground to lay on to hook up the safety chains.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:19 PM   #5

I use a Stehl Tow dolly with electric brakes. The only issue I had was they did a crappy job of routing the light wiring, it rubbed the tires so I changed the routing a bit and added some tie wraps to keep the wires secure. The Stehl Tow dolly seems to be cheaper than some of the others. I've used mine for about five years on lots of long trips with no issues. Bearing maintenance is important but really easy with the bearing buddies. The only time loading was tricky for me was during a rain storm. They can get a bit slick, but if you're careful it isn't bad.
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote