Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2019, 05:33 PM   #1

Tow Dolly in Canada?

Hi All,

We use a tow dolly behind our class A, no license plate, vendor told us plates are not required in the US, but, "may" be required in Canada.

Any Canadians out there with info on this? Or people that have taken a tow dolly into Canada from the US?

Thanks!

John
Outtahere100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Not for Canada help sorry, but you might want to call your states DMV.. In PA your tow dolly would need a reg plate.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
Campaholic

Up here in Canada tow dollies require plates but because you are not from here you may be exempt. Best check with your local DMV office
Greg.miranda.travels
Fun finders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:02 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

I’m not sure anyone has the correct answer. I’ve been reading the Ministry of Transport documentation, and as anything from the government, it’s as clear as mud.

That said.....up here in Ontario, where we are required to have license plates front and rear, I see lots of other vehicles from all over where they only require one plate in their home state or province and they seem to be allowed to continue on their journey without being hassled.

I suspect that as long as you meet the requirements of where your vehicle is registered, you’re good for travel in Canada.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I’m not sure anyone has the correct answer. I’ve been reading the Ministry of Transport documentation, and as anything from the government, it’s as clear as mud.

That said.....up here in Ontario, where we are required to have license plates front and rear, I see lots of other vehicles from all over where they only require one plate in their home state or province and they seem to be allowed to continue on their journey without being hassled.

I suspect that as long as you meet the requirements of where your vehicle is registered, you’re good for travel in Canada.
Thank you. It does seem to be difficult to find clear information. I'd hate to get to the border and have a problem......
Outtahere100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #6

I agree with Kenandterry.. As long as you are legal in your home location, you will be legal here in Canada
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #7

Tow Dolly plates

Several states require a plate on the tow dolly...First make sure your state does not require a plate...Get some documentation to assist you if you have any issues at the border.

Several states like Florida do not require a plate if car is on dolly.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:43 PM   #8

Last year I posed this very question to the Ministry of Transport here in Ontario. I received a lengthy (and clear) email reply confirming that in Ontario a dolly is considered a "linking device " and as such requires no brakes/ownership/plate. Those are required for both the "tow-er and the tow-ee".

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post

I believe that is true in all the provinces- our standards are very similar across the board, to do otherwise would be making "busywork" for the police whose budgets are overstressed in this country as it is.
Cheers
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:26 PM   #10

I live in Colorado where dollies do not need to be licensed. We traveled in Alberta and British Columbia summer of 2018 with no issues, either at the border or inland.

John C
JOhn_R_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:59 PM   #11

Outtahere100,

Contact your local AAA Club.

Here, my CAA Club is providing me the information prior to my trips in USA.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #12

Traveled six provinces in Canada with a tow dolly. The dolly needs to have lights visible from the rear or lights on the back of the towed vehicle (magnetic mounted, etc).
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #13

Not to steal the thread, but Alabama does not require license plates for boat trailers. The boat has a registration and that is all. Interesting comment only.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada