Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #21

Yes.All the weight is supposed to be on the straps, (They can handle it!) The car Does move a bit when towing. Also leave the Key on (then disconnect the battery cable)so the steering wheel is NOT locked as the wheels stay straight on the dolly but the car actually turns a bit when you make a turn. (It's funny if you have someone watch the car out the rear of your motorhome it looks like the steering wheel is turning when you make a turn. but the car is doing the turn .Your final hookup is adding the safety chains under the car to the dolly..Leave em a little loose a inch or two. I pull a Full size Hyundai Azera,4000 lbs and it works great! *Now I did add extra lights in the rear window of the Azera,Bought the magnetic towing lights from a trailer store,I tie them to the back seat headrest and made a extra trailer plug at my motorhome so I can plug both the extra lights and the dollies lights in at the same time. (The dolly lights are way at the front of the car and down low, so my extra lights in the car window are a little extra safety. Now When your towing!!After the first 25 miles or so,,Stop and check things over,,check the straps that they are snug,,not real tight but snug.After that I check when we stop to change driver (about every 2 Hours) or when we stop for fuel. I have the Acme dolly with surge brakes and love it!!Oh I also bought a trailer dolly at (Harbour freight) $59.00 I keep it in the cars trunk and use it to push/pull the acme dolly around when not connected to my motorhome as the tongue of the dolly is VERY heavy.
After Christmas we hook up and leave here (Cold New York State for Nevada.) 2600 miles, with the Azera on the tow dolly.(Oh is the car dirty when we get there!!)
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdebs View Post
The directions from Acme specifically tell you to put the vehicle in park. They do not mention disconnecting the battery. I do not disconnect the battery and have not had any issues.
OK here's the directions from Acme.
Their *Video* says to leave trans in park
If your steering wheel doesn't lock you do not need to turn the key on, if you need to turn the key on,you need to disconnect the battery (if you want to have battery power when done towing)
How to use a car tow dolly:

• The dolly coupler must be locked onto the 2-inch ball.
  • It is ideal that the dolly is as close to level as possible. Fourteen inches is ideal. Buy a drop receiver if necessary. The more level the dolly is, the more precise the brakes will be.
  • Make sure the coupler latch is in the locked position and that the 2-inch ball is properly seated into the coupler. The dolly and truck or RV should be aligned straight.
  • Align your vehicle with the car tow dolly. The vehicle should be as close to center on the car tow dolly as possible.
  • Now drive up the ramps slowly but steady with one foot over the brake. You should have someone outside guiding you and telling you when to stop. Once you are on the dolly properly pull up to the front. Both tires should be touching the upright angle. Be very careful not to drive off the front of the dolly, which will be a real mess to correct.
  • Now apply the brake so the car tow dolly cannot move or roll.
  • Take the wheel strap and drape it over and behind the tire and wheel, allowing it to rest on the tires.
  • Now use an adjustable wrench or a socket to tighten the winch spool.
  • Place the ramps on the front of the car tow dolly, strapping them down, and you are ready to go.
Important Notes:

• Make sure you free the parking the brake.
  • If you have a locking column, make sure it is left unlocked thus allowing the steering wheel to turn.
  • Depending on the car you have you may have to turn the ramps around to place them onto the loaded car tow dolly.
  • Some people just place the ramps into the car trunk until they need them again.
  • It is very important to check air pressure before departing. The tires should be pumped up to 75 PSI. Your towed vehicle tires should be pressurized and equalized so there is no uneven rolling resistance coming from your car’s tires.
  • Never allow an inexperienced driver to tow a loaded car tow dolly.
  • Tightening the ARS winches requires an adjustable wrench or socket set that are not include
Old 12-21-2016, 08:35 AM   #23

Yep, base plate and four down.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #24

Thanks, Mark1,
I was trying not to void my warranty on the Fiesta, because the directions are somewhat different than Acme's instructions. That is why I was concerned too. Pages 151-152 Fiesta's owners manual is not clear at all between the 4 down and 2 up directions. With 4 down it makes all the sense in the world to be in Neutral verses Park.
WILLMCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #25

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it said "Towing with a Ford Fiesta". Now those are tow pics I would like to see!
SDPadsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #26

Yeh.. The jury is still out about those who use 4 down and those who use a dolly.4 down is easier to connect but very expensive for the units and hook up.Myself I now can tow either of my cars.and even others,I have no expense to purchase brake systems,rewiring vehicles and such. and I have already changed motorhomes twice with no added expense for towing.(My main drawback is people ask to borrow or have their car taken somewhere.) I have refused all request.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:47 AM   #27
Chief tinkerer

We like our Stehl with electric brakes. The plate that the front wheels sit on pivot a little during turns. We have taken several different vehicles with us, from a Nissan Leaf to a Honda Odyssey. All front wheel drive. Pulls great and in a pinch can be backed a short distance.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #28
Chief tinkerer

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1484500714656.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	128060   Click image for larger version

Name:	1484500807586.jpg