Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 09:18 AM   #1

Tow Mirrors for 2017 Ford Expedition

Good Morning: First post for me. I'm looking for some help installing tow mirrors on my Expedition. I was able to buy a used set of the Trail Ridge Mirrors from an Expedition owner but were for a different year. They fit and most functions work. I have the up and down for the mirrors and the signal and puddle lights. I don't have the left and right function. Both my OEM mirrors and these are manual fold and my OEM was heated.
Its obvious that a wire or two needs to be moved to enable the side to side movement but I don't want to just randomly start moving wires. I have noticed several members that tow with a 2017 Expedition and one in particular that has added the tow mirrors; Guspech 750? I tried to send a PM but being new, the forum would not let me.

Would appreciate any help in trying to figure out the correct wiring.

Thanks so much
Microlite 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:44 PM   #2

Tow Mirrors for 2017 Ford Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microlite 19 View Post
Good Morning: First post for me. I'm looking for some help installing tow mirrors on my Expedition. I was able to buy a used set of the Trail Ridge Mirrors from an Expedition owner but were for a different year. They fit and most functions work. I have the up and down for the mirrors and the signal and puddle lights. I don't have the left and right function. Both my OEM mirrors and these are manual fold and my OEM was heated.

Its obvious that a wire or two needs to be moved to enable the side to side movement but I don't want to just randomly start moving wires. I have noticed several members that tow with a 2017 Expedition and one in particular that has added the tow mirrors; Guspech 750? I tried to send a PM but being new, the forum would not let me.

Would appreciate any help in trying to figure out the correct wiring.

Thanks so much

Hope my PM and these pics of my factory mirror connector can help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7717.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	257618Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7718.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	257617Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7719.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	257616
2021 Cherokee Greywolf 23MK
Equalizer 1,000lb WDH
Guspech750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:58 PM   #3

Tow Mirrors

Thanks for getting back to me. In my tow mirror connector, i think the black wire is in the wrong place and there is another wire where it should go. I will compare the pictures you sent with my original mirrors and make sure they are wired the same. I think i took pictures of the tow mirror connector. I’ll send them to you if i did and maybe you see the issue compared to yours.
Thanks again
Mary
Old 06-27-2021, 09:21 AM   #4

2017 Expedition Towing Mirrors

My original mirrors are wired like yours. The Trail Ridge mirrors have several differences. Where your black wire is, my tow mirrors have a black and while wire and there was a red wire in the first row of the connector( first row being the one nearest the clip). This wire was in an empty space compared to the original. My tow mirrors came from the seller with the solid black wire in the back row, first space to the right; which again was an empty space in the original connector.
With a test light, we tried for several hours to isolate the wiring that controlled the side to side function without success. This issue is with both the mirrors so I feel it is not a pinched or loose wire.

So I had to make a decision for now: use the tow mirrors as they are without the side to side function or put the original mirrors back on. For now, I left the tow mirrors on. Just banging my head against the wall trying to understand what the problem is.
Did you just plug in your tow mirrors as they came from the seller? Now mine original were heated and I think I have memory; manual fold. Were yours too?

There was a post where the owner had to run 3 wires into two with a block connector. Trying to find that post and picture in the forums again.
Thanks for any additional input you may have at this point.
Mary
Old 06-27-2021, 09:34 AM   #5

There's a forum dedicated to the Ford Expedition where I'm sure your question will get attention. Post it in the 3d Gen section.

A lot more guys with Expeditions are there than here.

I've been using the same set of McKesh strap on mirrors for almost 20 years on an Explorer and two Expeditions. Not the most stylish mirrors but I only use them when towing.

-- Chuck

Tags
ford, tow