Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #1

Tow mirrors on '12 F-150

Getting ready to pick up my new Surveyor 243RBS. My '12 F-150 has the tow package (not Max Tow) but, it had the standard mirrors. The 243RBS is 8' wide. the F-150 is a bit over 6'6" wide. So off to Amazon I go. After a bit of shopping, I decided on APS 2007-2013 Ford F-150 Power Heated Signal Texture Cover Towing Mirror Pair (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJ0DUP8)

On to installation. I found this video on YouTube: . There are others but, this one hits all the important parts. This video uses the passenger door. The driver's side also has a third connector on the window/lock panel and a connector on the mirror adjuster switch. Otherwise the process is the same. You can leave the rubber anti-rattle? dust? cover in place. Just peel it back far enough to access the connector. The mirrors have a spring clip on the top screw post. You'll have to bump it loose. The new mirrors went on easily. The connectors matched up well. I found it easier to reinstall the panel after unscrewing the plastic lock stem first then re-installing it after getting the panel in place.

Tested all the door functions - windows, locks, mirror adjust - and for grins, I also tested turn signals and checked the puddle light, features I didn't have before. Everything worked. Man, they're big!

All told it took about 1.5 hours but, I don't have a panel tool so it took me some extra time to remove the panel behind the latch and the switch panel. I'd rate it as an easy install for anyone who's not afraid of a socket wrench. Now on to the classifieds in case someone wants the old mirrors...

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:52 PM   #2

The standard mirrors have never been a problem for my TV/trailer combination. It’s the rear observation camera I wish I had.
okiecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #3

Great review and video. I second everything said above by Mawilson. No matter what 8' wide trailer you're towing, these mirrors are a must. They actually let you see a bit behind you rather than just down the side of the trailer. They end up being 9' wide oat the outer mirror edges. I made the mistake of buying the clip on ones and after less than 500 miles, had the mirrors above on order.

I will add that the fit and finish is great and the installation is very easy. This has been, by far, the best towing upgrade done to my truck.

Mawilson:
You've got good taste in trailers! 2 burner stove or the Aussie grill in the outdoor kitchen?

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:53 PM   #4

okiecowboy: A Furrion observation camera is sitting in a box waiting to go. I have plans to add a Ram Tough Track on the dash to hold phone (tunes), GPS and Furrion monitor without suction cups on the windshield.

clarkbre: Grill. We tend to do simple dinners most nights involving some sort of grilled meat/fish and a salad or steamed veggies. The outdoor kitchen with grill was a 'must have'. IMO, the 243RBS has the best outdoor kitchen. I'm going to add a drawer under the refrigerator to recover that lost space.

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawilson View Post
clarkbre: Grill. We tend to do simple dinners most nights involving some sort of grilled meat/fish and a salad or steamed veggies. The outdoor kitchen with grill was a 'must have'. IMO, the 243RBS has the best outdoor kitchen. I'm going to add a drawer under the refrigerator to recover that lost space.
Agreed. The grill was a huge selling point for us. Our outdoor kitchen is much shorter than yours (maybe 2' tall?) but still a very nice feature! You will love that trailer.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:11 PM   #6

Ours aren’t power, but we did go with some similar mirrors for our ‘08 F-150. Liked them so much we bought again after I shot a rock through the passenger side with a wild string trimmer and rock!
A bonus (for me) is I can use the lower concave mirror without adjusting the mirrors. Notwhile towing of course, but good for around back roads.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #7
Canadian Member

You will love, love, love those big mirrors, even when you’re not towing.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150, tow mirrors