Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Also on the 05 4l80e the with tow haul on the converter will not lock up under 55.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
So... are some here trying to believe they're smarter than the engineers and mechanics who built and designed these trucks?

If the manual says to use tow/haul mode when towing or hauling why would you think that it's not the right thing to do?
This is exactly my thought's on this. Turning it off to save, maybe a few bucks, not worth it.

In the Dodge it will still go into O/D, just takes longer to run through the gears. So I'm not even sure you will save anything on a long flat run.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #23

i try an follow manufacturers operational advice, but if it is bad for the tranny, oil temp etc to NOT use tow haul, then why does the ford manual, AND onboard DIC state to not use tow/haul on flats for better performance/economy? Im not trying to outsmart anyone here as i am not an engineer for ford, but i was under the impression that following the manufacturers instructions WAS the smart thing to do? Or are you saying that ford is willing to damage the driveline components for the sake of better fuel economy?

for what its worth, there is really no appreciable diff in tranny temp or 6th gear rpm if i use tow/haul with my trailer or not....it sticks at 190 degrees and runs 1500rmp at 65mph in 6th gear either way...all i can really notice is the engine brake and modified shift points under full throttle only with the tow/haul on...

seems to me like if your tow haul keeps the truck out of overdrive then it might be a smart thing to use all the time when towing....but mine does not...i have to manually lock out out 6th if i dont want the truck to use it...otherwise it will shift into 6th, tq converter locked, and will tow all day like that no problems?
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #24
Now a "Top Member"

From the 2011 F-250 manual:

Tow/haul delays upshifts to reduce frequency of transmission shifting.
Tow/haul also provides engine braking in all forward gears when the
transmission is in the D (Overdrive) position; this engine braking will
slow the vehicle and assist the driver in controlling the vehicle when
descending a grade. Depending on driving conditions and load
conditions, the transmission may downshift, slow the vehicle and control
the vehicle speed when descending a hill, without the brake pedal being
pressed. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based upon
the amount the brake pedal is pressed.
Tow/haul may be automatically activated (without pressing the tow/haul
button). This provides engine braking to assist the vehicles braking
system when going downhill and repetitive braking is sensed. Once the
tow/haul mode has been automatically activated it will not automatically
deactivate.
To deactivate the tow/haul feature and return to normal driving mode,
press the button on the end of the gearshift lever. The tow/haul light will
no longer be illuminated.
Tow/haul will also deactivate when the vehicle is powered down for a few
minutes.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #25

My 2012 manual says same thing. But reading that seems to indicate tow haul is to reduce braking effort on hills and to reduce gear hunting...nothing about transmission health?...

This screen in my trucks says more

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120906_132842.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	19201

The entire thing reads 'tow/haul isn't needed on flat ground and deactivating will allow optimum transmission shifting that can result in better fuel economy'....
Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
i try an follow manufacturers operational advice, but if it is bad for the tranny, oil temp etc to NOT use tow haul, then why does the ford manual, AND onboard DIC state to not use tow/haul on flats for better performance/economy? Im not trying to outsmart anyone here as i am not an engineer for ford, but i was under the impression that following the manufacturers instructions WAS the smart thing to do? Or are you saying that ford is willing to damage the driveline components for the sake of better fuel economy?

for what its worth, there is really no appreciable diff in tranny temp or 6th gear rpm if i use tow/haul with my trailer or not....it sticks at 190 degrees and runs 1500rmp at 65mph in 6th gear either way...all i can really notice is the engine brake and modified shift points under full throttle only with the tow/haul on...

seems to me like if your tow haul keeps the truck out of overdrive then it might be a smart thing to use all the time when towing....but mine does not...i have to manually lock out out 6th if i dont want the truck to use it...otherwise it will shift into 6th, tq converter locked, and will tow all day like that no problems?
Where does it say that? Can you somehow post that line out of an online F250 manual?

Here's the tow/haul mode info from my 2011 F150:

Quote:
Tow/haul delays upshifts to reduce frequency of transmission shifting.
Tow/haul also provides engine braking in all forward gears when the
transmission is in the D (Drive) position; this engine braking will slow
the vehicle and assist the driver in controlling the vehicle when
descending a grade. Depending on driving conditions and load
conditions, the transmission may downshift, slow the vehicle and control
the vehicle speed when descending a hill, without the accelerator pedal
being pressed. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based
upon the amount the brake pedal is pressed.
To deactivate the tow/haul feature and return to normal driving mode,
press the button on the end of the gearshift lever. The TOW HAUL light
will no longer be illuminated. Tow/haul will also deactivate when the
vehicle is powered down.
WARNING: Do not use the tow/haul feature when driving in icy
or slippery conditions as the increased engine braking can cause
the rear wheels to slide and the vehicle to swing around with the
possible loss of vehicle control.
Nothing about "flats" anywhere in there.

Edit: I see you posted a screenshot of the ic. Thanks. I guess only the F250 gets that bit of advice.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Im not trying to outsmart anyone here as i am not an engineer for ford, but i was under the impression that following the manufacturers instructions WAS the smart thing to do? Or are you saying that ford is willing to damage the driveline components for the sake of better fuel economy?
If your referring to my post, 07 Dodge manual says to use "tow/haul mode" when towing... If your Ford book says not to use it on flats, then that's what I would do.

When I started this thread I assumed all manufactures recommended "tow/haul mode" when towing, all the time. Now I know that's not the case. Love this forum, learn something every time I sign in.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
On my f two fiddy, the tow/haul locks the tq more frequently to keep temps down, optimizes shift points for better pwer delivery, and activates the exhaust brake . With that said, it actually says on my info screen to use tow/haul for hills, and to turn it off on flats for better fuel economy.
Exactly. No exhaust brake on my Eco but it does "brake" more aggressively by downshifting. Also holds gears longer so reduce "hunting". Definitely changes torque converter lockup. If it can't hold 6th gear locked, it will shift to 5th gear locked rather than unlock the TQ and stay in 6th. Heat reduction. Better performance. I always use it when towing.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
If your referring to my post, 07 Dodge manual says to use "tow/haul mode" when towing... If your Ford book says not to use it on flats, then that's what I would do.

When I started this thread I assumed all manufactures recommended "tow/haul mode" when towing, all the time. Now I know that's not the case. Love this forum, learn something every time I sign in.

no..i wasnt referring to you i was just pointing out that i WAS infact trying to NOT be smart and just do what it tells me to do...LOL...so yes..i agree...just do what the manufacturer says...

when i hook up my trailer and go through the info center in the middle of my dash, that is what it says?? maybe its an f250 thing, maybe something new for 2012, or maybe my truck thinks i am an idiot??

in the end, i can attest from my minimaxx sensor readings that neither trans temp or clutch lockup are impacted by weather the button is pressed or not...it may shift a little later, or delay the downshift, but in MY truck it does not disable o/d (as many may do)...it runs through all six gears and wont downshift to 5th unless its a decent hill....?
Old 09-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Exactly. No exhaust brake on my Eco but it does "brake" more aggressively by downshifting. Also holds gears longer so reduce "hunting". Definitely changes torque converter lockup. If it can't hold 6th gear locked, it will shift to 5th gear locked rather than unlock the TQ and stay in 6th. Heat reduction. Better performance. I always use it when towing.

see, mine will only run in 6th unlocked if i am NOT towing....if i got the trailer on, it always goes from 6th locked, to 5th locked??..tow haul or not...maybe because the trailer is heavy (~9200lbs trailer ~17200 gcwr)??..i do notice all the other stuff tho...delayed up and down shift, exhaust brake etc...
Old 09-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #31

In the mountains it's a must, I set tow haul the exhaust break and the cruse control and just sit back and steer. Any curves that require me to slow down I simply tap the break to deactivate the cruse and the truck does the rest. As for tranny temps I've never seen it go over 165F no mater what gear it's in and the highest EGT's I've seen were around 850F. The only time I use the tow haul on the flats would be into a head wind but the exhaust break is always on.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
Tow/Haul is recommended only when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.
I also use Tow/Haul with my Allison whenever I am hooked up.

The only exception is when I am on "cruise" 60 MPH or less. In that case, I unlock the Tow/Haul; let the transmission up shift into overdrive (RPM will drop 3-400 RPM); then reengage the Tow/Haul to re-lock the TC.

Above 60MPH, the tranny is already in overdrive with the TC locked.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #33

For what it's worth. My diesel x5 automatically changes into "tow" mode when you connect a trailer to it. All I've noticed is chafe in shift points and holding gears longer for less hunting. It also won't shift into 6th gear unless you are using cruise control.
wickedwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Anytime I hook to anything, I engage the tow/haul mode. I have an extra tranny cooler in addition to Chevy's tow package. I know the mileage is not as good as when the tow/haul is disengaged, but for the difference in mileage vs a possible tranny overhaul is simply not worth it IMO. If I tow just a shade over 60, it will shift into OD and if you are gentle on the throttle, it will stay there. I NEVER use cruise control pulling anything.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #35
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
My 2012 manual says same thing. But reading that seems to indicate tow haul is to reduce braking effort on hills and to reduce gear hunting...nothing about transmission health?...

This screen in my trucks says more

Attachment 19201

The entire thing reads 'tow/haul isn't needed on flat ground and deactivating will allow optimum transmission shifting that can result in better fuel economy'....
Interesting ironj. I have never seen this on my screen. It must be a 2012 thing. Or I haven't had a situation that triggered it. Dunno!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #36

I'm wondering what shift position everyone is towing in with tow/haul on? I have a 07 Avalanche and I use tow/haul every time I tow. But when I leave the shift in "D" it shifts in and out of overdrive. I always figured tow/haul would lock out overdrive. The only way mine stays steady is when I shift into "3".
daavalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by daavalanche View Post
I'm wondering what shift position everyone is towing in with tow/haul on? I have a 07 Avalanche and I use tow/haul every time I tow. But when I leave the shift in "D" it shifts in and out of overdrive. I always figured tow/haul would lock out overdrive. The only way mine stays steady is when I shift into "3".
I leave it in "D" and it will not shift into OD until it is above 60mph.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #38

Today towing from Macon, GA to Savannah, GA on I-16 had my tv in D...tow mode on..I was driving between 55 and 60. Truck kept going into overdrive around 60, rpms increased, so I just kicked it off and ran in D. RPM's were below 2K...seemed to do better. Kicked it back on when I got into town...etc. I-16 is like riding a horse.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #39
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark and Linda View Post
Today towing from Macon, GA to Savannah, GA on I-16 had my tv in D...tow mode on..I was driving between 55 and 60. Truck kept going into overdrive around 60, rpms increased, so I just kicked it off and ran in D. RPM's were below 2K...seemed to do better. Kicked it back on when I got into town...etc. I-16 is like riding a horse.
Why would rpm increase when going into OD? They should decrease.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #40

In D..tow mode on...around 60 and below it kept upshifting...rpm's were around 2200. DW...asked..why is it doing that....it seemed to do better with it disengaged...RPM's below 2K. The road is flat...has some incline..then back flat...just got on my nerves. Will check it again going back home next week....
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, dodge, tow mode