Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #1

Tow Questions

I have a few questions about towing that I'm looking for some "real world" guidance on. I can google anything, but this group is valuable because you are 'doers', not just 'talkers'. Anything is appreciated.

1) Should I tow my trailer in overdrive or should I turn off overdrive? I recently read something that makes me question this. I assumed overdrive was the way I would tow for fuel efficiency, and I assumed the lower RPM was better for the transmission. Am I incorrect?

2) I am using an app called Torque Pro to monitor coolant temperature and transmission fluid temperature. Does anyone know the normal operating temperatures for these systems? I can set a high/low alarm, but I'm not sure where to set them.

3) The tongue weight on my trailer is heavy, 407 lbs. Should I make any modifications to my suspension, or how can I determine that? If so, any suggestions? I have a local shop that I trust to do the work, but I trust the advice from this group because of the vast experience here.

Thanks for whatever guidance you can provide - I appreciate anything at all.
Nights Out YTD - 17 (6 Trips)
Travel Companions - DW, DS (5) & DS (1)
VicD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicD View Post
I have a few questions about towing that I'm looking for some "real world" guidance on. I can google anything, but this group is valuable because you are 'doers', not just 'talkers'. Anything is appreciated.

1) Should I tow my trailer in overdrive or should I turn off overdrive? I recently read something that makes me question this. I assumed overdrive was the way I would tow for fuel efficiency, and I assumed the lower RPM was better for the transmission. Am I incorrect?

2) I am using an app called Torque Pro to monitor coolant temperature and transmission fluid temperature. Does anyone know the normal operating temperatures for these systems? I can set a high/low alarm, but I'm not sure where to set them.

3) The tongue weight on my trailer is heavy, 407 lbs. Should I make any modifications to my suspension, or how can I determine that? If so, any suggestions? I have a local shop that I trust to do the work, but I trust the advice from this group because of the vast experience here.

what vehicle??

my f350 will tow up a hill in 6th gear (overdrive on) it depends on where YOUR engine makes power..

as far as temps, what vehcile...they all have diff specificatios...

and as far as tongue weight? what vehicle? are you using a sway control? what are you towing?
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #3

read the sig
Old 02-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith4216 View Post
read the sig
The new app doesn't show signature lines.

From the OPs signature line:
-- Vic

Clermont, FL
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT w/ e2
2014 Coachman Viking 17BH
Old 02-04-2014, 11:58 PM   #5

Quote:

Is your (Grand Caravan) what they used to call a(Mini Van)?Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Is your (Grand Caravan) what they used to call a(Mini Van)?Youroo!!
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT | Luxurious Family Minivan | Dodge
Old 02-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith4216 View Post
read the sig
What ependydad said. :-)
I have a tapatalk app
A frf forums app
And a web based browser...

Depending on which office im working out of I use diff apps..

Anyway, I know absolutely nothing about mini vans...so I relinquish any further comments to those who do!.

Safe camping and at least your asking for answers to your setup!...good luck!

Jeremy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 02-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #8

I've had a minivan before and recommend OD off. But, since you have a way to monitor temps, try it both ways. I would be more concerned about your tongue weight on a minivan. I would hook up and do a trial run to see how much it squats down and how it feels.

2006 roo 23b
99 Silverado xtra cab with 4.8 and tow package

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:33 AM   #9

Just looked up your camper and it looks like a lot of camper for your tv. I wish you luck.

2006 roo 23b
99 Silverado xtra cab with 4.8 and tow package

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:24 AM   #10

From what little I know about the caravan, I would think you are right at max towing for that vehicle. Check the owners manual but I bet it recommends overdrive OFF (that is most common). I would also check what the manufacture recommends for tongue weight. I would also guess somewhere in the 400 lb range.

I don't know the exact numbers for the Grand Caravan, you need to check the manual.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #11

You are towing almost the same setup as I am. Kia Sedona with a vibe 6501. Does your van have the tow package, It should have the self leveling suspension and heavy duty cooling.
My manual says to tow in drive, but read your manual, I let the transmission tell me if I need to lock out overdrive if it starts shifting alot I will hold 4th gear. If your dry tongue weight is 50 lbs higher than mine, I would try to get a real weight with the camper fully loaded. You are going to be over 400, and 400 would be the max I would have with your van. When I tow I remove the two center seats to get 110 lbs out of the van (only the two of use) if you have kids and there stuff you will very quickly over load your van.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #12

OK you can Paint it any way you want,Its a (Mini-Van)! I fell for a (Tow-Trip) in a (New-5000miles) Dodge Town&Country) It was my Snowmobile buddys van,He said with the HD towing pkg.and all of that Crap it would pull the (All Alum.2place enclosed With 2 snowmobiles)! 3000lbs total/300TW. We made it to the UP of Mi. The Chrysler Dealer in Ishpeming (Replaced the transmission) while we rode snowmobiles for a week! We left the snowmobiles & trailer at a Friends storage yard in the UP.The Mini-Van (Never was used for a Tow Vehicle agin)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #13

I'm sorry I didn't post my vehicle info here initially. I assumed the signature would suffice, but now I know the signature doesn't show up on the mobile app.

I included some relevant vehicle details below. Everything came from the factory except for the e2 hitch.

3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine
6-Speed Automatic 62TE Transmission
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
Engine Oil Cooler
Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler
Heavy Duty Radiator
Trailer Sway Damping
Electronic Stability Control
CORA Tire Press Monitoring Sensor
e2 Equalizer Weight Distribution Hitch

I don't plan on taking it outside of flat terrain, at least not with my minivan. We do plan on purchasing a new vehicle next year, so we will purchase a better tow vehicle at that point. But, it is pretty clear that we are limited to the flat Florida landscape. I appreciate the reference to the manual... the manual says the following:

Automatic Transmission
The DRIVE gear can be selected when towing. However,
if frequent shifting occurs while in DRIVE, use the
Electronic Range Select (ERS) shift control to select a
lower gear range.

NOTE: Using a lower gear range while operating the
vehicle under heavy loading conditions will improve
performance and extend transmission life by reducing
excessive shifting and heat build up. This action will also
provide better engine braking.

If you REGULARLY tow a trailer for more than 45 minutes
of continuous operation, then change the transmission
fluid and filter as specified for “police, taxi, fleet, or
frequent trailer towing.” Refer to the “Maintenance
Schedule” for the proper maintenance intervals.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #14
Denver, CO

Quote:
I'm sorry I didn't post my vehicle info here initially. I assumed the signature would suffice, but now I know the signature doesn't show up on the mobile app.

I included some relevant vehicle details below. Everything came from the factory except for the e2 hitch.

3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine
6-Speed Automatic 62TE Transmission
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
Engine Oil Cooler
Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler
Heavy Duty Radiator
Trailer Sway Damping
Electronic Stability Control
CORA Tire Press Monitoring Sensor
e2 Equalizer Weight Distribution Hitch

I don't plan on taking it outside of flat terrain, at least not with my minivan. We do plan on purchasing a new vehicle next year, so we will purchase a better tow vehicle at that point. But, it is pretty clear that we are limited to the flat Florida landscape. I appreciate the reference to the manual... the manual says the following:

Automatic Transmission
The DRIVE gear can be selected when towing. However,
if frequent shifting occurs while in DRIVE, use the
Electronic Range Select (ERS) shift control to select a
lower gear range.

NOTE: Using a lower gear range while operating the
vehicle under heavy loading conditions will improve
performance and extend transmission life by reducing
excessive shifting and heat build up. This action will also
provide better engine braking.

If you REGULARLY tow a trailer for more than 45 minutes
of continuous operation, then change the transmission
fluid and filter as specified for “police, taxi, fleet, or
frequent trailer towing.” Refer to the “Maintenance
Schedule” for the proper maintenance intervals.
You pretty much have your answer there. Generally, the lower the rpm the more force (torque) on the transmission and the higher temperature it will run, especially if it is working hard. So lacking any more information, I would tow in drive not OD. I can't imaging a Grand Caravan being very happy with this tow, so anything you can do is recommended. The WDHitch should manage any sag you are getting if it is set up properly. Just make sure that the front end is not any higher that without the tow load at rest..

Be careful, and drive conservatively and take only what you absolutely need.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #15

Do NOT use overdrive for towing. You will kill your tranny if you do, it will over heat parts and constantly be kicking up and down to find a happy place.

As for a "safe" operating temperature I am sure google or your local shop can give you some numbers. If you have an alarm I would suggest setting it a few degrees lower than max as this will allow time to find a safe place to pull over or out of traffic to let it cool down.
While we are talking about it, when was the last time you had your tranny serviced..? New fluid, filter..? Can you upgrade your fluid..? Ask your shop if there is a better fluid that could be used. How are your brakes..? Tires..?

Just other things to think about if your towing close to your max weight..!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
3) The tongue weight on my trailer is heavy, 407 lbs.
Keep in mind, your tongue weight is going to start at 407 pounds. The trailer is designed right about 14% tongue weight. As soon as options are added to the original factory order, propane, battery and your stuff added - you're likely looking at 500+ pounds of tongue weight.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:14 PM   #17

hd trans cooler is what I saw on that list......I doubt that is a hd cooler so check on aftermarket options for better cooling but several of the posts are correct you will likely be over weight on tw before you start and that sheet metal the hitch is bolted too would scare me on that one. just make sure your in spec and be careful!! I bet your trans temps shouldn't really get over 225 degrees but I wouldn't want to see it over 200* with synthetic fluid but it should be already

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:48 AM   #18

Although not specific to your vehicle, most vehicles run between 186-195 degrees, depending on Thermostat installed. Towing this will probably be on the higher side. 212 deg. is probably a good starting point to set your warning for the engine coolant, (critical around 218-220) you may have to adjust it but gives you a place to start that shouldn't sound too much, as well if it keep climbing, it gives you some room to to either crest the hill or find a safe place to pull over.

Transmissions do run somewhat cooler, however towing does make them heat up, and if your vehicle has the atypical cooler built into the radiator (water to oil), then under normal operating temps, the transmission is going to be close to what the engine will run under normal operating temps, However if the transmission is running hot (220 degrees and up) the engine cooling system will be working alot harder to keep up, so a 220 warning would probably be a good idea to set for your transmission. (even though it can go higher)

these are fairly generic temperatures for an atypical light duty vehicle setup so you can get a set point, best thing would be to monitor and adjust them accordingly. Nice thing with torque is it usually leaves a highest temp reached mark on the dials so you can adjust afterwards
Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #19

Thanks for the temp ranges... that is at least a starting point for me. I'm going to closely monitor them tomorrow. We have about a one hour drive, maybe less. I do have a follow up question regarding overdrive. On the highway here in FL there are no hills. Wouldn't it be better on flat land to run the vehicle in overdrive at a lower RPM to keep everything cooler - again this is considering the vehicle is operating on perfectly flat land and is not shifting back and forth to maintain speed. Here in FL it is flat flat flat... although I live in Clermont there are some hills, otherwise everywhere else it is flat. I will keep it in a lower gear tomorrow until I'm outside of the hills, and then it seems like operating at a lower RPM would be better. But, please let me know if this is incorrect - maybe the higher RPM below overdrive is somehow better for the transmission and for the cooling of the vehicle?
Old 02-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #20

Its about the power band of the motor. ...honestly I dont see being in od given your vehicle and weight your gonna pull being a good thing.......a cross fart from a rabbit on the side of the road would make you drop outta od....I say leave it off...but u gotta play it by ear and listen to yiur car...if its hunting for gears and cantb pull in od, turn it off!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app