Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan View Post
I think what WYO might be talking about has to do with the DPF (thanks EPA) on the newer trucks. I loved my 2010 F250 6.4L truck, but when I am not pulling and just driving around town for short distances (10-20 miles) under 50 MPH 80% of the time, the DPF is not getting hot enough to really burn off. I would purposefully have to drive 20-30 miles to burn the DPF off after killing it a few times. The truck was awesome on the highway and towing. It was much better suited for that use than short mile commuting.

4-5 days a week mine sees the whole 8mile trip to work, then back home (speed limit no more than 45mph)......it MIGHT kick off a regen every 10 days...usually i just take the "long way" home which is an extra 3 turns and 3 miles and the regen is complete.....10-12 miles is all it ever lasts...

i have other vehicles i could drive to work, but i like my big ol truck! LOL

as far as cost of a diesel over a gasser, not even including the way more expensive maintenance, all things being equal, a diesel truck is gonna cost you about 7k more....many make an argument that the better fuel economy while towing and the big difference in resell value make up for that initial cost ...i guess it could, but to me its a moot point...

in almost any given scenario, a diesel is going to tow "better" than a gasser...even if the powertrains are equal, the diesel is a bigger, heavier vehicle and will displace the tow load better...(although that line is a little more blurry when comparing a newer gasser like an ecoboost and a small or no cab older diesel)...

this debate always seems to me like the handgun for protection debate....older guys always seem to be staunch supporters of the "only carry a .45" for protection clan, but with all the advancements in projectile technology, a case can be made for a smaller caliber offerings which can now approach and in some cases surpass the ballistic capabilites of the venerable .45...in the end it comes down to how much you wanna spend, and if that cost is worth the actual benefit you well be able to extract...sure a diesel is better, but if you only tow 2x a year for 80miles round trip in flat west texas, then you my friend are paying for the LUXURY of owing and maintaining a diesel.....

for the record, i have no problem paying for the LUXURY of having a big ol diesel as a daily driver, and i carry a .45....springfield xdm compact as my daily concealed carry piece....

I may not tow or shoot bad guys as often as some........but when i do i make sure i use the best tool for the job (using my most interesting man in the world voice)
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #22

I went from a 1/2 ton Ford F150 5.4L tow package to a 3/4 ton Dodge 2500 HEMI. There is no comparaison in how it handles. The Dodge is just heavier duty and doesn't seem to get pushed around as much. FYI...I know people are sensitive about their truck allegiance. This isn't a Ford vs. Dodge debate as I am brand neutral (I know any of the Big 3's 3/4 tons would have towed just as well as the Dodge.)
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan
I think what WYO might be talking about has to do with the DPF (thanks EPA) on the newer trucks. I loved my 2010 F250 6.4L truck, but when I am not pulling and just driving around town for short distances (10-20 miles) under 50 MPH 80% of the time, the DPF is not getting hot enough to really burn off. I would purposefully have to drive 20-30 miles to burn the DPF off after killing it a few times. The truck was awesome on the highway and towing. It was much better suited for that use than short mile commuting.
Exactly what I was saying. Thanks.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #24

[QUOTE=CHD Dad]Curious how your MPG compares with the gas 3/4 T vs. the gas 1/2 T.[quote]When I had my 1/2 2WD ton gasser MPG 22-24 @ 70. My 2500 4WD Duramax diesel gets 20-21 MPG @ 65 MPH with AT tires.

The other thing to remember is once you get above 1/2 ton the vehicles are much more stout and robust. That $7K-$9K you are paying for the powerplant is also much more robust engine than the gasser.

Diesels also produce produce power at lower RPM settings than gassers do. For towing they are just plain hard to beat.

However, everything you do with a diesel---to protect your investment---costs. Almost everyone uses Rottela T oil, change filters (oil, air, fuel) religiously, dual batteries, and maintenance is not cheap either.

Of course if Keystone and other energy projects go in diesel (and gas) prices will fall significantly. The durability and performance of diesel systems really make towing experience much nicer. That is why you usually do not find people wanting to go back from diesels once they acquire one...
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #25

[QUOTE=ng2951;267628]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD Dad

Of course if Keystone and other energy projects go in diesel (and gas) prices will fall significantly.
That's just malarkey! They will pipeline it to shipping terminals for export. They're dying to do that with all this natural gas too. You are just kidding yourself if you think we are going to keep our energy at home and reduce prices.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehbr View Post
I think I did a poor job of posing the question. I know that a 3/4 ton TV can handle a lot more weight and diesel engines have a lot more power than gas engines. My real question is regarding stability of the truck and trailer. For the same trailer (say a 34' travel trailer with 800 pounds hitch weight and 8000 pounds loaded weight) will a 3/4 ton TV be more stable for some reason? I can't think of any but am asking those with much more experience than me.
Buy what your hip pocket can stand.

Both will pull it just fine, the diesel will cost a lot more initially and to maintain. As for stability, the 1/2T can be just as stable with just minor changes and a lot cheaper than the 3/4T diesel's initial cost.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #27

Hehbr-
3/4 ton is a 3/4 ton, gas or diesel. I am sure there are some balance differences because the diesel is heavier on the front end.

The big difference is where in the power band power is available. Diesels, by their nature apply power at the low end. That can be very nice when you are moving a load from 0 to highway speed, or just getting the critter moving from a soft trailer pad surface.

I agree, that with an 8K pund trailer, a 1/2 ton can do the job but that depends on the 1/2 ton and how much load you are carrying.

My main advice, because I learned it the hard way, much to dealership's liking, is get the TV for your next trailer, not the one you necessarily own. If I had a 3/4 ton, I would not have traded in two trucks and been hit for the depreciation on both of them. I would have been in good shape with 3/4 ton, gas or diesel, and not had to trade in anything.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #28

Check this thread out for more info.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...why-26155.html
pwrstroke2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #29

When I got my truck I was not thinking about a trailer. I like the outdoors and I just can’t handle the +95 deg anymore like I use to. I picked up a 30 ft TT for my hobby and that was the best thing I could have done. Until I found another TT I like that might be just to big for my 1500 Ram. Still tossing around the idea of going to a ¾ truck, I don’t think it will be a diesel. I will not get the use out of it like a diesel should. I did like to back and forth on the ½ V ¾ I just might have to get the ¾ now or after spring.
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #30

I know my 30ft TT was asking alot of my 1500 Ram thats why I stepped up.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote