Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #41

Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
You're probably putting 1,700+ lbs onto the truck between you, wife, any other passengers, WDH, trailer tongue, and any gear you have in the cab or bed. Do you have that much payload available? (I assume that 1,320 lb rating isn't your payload rating on your door jamb sticker.)

Tow rating doesn't matter. Payload matters.

I tow a 26' trailer and it's easy peasy. Even with my over-matched F-150, it towed perfect ... just couldn't get up the hills. The Equal-I-zer WDH was set up great and kept that trailer locked in place. Gusty winds, passing semis, and everything else barely causes the trailer to move an inch.

Same experience towing with my F-350.

Sizing a TV to a trailer is a numbers game. It's not about feel or anecdotes. Numbers. Data. Figure out how much payload you need. Size a TV around that number. Longer, bigger, heavier trucks will provide a more stable towing experience. A properly equipped F-150 may have the specs to tow a 34' trailer, but it might be more enjoyable with an HD platform.

Max Tow does nothing for a F-150's payload capacity. In fact, depending on what it adds, it may actually consume payload.
I've taken great precaution not to exceed my 1647 lb payload. When I scaled the truck, I put 150 lbs of corn in the passenger seat to represent my wife. I weigh 300 and my tongue weight it 1050. Add in my hitch, tonneau cover and bedrug and my payload is maxed out. Consequently EVERYTHING goes into the camper on or behind the trailer axles. (Except my YETI cup)

Now, If I'm Ford and I advertise Max Trailer tow, (states 10700 for mine) and 15 % is the norm for recommended tongue weight, one would think they would build a little more payload in the MAX trailer tow package since if I were towing a 10K trailer my tonque weight could be 1500 lbs which would exceed the hitch limit (1320 with WDH). That would only leave room for a 147 lb driver and no family or cargo.
2012 Rockwood Signature Ultralight
Every gadget in the book!
Girtski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
If you have the Max Tow, the difference between our trucks is the rear suspension which should be sturdier in mine truck than it is on yours under load.

That may affect swing.... How is the rear of your truck when the WD is engaged?

Below is are pictures of my rig and WD set up for reference...
I would be interested to know your rear fender height. I believe you sit lower than I do...but, you do have 20" E rated tires right?
Old 06-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
These threads always drive me nuts . Yes you are too close to the max on the TV. Yes get a 3/4 ton . As for Gas or Diesel depends on what you can afford . Diesel power is fantastic and very confidence inspiring . With that said Ford makes a powerful gas engine I just hate fords always have . Chevy makes a solid Gas engine but doesn't have the balls a ford has . If you go Dodge you gotta get the Cummins .
I won't get into the brand thing. Too close to the max? Like I said, this rig is in the "wheelhouse" of the capability advertised by Ford. I'm 2700 lbs lighter than it's tow rating, 200lbs lighter than it's tongue weight and under payload. Problem is, Ford did not build this truck to do the job it says it will do. I look at 1500 Dodge oh, what's that under there? A sway bar. That would be a great thing to have on a Ford with MAX TT. Blah blah blah. I'm just going after Ford for not building a vehicle to safely tow what it states it will tow. Like I said, my 2001 Supercrew tows this thing fine and it's rated for 8800 lbs. Why with that knowledge, would I get a 3/4 Ton?
Old 06-25-2019, 02:03 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girtski View Post
I won't get into the brand thing. Too close to the max? Like I said, this rig is in the "wheelhouse" of the capability advertised by Ford. I'm 2700 lbs lighter than it's tow rating, 200lbs lighter than it's tongue weight and under payload. Problem is, Ford did not build this truck to do the job it says it will do. I look at 1500 Dodge oh, what's that under there? A sway bar. That would be a great thing to have on a Ford with MAX TT. Blah blah blah. I'm just going after Ford for not building a vehicle to safely tow what it states it will tow. Like I said, my 2001 Supercrew tows this thing fine and it's rated for 8800 lbs. Why with that knowledge, would I get a 3/4 Ton?
hey dude I was replying to the OP questions . I didnt realize you were asking for advice or at least filling us in on an issue you are suffering from .

To answer your last question about getting a 3/4 ton .. The better question is why not . If you like to feel safe and confident when towing, if you like to load up and not worry about the TV's capabilities then why not ? They don't ride that bad unloaded and the confidence they inspire is well worth it . Trust me I tried to make a half ton work for me for way too long and I can tell you one thing . I will never own another one . Except maybe a 69 Chevy C10.

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #45

My Sincerest Apologies to the OP

I did not mean to hijack this thread. However, if you're hoping an F150 is adequate for your Cherokee, get one with Max Trailer Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package and test drive it WITH YOUR CAMPER for several miles on the interstate to ensure you have adequate stability (particularly when passing and being overtaken by other vehicles) before finalizing the purchase. You will find salesmen on both sides of the fence (RV and Truck) who will tell you their suggestions are spot on. Do your own homework and do not fail to test drive a potential purchase (regardless of brand or size) to ensure it meets your expectations. I wish I would have done so rather than relying on my 2001 truck experience and the published numbers of the new ones..
Old 06-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #46

Quote:
... . Do your own homework and do not fail to test drive a potential purchase ...
This is a sound advice and is valid for 3/4 ton too.
Just this weekend while my truck had the engine oil changed, I lectured a salesman on why my F150 was more capable to tow a 5er than the F250 DIESEL he was offering ...
I showed to him that the F250 had 700lbs LESS payload capacity than my F150....

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:05 PM   #47

Quote:
I would be interested to know your rear fender height. I believe you sit lower than I do...but, you do have 20" E rated tires right?
I have 18 HD wheels and LT tires (comes with HDPP).
Can't remember the load rating....

Old 06-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #48

Quote:
...1647 lb payload.... Max Trailer tow, states 10700 for mine ...
Something is not right with your numbers.
Ecoboost should have a higher towing capacity.
My truck has a V8 and a towing capacity of 10900lbs with a payload capacity of 2700lbs....
While the payload difference can be explained by the HDPP, your towing capacity needs to be higher....
What size bed do you have?

Old 06-25-2019, 04:17 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
Something is not right with your numbers.
Ecoboost should have a higher towing capacity.
My truck has a V8 and a towing capacity of 10900lbs with a payload capacity of 2700lbs....
While the payload difference can be explained by the HDPP, your towing capacity needs to be higher....
What size bed do you have?
Probably has a higher trim level, like Platinum or Lariat.
All the bling will lower the payload.
My 2014 F150 SCREW 4x4 XTR EcoBoost with Max Tow package has 1828lbs of payload capacity and 11,200 of towing capacity
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle