Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #21

A diesel will definitely tow better, however for a 5,000-6,000 pound trailer it is really overkill! I have a diesel only because I have a 43' - 16,000 pound fifth wheel. If it were not for that I would go back to a gasser. But it is your decision, so get what makes you happy and enjoy!!!
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
A diesel will definitely tow better, however for a 5,000-6,000 pound trailer it is really overkill! I have a diesel only because I have a 43' - 16,000 pound fifth wheel. If it were not for that I would go back to a gasser. But it is your decision, so get what makes you happy and enjoy!!!

Any recommendations for a gasser? Won’t be going sub route. Will go back to a truck...
cvcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcian View Post
Any recommendations for a gasser? Won’t be going sub route. Will go back to a truck...

That is won’t be going with another SUV not sub
Old 12-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #24

I use to have an Avalanche (1/2 ton) towing my TT (6800 max) getting from 6-9 mpg (maybe 10 a time or two). When I bought my 2500HD Chevy diesel I would get 9-12 mpg towing the TT. I bought the diesel as I anticipated in buying a 5th wheel, which I did. 5th weighs in at about 16500 max and still get about the same maybe a little better. Loved the diesel over any of my experiences with gassers towing my TT. Keep in mind initial cost is about $10,000 more and fuel fluctuates from below gas (not often) to up to a $1.00 more.
I think 9 mpg is a lot better than 6-7 mpg which once you get in hills could be a reality. When towing I travel at highway speeds using speed control to stay around 65 mph, though I could easily do 70-75 without breaking a sweat with the diesel but with the Avalanche that wasn't always the case.

One thing I do when towing is to continually watch my instant mpg to see what I am getting at any specific point when towing. From a stop till I get rolling can be as low as 2-4. I don't worry about that as it is understandable even when not towing. I think you are getting what is about average. DEFINITELY DRIVE WITH TOW/HAUL ENGAGED. It will adjust your shift point to match the needs of your transmission.

If you are not using Speed Control DO IT. It will help maintain a more average mpg. At times with the Avalanche there would be times when going up a hill that the engine would really rev up. I would tap the brake and use the gas pedal to climb the hill to lower the rpm.

Good luck and happy camping

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #25
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcian View Post
With a question like that, be advised that you're going to get all sorts of responses. Most of them will be subjective rather than objective, and based on personal preference. I wouldn't think of recommending a certain brand to you. That is a decision you should make on your own. Someone mentioned a diesel. Nothing wrong with a diesel for towing, however along with it goes a cost to account for the engine/transmission package. many will say you'll get your money back in a trade. Yes you will, but that money will be needed if you decide to upgrade to a newer model diesel. Kind of a Ponzi scheme of sorts. In my situation a diesel is a waste of money as our camping season is limited to about four months of the year. I can buy a lot of gasoline for the difference in price point between a gasser and a diesel. Your situation may be different. As you may decide to go bigger with your TT selection down the road, I would strongly suggest a 3/4 ton truck to ensure you'll have a margin for additional payload.

That is all I will say.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #26
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
A diesel will definitely tow better, however for a 5,000-6,000 pound trailer it is really overkill! [...]
Massive overkill. Huge. ... and I love it.

But back to the MPG issue the OP raised. 9 MPG isn't very bad at all. I tow a 7,000 lb trailer up and down the Rockies between 5,000 - 11,000'. I get 10 - 13 mpg in my diesel.

When TFL Truck does its Ike Guantlet challenge, those rigs only ever get 3 - 10 MPG, depending on the load.

When you're towing, there just isn't that much fuel economy to be had. The torque and grunt of newer vehicles, combined with smarter transmissions and hauling modes, (both gas and diesel) make the experience better. But, the fuel economy only changes a few MPG. I wouldn't be trading for a new TV just to chase 2-3 mpg.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
I use to have an Avalanche (1/2 ton) towing my TT (6800 max) getting from 6-9 mpg (maybe 10 a time or two). When I bought my 2500HD Chevy diesel I would get 9-12 mpg towing the TT. I bought the diesel as I anticipated in buying a 5th wheel, which I did. 5th weighs in at about 16500 max and still get about the same maybe a little better. Loved the diesel over any of my experiences with gassers towing my TT. Keep in mind initial cost is about $10,000 more and fuel fluctuates from below gas (not often) to up to a $1.00 more.

I think 9 mpg is a lot better than 6-7 mpg which once you get in hills could be a reality. When towing I travel at highway speeds using speed control to stay around 65 mph, though I could easily do 70-75 without breaking a sweat with the diesel but with the Avalanche that wasn't always the case.

One thing I do when towing is to continually watch my instant mpg to see what I am getting at any specific point when towing. From a stop till I get rolling can be as low as 2-4. I don't worry about that as it is understandable even when not towing. I think you are getting what is about average. DEFINITELY DRIVE WITH TOW/HAUL ENGAGED. It will adjust your shift point to match the needs of your transmission.

If you are not using Speed Control DO IT. It will help maintain a more average mpg. At times with the Avalanche there would be times when going up a hill that the engine would really rev up. I would tap the brake and use the gas pedal to climb the hill to lower the rpm.

Thanks so much for your advice! I will take it! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #28

I want neither a truck nor a diesel to pull my ~6000 pound camper. Putting up with these for periodic camping trips? If I was Hot Shot trucking I'd get a 350/3500 and a diesel, but not for a camper.

My Ford Expeditions, the first with the 5.4V8 and the current with the 3.5EcoBoost engine, pull it effortlessly. These are a real SUVs with 9200 pounds max towing capacity.

9 or 10 mpg towing is pretty standard. It takes the same power to pull the trailer and gasoline engines of any brand are mature technology. Only way to improve fuel economy is to slow down. Air resistance is the primary item to overcome once moving and this is exponential: 2x speed = 4x resistance. Resistance doubles from 50 to 70 mph. Slow down.

-- Chuck
Old 12-15-2019, 01:06 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post

Tow/Haul should be engaged when you meet the threshold weight, as indicated in the owner's manual. For my truck, it's when combined weight is 75 percent of max combined weight. I recently pulled a 2400 lb trailer with my 2019 Silverado and there is no way Tow/Haul was needed. All using it would have done is increase my fuel consumption even more.

As for cruise control, I disengage by pushing the cancel button on the steering wheel. No need to tap the brakes and have your brake lights come on. The person behind you may wonder what's going on.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle