Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2020, 01:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I have a friend who has a RAM 1500 with 1000# payload!
Plenty of posts in the forums of people that bought a truck and then bought a trailer looking at only some of the numbers (towing capacity) and not knowing that payload is the one that most people blow out first.

Then the salesmen of both trailers and trucks being ignorant of how to properly determine and build in some safety margin along with using real good guess-ti-mates on what the trailer is going to weight loaded to go camping and what the tongue/pin weight is going to likely be certainly puts the uneducated or inexperienced buyer in a high risk of being disappointed.

As a public service I generally go out of my way to ask trailer questions when I buy a truck or trailer and try to educate them in what they need to be looking at and how to calculate the above to help them at least have the info to properly point customers in the right direction. My guess is they ignore most of what I have told them once I sign the paper.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I have a friend who has a RAM 1500 with 1000# payload!

Yes and I had a F-150 with 1195 pound payload. My Tundra was less than 1400 I believe it was less than 1300 but I don’t remember exactly. Since 2005 I think I have owned every brand of full size truck. Except a GM and that’s basically all I had ever owned prior. I never had trouble or complaints about any of them. That said grandad was a Ford man, dad a GM guy, which is basically all I drove. Now every vehicle on the property is Chrysler product.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfabty View Post
I just got my first rv a 1999 Forest River Georgetown 32. I have a 2018 Dodge Caravan. Looking for any help on towing options.
Not sure that the Caravan is going to be able to tow that Georgetown 32.

Welcome aboard! I would start a new thread with your question vs. tagging onto this thread.

corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:48 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfabty View Post
I just got my first rv a 1999 Forest River Georgetown 32. I have a 2018 Dodge Caravan. Looking for any help on towing options.
You need to start your own thread, since you're "hijacking" someone else's thread.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #25
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I will not get into the debate about that particular vehicle or its suitability. What I will do is give you some practical advise.

Look at and decide what camper you want. You can also go around driving the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks of all the makes, see which one you like best in each weight classification. Do not make the truck purchase first!!

When you decide on a final selection of the camper, look at the weight on its yellow sticker. Add in the weight of persons clothing, cooking utensils, propane tanks, grills, chairs, etc (1000 lbs to be safe) to get the tow weight.

NOW look at the capabilities of the trucks vs the actual weight of the camper. If you are bumping up against the max of the truck's capacity, upgrade to a larger truck. You will avoid having too little truck and have a much more pleasant towing experience by doing this.

If you buy the truck first, you will have to limit the camper selection based on the trucks capabilities plus there will most likely be no room for upgrades so when you need a new bigger camper, you also need a new bigger truck
+ 1

When you buy the camper take 15% of its GVW, add 100 lbs for a WDH plus the weight of all contents - driver, passengers, dogs, firewood, kayaks, bed covers, running boards, etc added after purchase. Then add a safety factor.

When looking at campers, as a general rule smaller ones are more maneuverable and will fir most state parks while larger ones are more comfortable - especially for longer trips.

Note that the price difference between the various weight classes of of pickup trucks is relatively small when ordered new and may be non-existant when talking to a dealer anxious to move units from his lot.

Here, in SoCal, the majority of HD trucks on the used market are work trucks that have been pretty well thrashed. Caveat Emptor