Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #41

I've lived in the South for 68 years, and been driving all over it for 52 of them. I've never even HEARD of anyone paying an officer on the spot. You don't have to go directly to jail for a traffic violation, but paying the officer 'on the spot' will get you handcuffed 'down here'.

I get all the other laws. It was simply the weight law that I was questioning....specifically if I have vehicle and trailer with X weight but no PA credentials/tags/stickers for such weight, what happens.... Saying "drive safely and you're ok" doesn't sound like it applied to the guy with too much firewood. It seems there are examples of being stopped on suspicion of being overweight..........

FWIW, "down here" we're going through a big Brouhaha over "Probable cause" in both traffic and game law enforcement. Folks have sued, and won, and are overturning many long-standing arrest policies, because they were arrested for crimes for which the officer had no Probable Cause.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 03-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #42
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I've lived in the South for 68 years, and been driving all over it for 52 of them. I've never even HEARD of anyone paying an officer on the spot. You don't have to go directly to jail for a traffic violation, but paying the officer 'on the spot' will get you handcuffed 'down here'.

I get all the other laws. It was simply the weight law that I was questioning....specifically if I have vehicle and trailer with X weight but no PA credentials/tags/stickers for such weight, what happens.... Saying "drive safely and you're ok" doesn't sound like it applied to the guy with too much firewood. It seems there are examples of being stopped on suspicion of being overweight..........

FWIW, "down here" we're going through a big Brouhaha over "Probable cause" in both traffic and game law enforcement. Folks have sued, and won, and are overturning many long-standing arrest policies, because they were arrested for crimes for which the officer had no Probable Cause.
I personally know of 3 people arrested for speeding.. Two in GA and one in SC. One GA guy was in a marked police car down for training... Not an excuse but ouch.. Numerous other stories of those who have.

I need Reasonable Suspicion for a stop. So if it looks wrong and I can articulate to a court I am good. So in the firewood example.. If he is looking like he is on the bump stops its a good stop. If a car sounds louder than my experience would lead me to believe that car should sound like I can do a stop to check, amongst other things, the exhaust system. Diesels blowing black smoke.. Check for the smoke control and emissions equipment.

Most states have the GVWR of the vehicle either on the reg card or comes back in the return on my MDC (car computer). That is what it would be based off. If there is not a number and I REALLY want to get a weight violation I can go off the axle numbers on the door panel or even the tire loads off the sidewall. I will say this.. In the hundreds of stops I conduct a month for various stuff it is rarely I put trucks on the scale unless they are obviously overloaded.

If your truck is legal, inspected (if required in your state), insured, registered and you have a valid license you will get your speeding ticket or warning {or whatever if stopped) and be on your way for most stops. That goes for probably every state out there. I do not go randomly stopping cars to look for problems. I know what I am looking for and will look for those. I fish where I know I will catch.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #43

Send a message via AIM to B and B
This a great discussion on laws of the land. Deserves a post or pinned post of its own.

OP- You already have your answer for weight. I also faced the same issue myself.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
Old 03-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #44
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
If you follow the posted signage and don't drive like a moron, you should be fine no matter what state you're in.
Makes me wonder why it took this long to state the obvious, but thanks!!
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
Old 03-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #45
Who Dares, Wins

Coming from the road runner... Do you even see the signs? LOL HAHA

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #46

They would really be unhappy in PA if they saw some Redneck here in Arkansas moving a 70 ft mobile home with a 1/2 ton pickup. it has happened more than once
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
Old 03-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #47
Who Dares, Wins

Yes, that would probably raise a few eyebrows!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #48

Well, I gotta admit.........things are a bit different down here. Folks believe forgiveness is divine, and permission is too hard.

But we still don't pay our cops 'in hand'....... not that I've ever seen.

And my daughter and grandson live in SC. He is a student and EMT in NC. I believe (?) he told me that SC cops cannot sit on side of road 'hidden' to catch speeders. Lots of laws in that state that make sense to me! Course, I'm pretty much a Southern Redneck!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 03-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
I assume you have a crew cab? Your truck numbers look similar to mine. You must have the 20 inch goodyear sra tires which are the weak link at 3095 pounds each or thereabouts. Maybe it's 3195, I don't remember.

I'm going to upgrade my tires when the time comes to something closer to 3500-3600 pounds.

The only difference between your truck and a 3500hd srw would be those tires and one extra leaf spring per side.

I actually have the 18" tires. The sticker on the door says not to exceed 2315lbs (payload). This seems to be the turd in the punch bowl.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #50

Quote:

When stopped in MD those years ago I was told if the entire fine and costs was not paid me and my vehicle would remain at that trooper post until it was. The desk Sgt or arresting officer could have reduced the fine and/or costs but did not. I empties my pockets and took the change from the car along with the emergency $10 kept in the glove box in order to get on my way. Had I not had enough my dad would have had to send money ~ and that would put me days AWOL. It was quite a concern as the military paid little in the 60s and I still needed fuel to get back. No food, cigarettes, or even a drink was purchased after they got all my money. Maybe things have changed there in the past 50 years but I don't care and will never be in that state again.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:04 PM   #51
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Well, I gotta admit.........things are a bit different down here. Folks believe forgiveness is divine, and permission is too hard.

But we still don't pay our cops 'in hand'....... not that I've ever seen.

And my daughter and grandson live in SC. He is a student and EMT in NC. I believe (?) he told me that SC cops cannot sit on side of road 'hidden' to catch speeders. Lots of laws in that state that make sense to me! Course, I'm pretty much a Southern Redneck!
I have a feeling that is an old wives tale. I have people tell me that all the time, or that I need to leave my headlights on or it is entrapment... I drive an unmarked Ram 1500 quad cab... You will never see me coming. I will say, in SC, they do not need to give a distance from a speed change to make a stop.. We need to give 500ft. (Leanred that in Yemasee SC getting off 95 LOL)

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #52
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I have a feeling that is an old wives tale. I have people tell me that all the time, or that I need to leave my headlights on or it is entrapment... I drive an unmarked Ram 1500 quad cab... You will never see me coming. I will say, in SC, they do not need to give a distance from a speed change to make a stop.. We need to give 500ft. (Leanred that in Yemasee SC getting off 95 LOL)
and over the last 30 some odd years of traveling I-95 I've passed many many SC Troopers tucked in the heavily tree'd mediums. You don't see them until you are past them.....makes for a pucker factor if you are "pushing" your luck and traveling a ....ummmm..."Tad" over the posted speed!
(NOT towing of course! LOL!)

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 03-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #53
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Coming from the road runner... Do you even see the signs? LOL HAHA
MEEP, MEEP!!
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
Old 03-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #54

I tend to drive a little fast and have several tickets to prove it. SC troopers are experts at hiding and NC troopers like to play jackrabbit. One car will be in the bushes or around a bend with radar and the radio. 3 - 5 more will be in a line in the bushes or around a bend to chase and write. I've seen 4 writing at once where 74 goes from 70 to 55 mph. NC is also extremely adept at catching your speed while traveling in the opposite direction.
SC troopers are real LE, NC are not much other than traffic police. Here the sheriff is the real LE.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #55
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I tend to drive a little fast and have several tickets to prove it. SC troopers are experts at hiding and NC troopers like to play jackrabbit. One car will be in the bushes or around a bend with radar and the radio. 3 - 5 more will be in a line in the bushes or around a bend to chase and write. I've seen 4 writing at once where 74 goes from 70 to 55 mph. NC is also extremely adept at catching your speed while traveling in the opposite direction.
SC troopers are real LE, NC are not much other than traffic police. Here the sheriff is the real LE.
A lot of states that is the case. State Police do state highways (so yes make lots of car stops and car crashes), County police (or sheriffs) do the local streets and general call for service.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #56
Always Learning

Quote:
For PA (remember every state can have very diffrent laws) it is found in our PA vehicle code tittle 75 chapter 49 (this is size length weight height and load of vehicles)

Specifically sub chapter C sections 4941 to 4945(fine section)

This covers gvwr, registered gvwr, Axle load and tire loads. The first two are truck / trailer violations. The last two are all vehicles.
doc73, thank you so much for this and subsequent answers. This has been enlightening to say the least. I have a few "in the weeds" questions that I'd like to PM to you, if you don't mind.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:47 PM   #57
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
doc73, thank you so much for this and subsequent answers. This has been enlightening to say the least. I have a few "in the weeds" questions that I'd like to PM to you, if you don't mind.
Sure.. As long as it is in the weeds and not weed...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #58

I didn't look over your numbers because I did quite a few calculations over a long period of time and came to some general conclusions as to matching for pulling/stopping,wind resistance with a new Ford truck, which of course simply means with a good safety margin as I understand it, not being a weight denier:
1) To pull a quality and around 34 feet or more 5th, which means fairly heavy as quality generally is heavy, either an F350 dually or on the highest end of the spectrum a semi...and no I didn't want either as a daily driver. So, I wrote off that idea, painfully I must admit, having spent a lot of hours toiling over it and deeply researching 5ths.
2) To pull a quality 10,000 lb, 30 ft Airstream, an F250, and I am willing to drive that as a daily driver so this is within my top 3 ideas. Painfully, an F150, despite being with specs, just won't do it for that particular trailer, again from my perspective, nor any SUV.
3) Would love a B+ or C, but eventually will end up towing something as I find that seeing America is best done with not too much time on the interstate and not being pushed to drive the unit if all I want to do is go down to the local dive for breakfast, etc. But that is still within my top 3 ideas, but painfully so as I don't really want to have 2 motorized vehicles.
4) Not worth getting anymore off the subject to discuss.

If you have an accident, quite frankly, most members will probably silently be glad they didn't make the foolish decision to barely match a TV with a 5th if a member cuts it too tight or wrong on the payload or axle weight limitations and one has an accident, legal issues, etc. The weigh deniers will also be silent as they will ascribe it to a personal driving failure, not the match up, as they are unable to verifiably set any weight limits whatsoever and seem to believe all the mfgs are lying anyway and they are big on not wasting your money, but not big on taking responsibility.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
Back in the 90's, the DW was temporarily working in Corpus Christi, with a business partner.
She decided to drive to Louisiana, for the weekend, to see a relative.
She was driving through a tiny town and got pulled over for speeding in a school zone.
She never saw any signage or school.
The officer made her drive to the station where they took her license and was told that she had to pay cash right then and there. They had a clerk at the desk with stacks of cash.
She didn't have enough cash and they wouldn't accept credit or checks.
So they kept her license and wrote her a note, so she could drive and on her way back, drop off the cash to get her license back.
She later found out that this little burg was infamous for this practice and well known to be avoided.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 03-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #60
Always Learning

Quote:
Sure.. As long as it is in the weeds and not weed...
Medicinally, it's legal there now- right? Let's talk weed!
Closed Thread

Tags
tow vehicle