Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #41

If your towing a lot in the mountains, I recommend a exhaust brake.
I found mine to be very useful and will not buy another TV without one.
I agree if your not going into the mountains like the Rockies , NY , NH, or others then your good.
If these smaller diesel had a exhaust brake for smaller TTs we may have something.
I've never seen what your talking about. It must be something the younger people are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-09-2016, 09:24 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

I live in Colorado and you do not need an exhaust brake for such a light camper. (Y'all need to read his post, it's less than 4,000 pounds.)

The true answer on what to tow it with is "it depends" For us, when we went from a 4,000 camper to an 8,000 pound was met by trading in the Tacoma truck for a Tundra. Since we have grandkids who love to come with us, the bigger back seat in the MaxCrew cab is perfect plus we love having the bed of the truck handy for bringing extra stuff for the kids. (Bikes, play pens, swimming pools, extra chairs and outdoor equipment, etc.) Also, we got a 4x4 truck as it's my commuter to work when we get snow storms here in Colorado. (I'm manager of a Mission Essential team of engineers at a local military base and we work 24/7/365 so I have to be able to get to work in any blizzard.)

Let us know what you decide on!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Thanks, that is great info. In our area, it is actually not as easy to find diesel as others, my in-laws were out last year with their Jetta and we had to go to 3 stations to find diesel for them, so I think I would be more inclined to go with gas. Plus, gas is cheaper than diesel here right now and has been for about a year. But we probably won't be buying for a couple of months so things may change.

Cheers.
We can't know the future so prudent people do what they have to do for today.

A Diesel is more hassle than you can imagine. You can't just jump in one today and drive it three or four miles to the Grocery Store, take it to the Mall, drop the kids off at practice, etc.

They need to be run. Diesels are made to run.

A HD Truck means HD maintenance and HD Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH). Not to mention HD fuel consumption and HD Parking and HD Pain In The A%$*

If you need one, there's no substitute. You gotta have one -- But ONLY if you need it.

If you don't, all you're doing is flushing money down the toilet so you can look like a Cowboy Cadillac. Nonsense.

An F-150 is ALL you need.

Back in 2013, I paid $30k Out The Door for my Coyote V8 (360HP, 380lb-ft Torque) Super Cab and it's not worth much less today. Right now.

Usually, March is when the Dealers start to panic and blow the 2015s off the lot. Sometimes April. But they will.

IF they have any leftovers. The new Aluminum bodies are flying off the lots. But I wouldn't worry about that. Wait until you can get a deal.

If you can get by with a Super Cab, do it. I often wish I had gone to a Screw but then I wonder why I think that. Lots more money.

Speaking of which, be prepared. You're gonna be shocked when you go shopping for a new F-150.

Good luck.
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle