Old 02-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #41

Tow well

If you have factory installed tires you should go by the info on the post on your TV. There should be a list of pressure depending on your pay load or tow weights. If you have replace the original tires with a different brand, size, etc. then check the tire manf. recommendations. Several things may be envolved to determine correct pressure. Road conditions, weight of axles, etc. Just do not trust your service techs to know the right answers for your driving situation.
Red Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:21 PM   #42

Basic tire question

I always read these tire threads and have had the question:

If the Max tire pressure is 44 lbs and you set that when the tire is cold won’t you exceed that by at least 4-8 lbs warmed up?

Is that extra pressure accounted for in the tire rating?
LawlessFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #43
FLY4FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawlessFly View Post

If the Max tire pressure is 44 lbs and you set that when the tire is cold won’t you exceed that by at least 4-8 lbs warmed up?

Yes
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:54 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawlessFly View Post

It's max pressure cold, max pressure hot is higher. Burst pressure on a modern tire is over 200 psi. When tires blowout on the hot highway it's never from high pressure, it's from low pressure. The tire squishes and returns 100's of times a minute and sidewall temps on an under inflated tire can go over 200 degrees until the rubber melts. The higher the inflation the less flex in the sidewall and the cooler the tires will run.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:29 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
It's max pressure cold, max pressure hot is higher. Burst pressure on a modern tire is over 200 psi. When tires blowout on the hot highway it's never from high pressure, it's from low pressure. The tire squishes and returns 100's of times a minute and sidewall temps on an under inflated tire can go over 200 degrees until the rubber melts. The higher the inflation the less flex in the sidewall and the cooler the tires will run.
Always appreciate the fountain of knowledge on this forum.
LawlessFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:39 PM   #46

TPMS adds another dimension

I run a 2300 GMC 2500HD with newish Toyo Open Country CT's on 20" wheels. Sidewalls say 85psi max. I normally run the tires at 65psi front and 85psi back. Recently while the snow is on the road and the TT is off the road, based on a different forum and some sage advice, I decided to run all 4 tires at 65psi to improve the ride and maybe the grip while we are unloaded. Right away I got alarms from tire pressure monitoring system warning that there was low pressure in the rears. I found out that I have to keep them at 80psi or higher so I don't get the alarms. So, even if you want to "de-rate" your pressures based on loads, it looks like the TPMS won't like it.

On another note, when I had tires rotated last year, I had a lot of trouble reprogramming the TPMS. I tried the solution I found on youtube (turn the key, hold the remote control buttons, deflate tire until horn blows, etc) but no luck. In the end I took the truck back to the tire shop and it took them an hour to sort it out. Turns out they don't like TPMS for this reason. Any better ideas for reprogramming the position of the TPMS?
OldGoldwing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire, tow vehicle