Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
X3! Dry weight is just a marketing ploy for suckers and newbies who don't know better.
How is dry weight a marketing ploy? What weight would you propose a manufacturer use? Since CCC can vary wildly and there is no way to know what anyone will load, I don't see how it's a problem or a "ploy" to tell people the dry weight. When did people get so irresponsible that they wanna blame everyone else for their lack of thought. We want someone else to put a sticker on everything to protect us from having to engage in rational thought.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax View Post
If you're "in" the industry then a diesel should be on your short list. I'm not going to say it's a "no brainer" because it seems that people with lots of grey matter use none of it.

Towing: Diesel
Gas: Groceries
What did people tow with prior to the early 90's, pray tell?
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
How is dry weight a marketing ploy? What weight would you propose a manufacturer use? Since CCC can vary wildly and there is no way to know what anyone will load, I don't see how it's a problem or a "ploy" to tell people the dry weight. When did people get so irresponsible that they wanna blame everyone else for their lack of thought. We want someone else to put a sticker on everything to protect us from having to engage in rational thought.
Ignorance and irresponsibility are not the same. People get caught up in the excitement of buying a TT and aren't always thinking rationally. That doesn't mean you take advantage of them.

Apparently you believe it's ethical to do this. To me, it's no different than the salesman saying, "Oh, a half ton can pull this TT," without ever asking anything about the half ton YOU own. Yeah, maybe the RIGHT half ton can pull it, which YOU don't happen to have!

As you point out, the dealer doesn't know what I might add in weight; but guess what? When I bought my Roo, neither did I!! So what good does knowing the dry weight do me? Fortunately, I DID know that GVWR was a lot better to use than dry weight to decide if I could pull it.

But there are many people out there who don't. I've seen people at RV shows with 2-3 kids running around them look at the "dry weight" the dealer has on a big sign on the TT door. It'll say something like "weighs 4500 lbs," and they'll look at each other and say, "hey, our Jeep can pull 5000 lbs, we can pull this!" RIIIIGGGGHHTT. Then I look at the GVWR sticker and it's more like 6000 lbs. Payload is never mentioned. But let's get that guy out there on the road with his 3 kids and his Jeep. Of course, the salesman says, "Oh sure, your Jeep can pull this."

Just because people are ignorant doesn't mean you should be taking advantage of them. Maybe you're so smart now that you've forgotten when you weren't.

Anyhow, yeah, that's how I see it. It's my opinion.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #24
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Dry weight is what it weighed when it left the factory...but is not what it weighs when it leaves the dealership.

Dealerships put in batteries, add-ons and customer ordered options, fill the propane tanks, add electronics (like TV's & stuff), fill water tanks and heater, swap out stuff to help make a sale of a different RV *.

Problem is that a lot people (including RV dealers) will use the dry weight numbers to justify all kinds of things...

Like which tow vehicle...which hitch...which one gets better mileage...the list goes on and on.

Maybe they know better...maybe they don't have a clue...

What would be nice would be if an actual RV weight at the time of sale was required on the loan and licensing paperwork at the time of purchase.

Look around...

I'll bet 1/3 to 1/2 of the trailerable RV's on the road are being towed by a vehicle that is not fully capable of that load!

Like I said...

Dry weight from the factory doesn't mean squat!

* If you've ever been curious as to what actually was in your RV when it left the factory you can get that info from the manufacturers.

Have your Vin# ready...you might be surprised what a dealer may have swapped in or out.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #25

Getting in late, but the 6.2 in the 1500 uses premium grade gasoline. The 2500 with the 6.0, anything from 87 regular on up, including the various ethanol blends. The 1500 6.2 max can’t even come close to a basic no frills 2500 in either tow or payload. And a really good 2500 usually sells for less money on the lot.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #26

I had a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton with 5. something liter engine 6-speed trans and loaded and loved it until.....I bought a toyhauler which the 1/2 ton was able to pull except uphill where I had to baby it. Traded up to a 2015 Chevy 2500HD with the Duramax diesel.....I get better fuel mileage then my 1/2 ton towing and not towing. I did however trade off comfort, 2500 rides like a tank, but I love it
JohnyDollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #27

Quote:
X2 I think most people are smart enough to know (after 5 mins on this forum anyway) you don't size a TV using dry weight; nor do you need to use GVW (which none of us should ever be towing because the GVW of the trailer includes the weight of the people sleeping in it) to size a TV. Your true tow weight is somewhere in between. And yes, most people don't 'know' how much they are towing because they don't weigh their rig. I fall into that category and will be rectifying that when the snow melts. These tow discussions that highjack the original string crack me up. Enough said, I'm out. Please return to your regularly scheduled channel.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #28

The premium fuel thing would be the deal breaker for sure. Gawd that stuff is expensive. And I won't even mention the word diesel. Oops I did.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #29

I don't need a diesel, don't care for the higher maintenance cost.

I agree, the dry weight is some what irrelevant, but it also gives people a base line on how much weight they will be pulling. I was ask how heavy the camper is and I use that as a reference, that's why I said according to the manufacturer website.

I definitely think the 6.0 2500 Silverado or the 6.2L 1500 will do the job. That's why I ask for feedback from anyone that has a Silverado with that engine and transmission configuration.

I do appreciate the unsolicited feedback that other have posted. I don't mean that in a rude way at all.
Camping-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #30

I had a 2015 1500 with the 6.2. Fun to drive. Lots of power. Towed a #6800 ish loaded 30 ft TT. Forward momentum and stopping were no issue. 7-10 MPG 65-70 MPH. Windy days were another story. I found filling the 30 gallon fresh water tank made it tow considerably better when windy. The tank was between the axles, so the low weight made a difference.
The torque converter went south after about 2000 miles of towing. The truck had 8000 miles on it before I started towing. Took it in under warranty and traded it in before they fixed it. Dealer and google indicate it is a common problem. Moved to a 2500 diesel. Wouldn't ever look back. Go with a 2500 if your planning to rack up the miles towing.

Will note like others, that the 2500 rides rough. Not my daily driver though.
natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg View Post
I had a 2015 1500 with the 6.2. Fun to drive. Lots of power. Towed a #6800 ish loaded 30 ft TT. Forward momentum and stopping were no issue. 7-10 MPG 65-70 MPH. Windy days were another story. I found filling the 30 gallon fresh water tank made it tow considerably better when windy. The tank was between the axles, so the low weight made a difference.
The torque converter went south after about 2000 miles of towing. The truck had 8000 miles on it before I started towing. Took it in under warranty and traded it in before they fixed it. Dealer and google indicate it is a common problem. Moved to a 2500 diesel. Wouldn't ever look back. Go with a 2500 if your planning to rack up the miles towing.
Thank you!!!!
Camping-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #32

Camping-man - I wasn't suggesting you get a diesel.... I was playing off a previous post that referenced it, as these threads often go that way.

No, you don't need a diesel.

Here's what I can tell you from personal experience: I had a 2013 2500 6.0 gasser, and it pulled my (at that time) TT very well. One thing that drove me nuts was the constant intake howl, especially going over bridges. That, and the hunting through gears was enough that I got out of it. It WAS a hauling machine, I can attest to that. My son had a 2016 Camaro SS with that 6.2, and it was fun to drive! I'm sure that engine in a pickup would be too. If you're going to do a lot of towing, I'd suggest considering the 2500 for its befier construction. If you're only going to pull short distances, only occasionally, the have a blast with the 1500. My humble .02
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #33

I bought a new 2010 GMC 1500 Max tow with the 6.2. I was pulling a 6500# camper. I was getting 6 mpg running 60 mph. Empty the very best I ever got was 16 mpg. I will say it would run but towing was no picnic. I hated the truck. Sold it after only 6500 miles. Later on bought a 99 2500 with a 6.0. It would do as well as the 6.2 empty gas mileage wise. As for towing I never towed more than 5000# with it but it got 10.5 mpg doing that. I think the 2500 with the 6.0 would be my choice hands down. Better brakes and all around heavier built truck for the application.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #34

I'm sure the 6.2 in a half ton is a loads of fun nobody can deny that . But Im with the rest of these guys get a 2500HD have plenty of extra capacity a truck made to haul and not worry about the load . The other nice thing is you can go bigger with your trailer in the future and not need another truck . As for the ride I guess since I've been in a truck for over 20 years I dont know any better but honestly I dont ever seem to have an issue with the way a HD rides . Gas, Diesel, Lithium, pedal powered thats up to you Im a diesel guy I love the power and mileage it gives me . I probably wont ever go back to a gas truck but you never know for sure .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to BGinVA
I have a 2015 Silverado, 6.2L, 8-speed. Been great. Currently tow a Shamrock 23FL, roughly 5K lbs, a 2-horse trailer, and 25 ft boat. No problems at 45,000 miles. Drive the mountains of east TN, north GA and western NC a lot and have no problems keeping speeds. Thw 8-speed was new in 2015 and it toom some getting use to. Hunts around obnoxioisly at low speeds. Biggest drawback to 6.2L ... Chevy directs you to use Premium gas, i.e., 93 octane. When not towing, the truck is a blast to drive.
BGinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping-man View Post
I don't need a diesel, don't care for the higher maintenance cost.

I agree, the dry weight is some what irrelevant, but it also gives people a base line on how much weight they will be pulling. I was ask how heavy the camper is and I use that as a reference, that's why I said according to the manufacturer website.

I definitely think the 6.0 2500 Silverado or the 6.2L 1500 will do the job. That's why I ask for feedback from anyone that has a Silverado with that engine and transmission configuration.

I do appreciate the unsolicited feedback that other have posted. I don't mean that in a rude way at all.
I'm pulling my Mini Lite 2503S at a bit over 5000 lbs (estimate) with a 2016 2500HD 6.0L. See signature below. Pulls just fine for me, but mileage sucks (9mpg). Ride w/o the TT is rough.

So if it's not a daily driver and you expect to ever go bigger, I'd say get the 2500HD 6.0L

If it's a daily driver and you don't expect to go much bigger, get the 1500 6.2L.

If it's a daily driver and you do expect to go bigger, I guess flip a coin.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:34 PM   #37

Quote:
What did people tow with prior to the early 90's, pray tell?
1890's? Weren't you around?
vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:31 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping-man View Post
Hello, hope everyone is doing well. do you have a Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 6.2L and 8 speed transmission? how do you like it?

I'm considering one of this as well as a 2500 Silverado with the 6.0L

the 1500 with the 6.2L would sounds like it will be a fun truck to drive while is not towing anything. I already test drive the 2500 and I like it a lot. I would like to know from current owners what they think about their truck. I have seen a few of them for sale with low miles... makes me wonder why people change their mind other that to get more payload.
I have owned both and now have an 3500. If 1500 is powerfull enough for your use, it is a great ride. 2500 is basically the same truck but rides quite rough. If you need the heavier truck, check out the 3500. It rides almost as smooth as the 1500 due to not sitting on the heavier springs unless loaded up.
newcowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:18 PM   #39
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I'm not sure why everybody seems to think that the Chevy 2500HD is a rough ride...

Mine is not rough...or maybe it is me.

But, in case you guys didn't realize...

We are talking about TRUCKS...aren't we?

Sounds like a bunch of girls whining around here...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:43 AM   #40

There were significant changes made to the 2017 HD's...I couldn't find a review that didn't choose the Chevy for the best ride and I agree. I even thought the 2500 Chevy had a nicer ride than the heavy payload F150. Certainly not as soft as a standard duty halfer though.

As far as the motor choice... There's a guy who tows for a living that just turned over 500,000 miles with only replacing the water pump twice and the alternator once in his 6.0. Yeah, I know that's one example but dig around and you'll find this 'old' motor has been around a long time with only minor updates for a reason...they are a trouble free work horse that just keeps going. -Amazing and hard to believe if looking at the tech specs on the gas motors from the big three that the GM 6.0 out pulls the Ram 6.4 up the Ike.

I don't think there are 'bad' choices today but I don't think there are any better choices in gas motors for a working truck than the GM 6.0. (Fleets would agree...you don't see delivery trucks being fitted with the 6.2)

Since your current Suburban is towing well...the 6.2 would do a fine job and be a hoot to drive around empty. My friend's dad traded in a 6.2 half ton for a 6.0 HD. He misses the speed when driving around empty but happy he traded as soon as he hooks up one of his trailers.

Good luck