Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #61

I actually ran air bags with a TT using an F150. My conundrum was that I hauled a lot of stuff in the trucks bed and the TW of the TT was only 500 lbs. I needed 1000 lb bars to bring the front of the truck back close to OEM height. That made for a really rough ride.
I added air bags and used bars rated at 400-600 lbs.
I first loaded the truck up, then aired the bags up to bring the back of the truck to it's original height. Then hitched up the TT and used the spring bars to set the trucks front height. Towed smooth and solid.
I nave bags on my current Ram 2500 6.4 from owning a 5er prior to getting our current TT. My TW is 1350 lbs and I'm using a Blue Ox with 2000 lb spring bars. I find airing my bags makes little difference in how the front measures or how the truck handles. I usually run 10 PSI in them cause I can. I've filled them to 30 and as low as 5 psi and there's not much difference that I could tell blindfolded which PSI is in the bags.
I've seen that video a few years back and it's definitely an eye opener.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo7 View Post
Larry0071 you’re a very perceptive guy, I didn’t reply to the thread BUT did to those who privately messaged me and were constructive. I asked a specific question and then listened to what was being said. There was a lot of good feedback and then I got what I thought I would, a lot of mixed responses that were off topic. The question I asked was seeking input from those with experiences in a similar situation like mine, I didn’t get a lot of on topic replies, many thanks to those who did.

The thing I did get out of this is some really good people made private contact and shared their opinions. I’m not new to towing or pulling a travel trailer just the particular situation that I find myself in with a beefy half ton that I love that I can’t trade without losing significantly financially - which I’m good at doing. I’ve owned a bunch of trucks over my life mostly half ton but 3/4 ton too so I know the strengths and limitations. Again I was just looking for feedback on towing a big TT with a half ton truck. Thank you to those who shared their experiences with me.

Now to really stir the pot...the below link will take you to an article in RV Lifestyle magazine that says the numbers don’t matter in a situation like mine. I’m guessing that will get some folks riled up.

https://rvlifemag.com/towing-half-to...e-quarter-ton/
It’s too bad the conversation went to PM instead of continuing in the open forum. Some of the advice you got or the rationale you received might be beneficial for someone else having similar concerns.

Oh well plenty of can my half ton truck pull “X” threads out there.
primo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #63

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo20 View Post
It’s too bad the conversation went to PM instead of continuing in the open forum. Some of the advice you got or the rationale you received might be beneficial for someone else having similar concerns.

Oh well plenty of can my half ton truck pull “X” threads out there.

I did a quick score of the responses to his question so I totally understand him using PMs.

After 1-1/2 pages of responses there were 12 "chicken little the sky is falling we'll all die on the highway type answers" 8 suggesting caution, 5 that added value to the topic, and 5 that added no value getting off topic. And now I've added my expert 2 cents.
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Airbags, HD tires and other mods do not increase payload.
Well of course they don't change the sticker, all you need is a sharpie for that. However if all of these things were added to the truck from the factory they would almost certainly give it a higher payload rating. Plus the rating is not the end all be all of what a truck is capable of. The rating is so you can blast 80 mph down the interstate or bounce along some rutted forest service trail at full rating on a 110 degree summer day, or climb 15% grades with the pedal pinned for 30 mins and still not have any warranty problems. If you drive withing the limits of you load you can tow a space shuttle or 10 loaded logging trailers as many a famous ad shows.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Well of course they don't change the sticker, all you need is a sharpie for that. However if all of these things were added to the truck from the factory they would almost certainly give it a higher payload rating.
Actually...it would make it lower since the weight of those things you add would make the curb weight of the truck higher.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:34 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Actually...it would make it lower since the weight of those things you add would make the curb weight of the truck higher.
When I added air assist springs it was to level my truck and trailer ... when I switched to LT E rated tires it was to add more support and a firmer ride neither was done to change my payload ... but it did change my truck. we know it does not change payload did I mention my payload now 4394
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
When I added air assist springs it was to level my truck and trailer ... when I switched to LT E rated tires it was to add more support and a firmer ride neither was done to change my payload
I agree somewhat with everything you just wrote. Of course, if you may have not noticed, was not responding or quoting anything you said.

Anything you add to your truck reduces its payload...that includes helper springs, air bags...
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:25 PM   #68

Quote:
Unless this happened to you, I am not aware of any commercial enforcement LEO's who will pull over, cite and place an "out of service" sticker on a RV assumed to be over the payload of the tow vehicle.
Has this happened to anyone on the forum?
I guess I am repeating what others have told me. (probably on this forum! lol!) That said, I've seen some VERY scary looking squatted trucks that SHOULD be pulled over. We probably all have.

I had a 2016 ram 1/2 ton and I'm pretty sure I was waaay over my ratings if my current 2012 ram 3/4 is at it's limits. (now that I understand what they are)

The LEO friend I did talk to about my current truck said... "As long as you are not exceeding the GCWR or any of the GAWR, (truck or trailer) no one will care". He said those are the safety ratings they care about. But he did mention, no LEO is going to pull over a travel trailer for any type of "spot check" unless it is obviously and visibly over limits.

James
2012 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins
Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #69

I love my 1/2 ton Ram and TT setup. I’m over 2,500 lbs lighter than your set-up and shorter as well. I’m not sure I’d be comfortable pulling your trailer with my truck.

Have you pulled it yet? How’s it feel? Have you pulled on highway/interstate yet?

It’s not camping but glamping is better than nothing.
RamFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #70

Cease fire ....

All hostilities can cease...we just bought a new 2019 RAM 2500 Laramie. I went with the gas motor option of the 6.4 Hemi this time. I’m sure there are those who will differ in opinion but the Hemi is potent behind the 8 speed transmission and has gotten outstanding reviews by guys that have believability. Check out YouTube for Big Truck RV Reviews and The Fast Lane truck guys who conduct real world towing tests in what they call the toughest towing test in America. I know the power of the Cummins, I just didn’t have a favorable experience with mine and didn’t think it was worth it this time.

The new truck is more than capable, GVWR 10,000 lbs, max payload of 2931 and tow 14,431. So we’re good and not a danger to ourselves or others. The universe will reward us somewhere down the road ... it always does.

I edited this post - I wanted to sincerely offer my thanks to those folks who took the time to answer me and offer solid feedback. I appreciate the PMs and will hopefully stay in touch.
Kimo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:46 PM   #71

Im glad you made the change. I know it probably hurt a bit.

I'm of the opinion that no matter what justification one looks for, there will be ample responses to support a particular decision. If one wants justification for a new truck, they will get it. If they want justification to keep their current truck, they can get that too. No lack of opinions out there.

I tried to read the link you posted, but it timed out....

Anyways, I think you got the right tool to do the job.

Mike
Old 02-17-2020, 07:48 PM   #72

Quote:
All hostilities can cease...
normally i don't get in forum wars or flame people...but thats not really fair. you asked an opinion - you got many - its obvious you agreed - but to call people out for responding to your question - and when you didnt offer some of the requested info back? come on...
Old 02-17-2020, 10:22 PM   #73
Site Team

Congrats! Great choice.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:31 PM   #74

Quote:
All hostilities can cease...we just bought a new 2019 RAM 2500 Laramie. I went with the gas motor option
Waaaaaait a minute - you can't say "cease fire" and then throw gas/diesel on the gas vs. diesel fire!!!!
You didn't stop the war, it just moved from the "towing capacity" battlefield to the "gas vs. diesel" battlefield!!!

Seriously though, yes, you've put a big deposit into the Karma jar, so now go focus on enjoying that new rig set up!!!
Old 02-17-2020, 10:47 PM   #75
Just a member

Quote:
...we just bought a new 2019 RAM 2500 Laramie. I went with the gas motor option of the 6.4 Hemi this time. I’m sure there are those who will differ in opinion but the Hemi is potent behind the 8 speed transmission and has gotten outstanding reviews by guys that have believability.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:52 PM   #76

Quote:
All hostilities can cease...we just bought a new 2019 RAM 2500 Laramie. I went with the gas motor option of the 6.4 Hemi this time. I’m sure there are those who will differ in opinion but the Hemi is potent behind the 8 speed transmission and has gotten outstanding reviews by guys that have believability. Check out YouTube for Big Truck RV Reviews and The Fast Lane truck guys who conduct real world towing tests in what they call the toughest towing test in America. I know the power of the Cummins, I just didn’t have a favorable experience with mine and didn’t think it was worth it this time.

The new truck is more than capable, GVWR 10,000 lbs, max payload of 2931 and tow 14,431. So we’re good and not a danger to ourselves or others. The universe will reward us somewhere down the road ... it always does.

I edited this post - I wanted to sincerely offer my thanks to those folks who took the time to answer me and offer solid feedback. I appreciate the PMs and will hopefully stay in touch.
Waaaaaaaait a minute. Now you can get a bigger trailer!
RamFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:14 PM   #77

Congrats ... next door neighbor just got the same truck ... he pulls a 37' Open Range lite 5ver with room to spare ... enjoy your new truck
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:21 AM   #78

I see there’s interest in knowing how I pulled this off ... I thought I’d spare you all the the details and just let you know it was resolved but since I see there’s interest in knowing the rest of the story here are the details. I married a woman I don’t deserve, who is too good for me and amazing in so many ways... this is just one more for the list.

She made the suggestion to trade her 2019 RAV4 Hybrid which, yes of course, we took a loss on but it was MUCH less than we would have on the Longhorn. I worked the phone and internet trying to find a dealer who was willing to work with us on a truck we wanted and eventually the stars lined up. We convinced ourselves it was worth it for peace of mind. She loves my Longhorn and is capable of driving any vehicle up to a military deuce and a half, she’s no daisy, a beauty who can hold her own in most any situation. The vehicle she had before the RAV4 was a 2016 Challenger 6.4 Hemi with the Scat Pack Option and a shaker poking through the hood, it was wicked. She’s a big fan of the Hemi and the Longhorn is loaded. She also likes that the Cattle Tan interior matches her favorite purse. Who could argue with that kind of logic, so her wish was granted.

So for now... we are a 2 truck family. It looks like big and little brothers sitting side by side in the driveway, the trucks match with a little variation. They are both Maximum steel in exterior color. I’m going to try and attach a pic to this post.

Thanks again for all the positive and constructive feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14E7DB86-0E36-48EE-BEA5-177F81188A9A.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	223558  
Kimo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:22 AM   #79

Towing 10k lbs with a 2019 RAM 1500

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1019.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	223559Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1021.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	223560Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1018.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	223561

I went through this about 1.5 years ago. Trucks are identical except 1500 - 3500.

I’m towing about 14,500 lbs now.

Gorgeous truck! I’m jealous! I’m always jealous when someone has a newer truck than me. Haha
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:06 AM   #80

Quote:
Anecdotal third hand information or do you have a link?
No link. Like I said, although it has been around 10 years now, info is from directly talking to a CHP officer. Yes, I use to work with the CHP at times before I retired.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, towing