Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 04:53 AM   #1

Towing 1999 GMC Envoy 4x4

Need some expert inputs, I've been trying to figure out best way forward, how to tow my Envoy. Reading my manual under recreational vehicle towing it shows a picture of flat towing and says put transfer case in neutral and pull RDO fuse to save battery. Followed by next section 4Wheel Drive which tells you put transfer case in nuetrel . Simple, I can flat tow.

Then under Towing your vehicle section:
Your vehicle can be towed with wheel lift
or car carrier equipment. When towing with wheel lift
equipment, the transfer case must be in NEUTRAL and
the following tow limits must be used:

Towing from the front -- 55 mph (88 km/h) or

legal speed limit and distance is unlimited

Towing from the rear -- 35 mph (55 km/h),

50 miles (80 km)

So I read all 3 sections to say, I can tow 4 down, dolly or trailer. Basically the only thing to do either flat tow or dolly is put transfer case in neutral and pull RDO fuse.

I am leaning towards dolly just because I am not restricted to just towing Envoy with my 329DS without buying different adapters for other vehicles.

Do you agree, I can flat tow, dolly or trailer?

Secarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:12 AM   #2

I think that you could do all. With that said, have you been able to put the transfer case in neutral. I used to work on that body style at the dealership and I know that the Bravada by Oldsmobile was full time four wheel drive and couldn't be switched to neutral. Is the envoy able to be moved to neutral?
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #3

Full time

Good question, I have nuetral spot on dash for transfer case indication. I am going to test tonight. I would think since manual section for four wheel drive says shift to neutral I would be good. We will see
Old 08-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #4

If you have the neutral light you will be able to. Always have the park brake set when shifting into neutral. Park for the transmission will not work anymore. I've seen the result of that many times. People get out and their suv rolls away.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #5

Verified

Following the manual, I got the transfer case into neutral, then followed procedures to unlock steering for towing.

Thanks...

Tags
towing