Old 08-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #1

Towing a 2019 GC Summit with Isata 5... auxiliary brake system?

Hi. I'm knew to the forum since I recently put an Isata 5 30FW on order with expected delivery in January. I will be flat towing my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee using the Blue Ox Ascent Tow Bar. I've been calling around to get the base plate installed on my Summit and each place I have called has said that an auxiliary braking system in the Jeep is necessary. My question is, is it 'necessary' with the exhaust braking system that comes on the RAM 4500 chassis. Is it required by law in some states?

Is anyone with an Isata 5, towing without it? I get that it would provide an extra measure of braking safety but I don't want to be sold something that may be a "nice to have". Sorry if I sound a bit cynical but I would rather spare the extra wear-and-tear on the Summit's brakes unless I am going to have problems slowing down the set-up.

Those that are using a braking system in their GC, which brand/model do you prefer?

Thanks for your help and guidance as I fill the hours until I take delivery of my I5.

-Brian
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #2

That GC has a curb weight of more than 4500 pounds. You are going to need an auxiliary braking system in most states and provinces. I would recommend it highly. You will find lots of threads on this subject.

You also need it for breakaway situations, no matter how remote those possibilities are.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing