Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2021, 10:26 PM   #1

Towing a 273QBXL with 2020 Armada

Picked up our new TT today and towed it home with our 2020 Armada. It was pretty windy today but it seems to move around quite a bit. This is my first time pulling a TT so is this pretty normal? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2554.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	448.4 KB
ID:	253515The dealer installed the Reese Pro Round Bar system. The TT is a 273QBXL which is 6150 lbs and the Armada says 8500lbs max towing capacity.
Motown Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:04 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Campers View Post
Picked up our new TT today and towed it home with our 2020 Armada. It was pretty windy today but it seems to move around quite a bit. This is my first time pulling a TT so is this pretty normal? Attachment 253515The dealer installed the Reese Pro Round Bar system. The TT is a 273QBXL which is 6150 lbs and the Armada says 8500lbs max towing capacity.
First, you've possibly made two newbie mistakes.
1. Using fictional dry weight numbers.
2. Using fictional towing numbers.

Is the 6150lbs number from the TT's yellow sticker?
And what is the Nissan's payload capacity, from the driver's door yellow payload sticker?
It looks like the car has rear sag. Did you install the WDH?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:47 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, the 6150lbs is from the sticker on the door of the travel trailer, the payload capacity shows 1786lbs on the door of the Armada.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
First, you've possibly made two newbie mistakes.
1. Using fictional dry weight numbers.
2. Using fictional towing numbers.

Is the 6150lbs number from the TT's yellow sticker?
And what is the Nissan's payload capacity, from the driver's door yellow payload sticker?
It looks like the car has rear sag. Did you install the WDH?

Additionally, we did have the RV place install the Reese Pro Round Bar Weight Distribution system. Possibly the wrong bars?
Old 05-04-2021, 04:02 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Additionally, we did have the RV place install the Reese Pro Round Bar Weight Distribution system. Possibly the wrong bars?
You should adjust the WDH. very few dealers properly adjust it correctly.
using 12% of the trailer's GVWR for ballpark loaded tongue weight and adding 100lbs for the WDH, that leaves you 756lbs for the weights of everyone(including driver)and car cargo.
So it looks like you have enough payload unless you load the Armada heavy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 05-04-2021, 05:35 AM   #6

Help

May I ask how to adjust the WD System, like I say I am completely new to this?
Old 05-04-2021, 07:27 AM   #7

Weight isn’t your issue, it’s the length

That’s a 33.5’ long TT on a 121” wheelbase.

WDH adjustment isn’t going to fix your sway issue, that’s simply too much trailer.

The Armada’s wheelbase is too short for that long of a TT, you need to keep the length under 30 feet
Old 05-04-2021, 07:42 AM   #8

Couldn't agree more with you on the length. My TV is a 2012 Armada. I won't consider anything over 30 feet for a new TT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryHemi View Post
Weight isnít your issue, itís the length

Thatís a 33.5í long TT on a 121Ē wheelbase.

WDH adjustment isnít going to fix your sway issue, thatís simply too much trailer.

The Armadaís wheelbase is too short for that long of a TT, you need to keep the length under 30 feet
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:09 AM   #9

I have the Reese round bar pro also. I had to completely reset the hitch from what the dealer had setup. They had the nose of trailer down about 3 -3.5". It is much better, but still tweaking it a bit. Dealer told me "you can tow anything on our lot with your truck", that's a big nope. I have 2019 Ram 1500 classic (140 inch wheelbase) and my 27ft Alpha Wolf is the max I was willing to go with. I like having a bit of room and not maxing out to the trucks specs.

Hope you get to where your comfortable going down the road.

Here is a link to the reese video on setup, I know it says 5th wheel but it is for the round bar pro

glvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:54 PM   #10

To long of a trailer for your vehicle.
Jdb95650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:44 PM   #11
Tundra 2014

TV

You made the same mistake many of us have made, too much trailer for the TV. On top of that w/ a SUV you have a softer suspension than you would w/ a truck. The length on top is going to make it unpleasant to tow.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #12
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryHemi View Post
Weight isnít your issue, itís the length

Thatís a 33.5í long TT on a 121Ē wheelbase.

WDH adjustment isnít going to fix your sway issue, thatís simply too much trailer.

The Armadaís wheelbase is too short for that long of a TT, you need to keep the length under 30 feet
Yes siree, that is a lot of TT for a short wheelbase TV. As stated previously, you TW is always going to be 10-12%. As you start adding gear to the TT your TW is going to climb. With careful consideration/planning you might be able to stay within your ratings, but the drive may be less than pleasant. One thing that I would certainly look at is LT tires on your TV, if you're currently equipped with passenger tires. I'm guessing that your Armada is equipped with a "complete" towing package to include tow mode and adequate transmission cooling?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:43 PM   #13

So annoying!

This is a comment on posts we see so often here. Dealers mislead people, especially newbies like we were, all the time. We had a 2007 F 150 5.4L V8, and they said you can pull anything on this lot. Fortunately, we went with a 2017 2109S, and the truck did fine. There needs to be a way for people to find a forum like this before they fall for the dealer BS and buy something too big. We just traded for a 2018 3.5L Ecoboost. Haven't towed the TT with it yet. Good luck with your new TT!
Eldereaglewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:01 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldereaglewatcher View Post
This is a comment on posts we see so often here. Dealers mislead people, especially newbies like we were, all the time. There needs to be a way for people to find a forum like this before they fall for the dealer BS and buy something too big.
Luckily, I never fell for dealer lies because I went to various RV forums before I bought my first RV.
I guess I'm in the minority, in that I research for months before making a big purchase. It took me two years of research and shopping before I bought my previous tow vehicle. It took me two years of learning about RVs on forums, before I felt knowledgeable enough to buy my first RV.
The information is available to anyone, from dozens of RV forums. The problem is that few take the time to research and educate themselves.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:34 PM   #15

The empty hitch weight is already at 752 lbs, according to FR literature. Once equipped with battery, propane and all your gear, you may well be over your max hitch weight. As others have said, too much trailer and not enough tow vehicle. I had one salesman tell me they only consider max tow capacity when recommending a trailer, which is ridiculous, as travel trailer tongue weights tend to be 13 or 14 percent once loaded up.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L 4.10
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Picked up our new TT today and towed it home with our 2020 Armada. It was pretty windy today but it seems to move around quite a bit. This is my first time pulling a TT so is this pretty normal? Attachment 253515The dealer installed the Reese Pro Round Bar system. The TT is a 273QBXL which is 6150 lbs and the Armada says 8500lbs max towing capacity.

Well, wind doesnít help. It can knock over semis and push well equipped tow vehicles off bridges. Iím guessing your limited with your current situation with a trailer too long for what your towing it with. Where do you go from here? Can you return the trailer for a shorter one? Upgrade to a longer tow vehicle? Iím rather new myself and have learned a lot from this forum. One of the first things I would do with that setup is adjust your weight distribution hitch wdh like many have already mentioned. You may need to dig into the instructions online for your specific model. Next would be get new tires on the trailer, plenty of posts in this forum on why, and what brands to look at. I did notice a difference with pulling the trailer being more stable. Keep the tow vehicle light and properly load the trailer, again plenty of posts on this. If that doesnít help with feeling like your fighting the trailer when towing, I would really consider a different tow vehicle. Keep your speed down, even if the sign says 70, my 2 cents!
Squatchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:30 PM   #17

Quote:
May I ask how to adjust the WD System, like I say I am completely new to this?

I will try to answer your questions so you can be as safe as possible with the setup that you have. Typically the hitch will have adjustments that allow you to put more tension on the bars which will distribute more of the tongue weight of the trailer away from the hitch, and onto the front wheels of the tow vehicle, and the trailer axles. Find the instructions for your hitch, or even a good YouTube video for your hitch and you should find the instructions pretty easy to follow.

The other thing that will help with sway is making sure that the hitchís sway control system is set up and adjusted properly. I am not familiar with that hitch so I donít know how its sway control works, but many of them are adjustable. It will take some getting used to, when pulling a trailer and at first any sway will feel like a lot. While I agree that a longer wheelbase would help your situation, I think you can also make what you have work reasonably safely. There a lot of people out there pulling trailers as long as yours with a Chevy Tahoe. Not ideal, but doable.

2012 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Silver - 117K miles
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali - White - 217K miles
2021 Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L
Geotrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:01 PM   #18
Tundra 2014

WDH

Check Youtube for info on people using the hitch. The factory info is good, but sometimes they show a little more detail or explain it in a different manner.
You might look into Timbrens for rear axel. It will not add weight capacity, but will eliminate some of the squat. I had good success on several trucks w/ these. Very simple and will give you more stability, plus reduce the shock going over bumps. These are easy to install, no mainitance. I had a nose heavy trailer and helped more than new shocks, sway bar, and reposisioning weight in the trailer.
Visit a CAT scale to get your actual weights. It will let you know where you really are on weight. May takes 2 trips and adjusting WDH to improve.
PS- I like to weigh w/ a full fresh water tank. Gives you a realistic number if you ever have to tow home from a camp area w/ no dumps.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:37 AM   #19
Camping the Natural State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldereaglewatcher View Post
This is a comment on posts we see so often here. Dealers mislead people, especially newbies like we were, all the time. We had a 2007 F 150 5.4L V8, and they said you can pull anything on this lot. Fortunately, we went with a 2017 2109S, and the truck did fine. There needs to be a way for people to find a forum like this before they fall for the dealer BS and buy something too big. We just traded for a 2018 3.5L Ecoboost. Haven't towed the TT with it yet. Good luck with your new TT!
I went from a 2004 F250 with 5.4 to an EcoBeast. Lots better TV !
Old 05-09-2021, 03:25 PM   #20

I personally think that you have weight and control issues.

I towed a 6880 GROSS Weight trailer with a F150 rated to tow 8800lbs. I took it to a CAT scale and guess what? I was over my truck's rear axle weight, even with a properly set up WDH. I exceeded my rated payload weight by about 400 lbs. That truck got me through the first year but I upgraded to an F250. A newer and PROPERLY equipped half ton would have been fine though.

Please do yourself a favor and get yourself to a CAT scale and run the numbers. We just got home from camping and I saw a Chevy Tahoe towing a similar TT. Guess where it was? Jackknifed on the side of the road. The people got out fine but there was heavy semi traffic that day on the Interstate.
Mdmoore76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing