Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2020, 07:31 PM   #1

Towing a 5th wheel with RAM Boxes

Who out there tows a 5th wheel with a RAM Box configuration? I would like to know what is the best setup. What to look for and what not to look for. I was told towing 5th is tricky with RAM Boxes and this is why you cant get a 5th wheel package from the factory.

Example: Goose or 5th whats is better with RAM Box? Why?

Thx!
nexcompac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #2

I went from a 5th wheel to a pull type camper because I couldn't turn with the new truck with ram boxes. Then I researched Ram forums and saw how to make it work.
I bought a 5th wheel that has the wedge that goes in the fifth wheel plate and pivots on the pin box. I also found out you can add the factory in bed 5th wheel prep kit and I am alot happier with this setup. If I trade this truck in, I am going to go with a 6.4, 8 speed, 4.10 gearing, 8 ft box, and skip the Ram Boxes. I can better utilize the box space for a water tank and my generator.

I had a gooseneck adapter on the previous 5th wheel and that didn't give me any more clearance for turning.
Les Clemetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:24 AM   #3

I have a 24rl 5th wheel and tow with my 6' 4" Ram truck. I use a Curt A16 hitch with a slider. I use the slider in the rear position for hook up then slide forward for towing. You can't leave the tail gate down and load with the hitch forward. I also use a Morryde rubber (1621) pin box to cushion the chucking....works well.
Oldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:10 PM   #4

Does your Ram pickup have the Ram Box storage boxes? That's where things get tricky. The slider is only helping with the clearance on the cab, not on the sides.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #5

No it does not. Can't that be adjusted by pin height?
Oldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #6

No, the pin box sits below the pickup bed as it extends back, so with a narrower box, turning angles are limited. My previous 5th wheel also has a gooseneck adapter and that didn't change anything either. The pin box was still sitting well below the top of the pickup box.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Clemetson View Post
No, the pin box sits below the pickup bed as it extends back, so with a narrower box, turning angles are limited. My previous 5th wheel also has a gooseneck adapter and that didn't change anything either. The pin box was still sitting well below the top of the pickup box.
The box is no narrower with Ram boxes
boydn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydn1 View Post
The box is no narrower with Ram boxes
The bed is narrower with Ram boxes. We have them on our 1500 but not on the 3500. I don’t think you can pull a 5 Th with the boxes. Turning would be very restricted.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newsoms View Post
The bed is narrower with Ram boxes. We have them on our 1500 but not on the 3500. I don’t think you can pull a 5 Th with the boxes. Turning would be very restricted.
Please explain there’s our bed is 48” with the ram box and your bed is 48” between the wheel wells. 48” is 48”
Old 10-10-2020, 07:43 PM   #10

This photo shows just how much narrower the interior of the box gets with Ram Box.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:45 PM   #11

Quote:
This photo shows just how much narrower the interior of the box gets with Ram Box.
This.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #12

Quote:
The area in front of and behind the wheel wells don’t matter. The fifth wheel hitch goes between the wells. There’s lots of people out there pulling 5er with Ram boxes. Shan’t argue with you, way too much proof with a simple search. Peace
Old 10-11-2020, 10:01 AM   #13

Quote:
The area in front of and behind the wheel wells don’t matter. The fifth wheel hitch goes between the wells. There’s lots of people out there pulling 5er with Ram boxes. Shan’t argue with you, way too much proof with a simple search. Peace
I’m just tell you the boxes take up part of the bed. I don’t have to search, I have one of each sitting out side right now.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:14 AM   #14

Quote:

Perhaps we are talking about different things. The Ram boxes are on each side of the bed. There is approximately 9in difference from center of bed to side rail with the box so almost, if not definitely, impossible to turn a 5th without hitting the side rail.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #15

There is a lot of misinformation about this subject. Because of that, I traded to a newer pickup with Ram Boxes with the dealer telling me that my 5th wheel would be fine. Well as you know, it wasn't and I ended up trading to a new 5th wheel with the pivoting pin box. Expensive, but you have to upgrade sooner or later anyway.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #16

Like to follow this post as I also have the RamBoxes. We have considered going back to a 5th wheel in the near future.

Gary

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
GlowPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #17

You can use any type of plate for your truck. I installed the pucks that come with a new 5th wheel prepped Ram myself, because I wanted a clear box when the plate wasn't in the box. Google the install of that, and you will find you tube videos on that. The key point to making it all work is getting the sidewinder style pin box on the 5th wheel so you can turn the thing.

When I pull the 5th wheel plate out in the fall, I put a rubber mat in the box and it covers up all of my puck and gooseneck holes.

Tags
5th wheel, ram, towing, wheel