Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2024, 07:34 AM   #1

Towing a Forest River Wildwood FSX260RTKX with F150

Hi all, I am wondering what most of you haul your FSX260 Toy haulers with ? I have a 2020 Ford F150 with the ECO Boost 3.5 and the max tow package. I use a Curt 10000# anti sway WDH hitch. I have set it up to the best of my knowledge the way Curt wants me to set it up. I watched their video and did it according to their instructions. I still get a little wander and wiggle when I don't think I should get. Is this normal ? The trailer is pretty much brand new and the truck has only 45K miles so everything is in great mechanical condition. My total trailer weight loaded is well under 8000#s, the towing capacity on the truck is 13500#, and the trailer and truck sits pretty much level. I would appreciate any feedback as to is this normal or should I set it up differently. I mean its not real bad but I thought it should ride a little better and not wander hardly at all. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.
Pop Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 08:00 AM   #2

Your trailer is the same length as ours and we have a very similar truck with the 10000lb E2 fastway hitch. Your trailer is a toy hauler. Are you hauling something very heavy that sits behind the trailer axles? That balance could effect things on your tongue weight. I notice less wander when I have water in the freshwater tank which adds weight to our tongue.

Ours pulls pretty well. Does it feel as solid as the big horse trailers I pulled with an old 1-ton chevy? No. But I feel it is pretty good. The only real "wander" I ever notice is occasional wind. I also just replaced the OE Castle Rock tires and (it might be placebo effect) I feel it is more stable.
Old 06-03-2024, 03:04 PM   #3
Site Team

First, what is the payload capacity of your F150? It's on the Tires and Loading yellow sticker on the driver's door frame. It'll say "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs ".
Second, you need to take your combo to the scales and weigh it.

IMHO, as an owner of a F150 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package, there's no way I'd tow a nearly 30ft toyhauler with it. And mine has a payload capacity of 1828lbs.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/wildwood-fsx/260RTK/8465
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 03:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

IMHO, as an owner of a F150 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package, there's no way I'd tw a nearly 39ft toyhauler with it. And mine has a payload capacity of 1828lbs.

I thought it was a 29 ft toyhauler with a GVW of about 7500lbs. I must have looked at the wrong spec page. 39 ft would be a stretch.
Old 06-03-2024, 03:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fipntdot View Post
I thought it was a 29 ft toyhauler with a GVW of about 7500lbs. I must have looked at the wrong spec page. 39 ft would be a stretch.
Fat finger mistake. I meant nearly 30ft.
I corrected it.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 04:09 PM   #6

I pulled a 28’ Rockwood (not a toy hauler) with a 2013 F150 EB. I used a 4 point Equlizer WD hitch. I never had any issues with sway or wander.

Pulled from Florida to Canada and in between with no issues. It does sound as though you may have too little tongue weight.

As bikendan said you need to go to the CAT Scale and weigh everything up. There are many threads on here as to the correct way to do that.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 10:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I pulled a 28’ Rockwood (not a toy hauler) with a 2013 F150 EB. I used a 4 point Equlizer WD hitch. I never had any issues with sway or wander.

Pulled from Florida to Canada and in between with no issues. It does sound as though you may have too little tongue weight.

As bikendan said you need to go to the CAT Scale and weigh everything up. There are many threads on here as to the correct way to do that.
Thank you , I am gonna go to a CAT scale and weigh it.
Old 06-14-2024, 08:39 PM   #8

What tires do you have on that F150?

I ask because I was running the stock 4-ply General Grabbers on my '22 Tremor. I was getting a little "wiggle" in my rear as well but that improved greatly after I upgraded to the 10-ply version of the same Grabbers. I also replaced the stock rear shocks with Bilstein 5100's for better towing.
JB_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 09:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_Canuck View Post
What tires do you have on that F150?

I ask because I was running the stock 4-ply General Grabbers on my '22 Tremor. I was getting a little "wiggle" in my rear as well but that improved greatly after I upgraded to the 10-ply version of the same Grabbers. I also replaced the stock rear shocks with Bilstein 5100's for better towing.
I have the original shocks and the original Goodyear wrangler tires. I am gonna go with a heavier duty tire like you did and look into the bilsteins5100s . Seems a lot of towers like the 5100s and a heavier duty tire. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-15-2024, 05:39 AM   #10

Higher load capacity tires DO tend to tow better. But ride rougher when truck is not towing. The tradeoff is just another compromise you need to think about when towing.
If you have a loaded toy hauler with a couple atv's or a couple large motorcycles it is easy to have too much rear weight! You want 10-15% of total trailer weight on the hitch typically.

Tags
f150, forest river, tow, towing, wildwood