Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 02:57 AM   #61
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfitz View Post
flag19fd,

Am I correct in assuming that your measured tongue weights are for a fully loaded trailer and not an empty one?

May I ask what factory options you got with your trailer?
flag has a Micro Lite 19FD, NOT a GeoPro/Epro 19FD.
28lbs difference in "dry" tongue weight and even more difference in GVWR.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
flag has a Micro Lite 19FD, NOT a GeoPro/Epro 19FD.
28lbs difference in "dry" tongue weight and even more difference in GVWR.
Flagstaff apparently does not make the Micro Lite 19fd anymore, but I did find some specs and a floorpan. It appears to be, at least to me, essentially a Geopro, and the tongue weight and trailer dry weight are very close to each other. I suspect that forest river retooled this model into the Geopro/Epro brands.
mkfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by flag19fd View Post
Pretty much the standard equipment and supplies for 2 but I think we travel lighter then most. On the tongue, just 2 - 20 # gas tank and 1 class 24 battery. We do carry 5-7 gallons of water in the tank, and a portable ice machine behind the axle. The only thing that were not in the trailer when taking the measurements was our food that is stored behind the axle. We travel with our bottle water on the back seat floor and our clothes in the hatch.
Remember- any weight you add behind the axle subtracts from your tongue weight.
Flag19FD,

Thank you for your response. I have been trying to find someone who actually had a loaded Geopro or Flagstaff E-Pro 19FD (your 2018 Flagstaff micro light 19FD is virtually identical to the Geopro/E-Pro variant) with loaded a hitch weight below 500 pounds (the limit of the tow vehicle that I am looking to purchase). We currently have a Rockwood A122 A-frame popup towed by a 2012 Subaru Outback and we've learned to pack light. i saw so many other posts that were stating hitch weights well over 500 pounds. This makes me much more comfortable in my choice of the trailer and the new tow vehicle.

Just one more question. You state a hitch weight of 480 with gas, batteries and springs. By springs, are you referring to a weight distribution hitch?

Thank you again for your time.

Michael
mkfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:06 PM   #64

More info

BIKENDAN
They changed from the 19FD to the EPro 19FD mid 2018. The main difference I see is they removed the entertainment wall and added a solar panel. The EPro tongue weight is 5 lbs less and the dry weight +200 lbs less. Of course there numbers go out the window when the first item is added to the trailer but a good starting comparison for MKFITZ’s.
MKFITZ
Yes. Those were the weight distribution springs. I use both a weight distribution system and one sway bar. The highlander has a 5k tow, 500 lb tongue weight, 4 wheel disk brakes, 3.5L engine for comparison reasons. I also use the electric trailer brake system. The car has done a good job controlling the trailer in high wind conditions. We have not towed in the mountains yet.
Remember- you can reduce tongue weight by moving trailer cargo weight behind the axle but not pound for pound.
flag19fd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:53 AM   #65

Ford Ranger

Hi, we are looking at purchasing the 19Qb and towing with a new Ford ranger with proper towing hitch and sway bar, any comments out there in regards to this being the correct vehicle or not.
kpooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfitz View Post
Flag19FD,

Thank you for your response. I have been trying to find someone who actually had a loaded Geopro or Flagstaff E-Pro 19FD (your 2018 Flagstaff micro light 19FD is virtually identical to the Geopro/E-Pro variant) with loaded a hitch weight below 500 pounds (the limit of the tow vehicle that I am looking to purchase). We currently have a Rockwood A122 A-frame popup towed by a 2012 Subaru Outback and we've learned to pack light. i saw so many other posts that were stating hitch weights well over 500 pounds. This makes me much more comfortable in my choice of the trailer and the new tow vehicle.

Just one more question. You state a hitch weight of 480 with gas, batteries and springs. By springs, are you referring to a weight distribution hitch?

Thank you again for your time.

Michael

Michael... I have a Geo Pro 19FD and answered the question in post #10
"No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing..."
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #67
2015 CoachmenClipper 17FQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpooler View Post
Hi, we are looking at purchasing the 19Qb and towing with a new Ford ranger with proper towing hitch and sway bar, any comments out there in regards to this being the correct vehicle or not.
I don't think that Rangers have much towing capacity, and from what I've read, it's best not to tow more than 80% of your towing capacity.

That said, I know we're well within the towing capacity of my Sorento, but it still feels underpowered and my gas mileage is dismal. We'll make it through this season with the Sorento (going relatively close and avoiding steep grades), but since we love our trailer (17FQ, dry weight approximately 2700 lbs) we'll be looking to upgrade to get something better suited for towing.
artrageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #68

Rangers have a 7500 lb towing capacity.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #69
DKF

Ford Ranger as TV

We were impressed with the new Ranger on a test drive....Nice truck! As per previous comments in this string, you need to be aware of the max tongue weight for the Ranger. Towing capacity of 7,500lbs is great. Be prepared to buy a equalizer hitch with sway bar.
We have a GeoPro 17PR and loaded tongue weight is 700lbs.

Dave

2018 GeoPro 17PR
2018 Ford F-150
DKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #70

Ranger

That's good to know as the hitch capacity for the ranger is 750 with the proper receiver. What are you towing your 17 or with
Old 07-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #71

Quote:
You won't have any issue towing the 19QB. With a 7500 tow capacity the ranger should do well and with the turbo torque will be good. Check the door sticker and look at the payload number. The dealer will also have that info. Add up you cargo that the truck will be carrying (people, pets, luggage, tongue weighr) and see where your at. I suspect you will be fine but do the math.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #72

Thank you, my husband has been doing so much research on the numbers as we have always had more truck than trailer as we are downsizing from a 250 diesel towing an open range fifth wheel. So have been going over all the number to make sure the new ranger can handle an rv.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #73

Quote:
Thank you, my husband has been doing so much research on the numbers as we have always had more truck than trailer as we are downsizing from a 250 diesel towing an open range fifth wheel. So have been going over all the number to make sure the new ranger can handle an rv.
If I was full timing or going considerable distances I would choose a full size truck just for the comfort level a full size will provide. Also if you decide you are going to upgrade to a larger trailer in the future choose a full size. You have to remember the cost of the Ranger is pretty close to the F150, something to consider.

That being said I pull a Coachman 204RD with a Toyota Tacoma. Trailer weights in around 4,800lbs.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #74

Do you pull long distance and how do you find the Tacoma with wind, big trucks and any hilly terrain?
Old 07-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #75

Quote:
Do you pull long distance and how do you find the Tacoma with wind, big trucks and any hilly terrain?
We pull our TT on one long trip every year out to the mountains for a two to three week period and travel approx 5,000 miles. The other trips are short local trips. I pull at around 65mph to conserve fuel and it's the most comfortable speed. Passing trucks and sidwinds are not a problem and I'm using g an Equalizer hitch that has sway control built in. In 2021the new Tundra is coming out and I will be trading in the 2018 Tacoma for the new Tundra which is reportedly going to achieve 30mpg.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #76

Should add we have no issues pulling in the mountains up grade. Also because the Ranger is an automatic invest in a larger transmission cooler. My Tacoma is a manual so no cooler was required.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:31 PM   #77

I just bought the 2019 Kia Sorento..For it’s 5000lbs towing capacity,,great mpg,,and 0% interest...I matched it to a 2020 Coachmen apex nano 187rb...Dry weight 3100lbs and 316 TW....all sounds good...Until driving it from the dealer to my home 2 1/2 hr drive...where I noticed the hitch dropped 1 1/2 in from it’s original position...I suspected the TW was false..It weighed 520lbs...200lbs more than advertised...I removed the propane tank,,battery,,the electric winch...and still weighed 390lbs...I called the dealer which rely’s on the Manufactures info..They weigh only large Rvs TWs......I went back to the hitch installer and was told the hitch moved down because of the installation bolts slight clearance has shifted to one side and assured me it will not drop any further..He recommended a weight distribution hitch..Meanwhile to compensate the TW i loaded 40gals of water,,the battery,,tools box,,in the back of the TT..Which brought the TW to 350lbs...Went on vacation to PEI...did 3200kms..with no problem..The mpg went up from 8.8 Lts per 100kms to avg 19 Lts per 100kms...More than double...I suspect the axle gearing ratio is not made for towing..My towing speed was 60 to 65 mph...I shifted manually the Auto transmission most of the time..Had it in 6th speed most of the time..the 7th and 8th were never used...Thanks Winfried Neumann...Like to hear your feed back...
Lord Winman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #78
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Winman View Post
I just bought the 2019 Kia Sorento..For it’s 5000lbs towing capacity,,great mpg,,and 0% interest...I matched it to a 2020 Coachmen apex nano 187rb...Dry weight 3100lbs and 316 TW....all sounds good...Until driving it from the dealer to my home 2 1/2 hr drive...where I noticed the hitch dropped 1 1/2 in from it’s original position...I suspected the TW was false..It weighed 520lbs...200lbs more than advertised...I removed the propane tank,,battery,,the electric winch...and still weighed 390lbs...I called the dealer which rely’s on the Manufactures info..They weigh only large Rvs TWs......I went back to the hitch installer and was told the hitch moved down because of the installation bolts slight clearance has shifted to one side and assured me it will not drop any further..He recommended a weight distribution hitch..Meanwhile to compensate the TW i loaded 40gals of water,,the battery,,tools box,,in the back of the TT..Which brought the TW to 350lbs...Went on vacation to PEI...did 3200kms..with no problem..The mpg went up from 8.8 Lts per 100kms to avg 19 Lts per 100kms...More than double...I suspect the axle gearing ratio is not made for towing..My towing speed was 60 to 65 mph...I shifted manually the Auto transmission most of the time..Had it in 6th speed most of the time..the 7th and 8th were never used...Thanks Winfried Neumann...Like to hear your feed back...
First, that dealership was stupid for letting you leave without a WDH.
Second, brochure/website dry numbers are fictional because they are based on a stripped-down version of the trailer. Often without a spare tire, a/c, tv, awning and so on. Those dry numbers don't include factory options(even "forced" options).
Third, your TT is a single axle trailer and its axle is farther back than most. This puts even more of the trailer's weight on the tongue.

IMHO, your dealer did you wrong in a number of ways.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
First, that dealership was stupid for letting you leave without a WDH.
Second, brochure/website dry numbers are fictional because they are based on a stripped-down version of the trailer. Often without a spare tire, a/c, tv, awning and so on. Those dry numbers don't include factory options(even "forced" options).
Could not agree more with the above. Our Sorento does a great job towing for what it actually is. However I would attempt it without a WDH.
kenmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #80

I would keep the 520 pound tongue weight, it will only help reduce sway, but add a weight distributing hitch set up right and you will be fine. Assuming no more than 4 normal size passengers and limited gear and luggage in the KIA even with 520 pounds on the hitch you should have 800-1000 pounds of payload left over for passengers and gear. Plus the WDH will probably move almost 100 pounds back to the trailer axle which is almost as much as you were able, plus it will move another 100+ pounds onto the front axle of the KIA which you couldn't.

You start trying to move a bunch of weight off the hitch into the back of the trailer and you will get sway even with the best anti-sway hitch. You should not normally have sway even with no anti sway installed, then add anti sway to keep it from swaying in extreme situations.

almost everybody gets their MPG cut in half towing, some even more than 1/2. The weight actually doesn't matter much once up to speed, and a short trailer is actually worse than a long. They all are almost identical in the frontal area, 10 foot or 30 foot long. With a 30 foot trailer the air actually has a chance to settle down a bit and re-attach to the sides and top. The rear shape is just as important as the front for aerodynamics, and except for airstreams, they all suck (or drag?) in that area. Those R-pod things are actually worse than just a flat back, they had to install that little spoiler above the rear window as that steep slope rear end was like dragging a parachute around.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geo pro, towing