Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2019, 08:07 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Winman View Post
I just bought the 2019 Kia Sorento..For it’s 5000lbs towing capacity,,great mpg,,and 0% interest...I matched it to a 2020 Coachmen apex nano 187rb...Dry weight 3100lbs and 316 TW....all sounds good...Until driving it from the dealer to my home 2 1/2 hr drive...where I noticed the hitch dropped 1 1/2 in from it’s original position...I suspected the TW was false..It weighed 520lbs...200lbs more than advertised...I removed the propane tank,,battery,,the electric winch...and still weighed 390lbs...I called the dealer which rely’s on the Manufactures info..They weigh only large Rvs TWs......I went back to the hitch installer and was told the hitch moved down because of the installation bolts slight clearance has shifted to one side and assured me it will not drop any further..He recommended a weight distribution hitch..Meanwhile to compensate the TW i loaded 40gals of water,,the battery,,tools box,,in the back of the TT..Which brought the TW to 350lbs...Went on vacation to PEI...did 3200kms..with no problem..The mpg went up from 8.8 Lts per 100kms to avg 19 Lts per 100kms...More than double...I suspect the axle gearing ratio is not made for towing..My towing speed was 60 to 65 mph...I shifted manually the Auto transmission most of the time..Had it in 6th speed most of the time..the 7th and 8th were never used...Thanks Winfried Neumann...Like to hear your feed back...
Man, you never want to load the back of the trailer to reduce tongue weight. You’ll get sway all over the place!
Old 09-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #82

Thank You for your feedback....I have since put the propane and battery back in their original place...I removed the 40 gals of water...from the rear..I am using the rear bench seat as storage...with is behind the axle..I pour 5 gals of water in the toilet before setting off on a trip...With the fridge and pantry loaded the TW is at 480lbs...20lbs less that the max allowed..I have also installed a WDH with an anti sway to take some of the load..Removed an inch of squat from the 2 1/2 in without the WDH..The TV has a total of 1200lbs payload capacity..500 on the front axle and 700 on the rear axle..We are 2 passengers 350lbs...and maximum 100lbs of gear...We plan to cross Canada ...Montreal to BC and down the US coast and back to Montreal next year....
Lord Winman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:28 PM   #83

Yes you are right about the sway...even with double anti sway bars ..I noticed it driving to PEI..Had to stop and transfer 2 ....4 gal containers to the front..That corrected it..I was more worried about the Hitch falling off the car...going over some bumps and dips in the road...Everything looked ok after the 3200km trip..I am eager to go on the next trip with the WDH....
Old 09-04-2019, 09:41 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmyfam View Post
Could not agree more with the above. Our Sorento does a great job towing for what it actually is. However I would NOT attempt it without a WDH.
Typo in above post. Missed the word "NOT" !!! now added in capitals.
kenmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggybuggy View Post
should add we have no issues pulling in the mountains up grade. Also because the ranger is an automatic invest in a larger transmission cooler. My tacoma is a manual so no cooler was required.
if the ranger comes with an optional max tow package like the f-150, get it and you'll be fine and not have to add any extra transmission cooler as it already has an upgraded transmission cooler. You should be just fine with your trailer and ranger.

Have fun and enjoy your new ride.
pwrriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:55 PM   #86

Hi guys,,,,I just took my TT for a test drive to finalize my WDH installation. Stopped in a large level parking lot. I tried the maximum circle turn that my steering wheel would allow..The Hitch comes very very close to the car..The chains on the the WDH are pivoted. One 30% forward and the other 30% rearward..Is that normal?..Looks like that creates a lot of stress on the cars frame..Or is it my imagination..This is the first time I am using a WDH...Your thoughts would be appriciated.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Winman View Post
Hi guys,,,,I just took my TT for a test drive to finalize my WDH installation. Stopped in a large level parking lot. I tried the maximum circle turn that my steering wheel would allow..The Hitch comes very very close to the car..The chains on the the WDH are pivoted. One 30% forward and the other 30% rearward..Is that normal?..Looks like that creates a lot of stress on the cars frame..Or is it my imagination..This is the first time I am using a WDH...Your thoughts would be appriciated.
How about a photo ???? A picture is worth a thousand words so they say .... and I believe them.
kenmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmyfam View Post
How about a photo ???? A picture is worth a thousand words so they say .... and I believe them.
Yes I will take pictures next time I take the TT on a trip...Meanwhile the WDH is a Reese PRO 750lbs TW Capacity # 49902 complete kit with anti sway round torsion bars..Both chains are perpendicular when the TT and TV are inline..I have 6 links when engaged ..The TT and torsion bars are parallel. TT is level and the sorento squats an 1in and a half....Drives great on the road...
Old 10-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #89

Towing

Hi, new to the forum, but not that new to campers. I have a 2012 Durango with 5.7 Hemi. AWD with factory tow pkg. Rated to tow 7200 lbs. I wouldn't DREAM of pulling that much weight behind it. Had a 2019 Solaire 205ss with a dry weight of about 4400 lbs. Put on a Recurve R6 hitch, camper and TV sat as pretty and level as can be. But it was all the Hemi wanted to pull that camper, when you account for passengers and cargo also. Fuel mileage 7, maybe 8 going downhill. The point I'm making is this - would it "pull" it? Yes. Was it easy? No. Was it near its max tongue weight? Most likely. Do I still tow with it? No. Did I buy a truck? Yes. Its not all about towing capacity. You have to consider how hard you're gonna make the tranny work also. Truck tranny's are built for that, Sorento's are not. Now....would I pull a 3100lb Geo Pro with the Durango? Probably. As long as the hitch is set up properly, shouldn't be an issue. You can probably pull it with the Sorento, but it would be pushing it, especially if you get into a lot of hilly or mountainous areas. Those can be tough, even with a truck. I'm sure some will disagree with something I've said, but I like to speak from experience, not just what the numbers say.
damauldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:31 PM   #90

Thanks for the feedback.

I kept my GMC Sierra. It's old but it tows the Geo Pro without effort!
jejolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:29 AM   #91

Which hitch to buy?

Hi everyone, picking up my 2020 Geo Pro 19bh next week and need some quick advice on a hitch. I saw where others had used a Fastway E2 hitch. The salesman said it wouldn’t fit the Geo Pro. But others on here say they have used it? He said if it actually did fit, it would be about $500 bucks. I want to buy it myself but want to make sure it will work. Based on my research, I’m looking at getting the 10k round bar version, 600 to 800 lb tongue weight, with 2 5/16” ball already installed. Is that a good choice? Their manual says it needs a space of a minimum of 27” and a a maximum of 30” from the ball to install the brackets on the tongue. Anyone know if that distance works on the 19bh?Salesman said I might not even need a WDH, but I still think it’s a good idea. My tow vehicle is an F-350 5.4 gas engine. Overkill for this trailer I know, but it’s what I have. I just don’t like the idea of not having a WDH. Seen too many YouTube videos of campers rolling down the highway I guess. So should I go ahead and get this hitch? Has anyone else installed it on their Geo Pro without issues with the propane tanks, battery box, etc.? I welcome ANY and ALL advice. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by damauldin View Post
Hi everyone, picking up my 2020 Geo Pro 19bh next week and need some quick advice on a hitch. I saw where others had used a Fastway E2 hitch. The salesman said it wouldn’t fit the Geo Pro. But others on here say they have used it? He said if it actually did fit, it would be about $500 bucks. I want to buy it myself but want to make sure it will work. Based on my research, I’m looking at getting the 10k round bar version, 600 to 800 lb tongue weight, with 2 5/16” ball already installed. Is that a good choice? Their manual says it needs a space of a minimum of 27” and a a maximum of 30” from the ball to install the brackets on the tongue. Anyone know if that distance works on the 19bh?Salesman said I might not even need a WDH, but I still think it’s a good idea. My tow vehicle is an F-350 5.4 gas engine. Overkill for this trailer I know, but it’s what I have. I just don’t like the idea of not having a WDH. Seen too many YouTube videos of campers rolling down the highway I guess. So should I go ahead and get this hitch? Has anyone else installed it on their Geo Pro without issues with the propane tanks, battery box, etc.? I welcome ANY and ALL advice. Thank you!

Pulling that Geo Pro with a F350 (1ton) will not require a WD hitch. You wont even feel the trailer back there. Hopefully you didn't buy the truck to pull the trailer because it's way more truck then needed.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #93

Demauldin- Check the ball size. My 193bhs only needs a 2". Agreed that a wdh may not be necessary for your set up. At best maybe a anti-sway bar like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-17200-Sw.../dp/B000HLO7QA
Blurryace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:50 PM   #94

My owners manual says maximum tongue weight without WDH is only 500 lbs. And from what I've read on here, tongue weight of a 19bh with 2 batteries, full propane, etc. will exceed that. With a WDH, it says up to a 1250lb tongue weight. So, I'm thinking I will need one. Its a single rear axle F-350 with 5.4 gas engine.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by damauldin View Post
My owners manual says maximum tongue weight without WDH is only 500 lbs. And from what I've read on here, tongue weight of a 19bh with 2 batteries, full propane, etc. will exceed that. With a WDH, it says up to a 1250lb tongue weight. So, I'm thinking I will need one. Its a single rear axle F-350 with 5.4 gas engine.
That seems awfully low for a one ton. My Silverado 1500 has no specified weight limit without a WDH, but the implied weight limit is 700 lbs. The trailering information sticker lists a max tongue weight of 1200 lbs and the owner's manual states a WDH is required for trailers over 7000 lbs.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:47 PM   #96
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That seems awfully low for a one ton. My Silverado 1500 has no specified weight limit without a WDH, but the implied weight limit is 700 lbs. The trailering information sticker lists a max tongue weight of 1200 lbs and the owner's manual states a WDH is required for trailers over 7000 lbs.
The numbers on the the hitch receiver are for the receiver ONLY and not necessarily what the vehicle is rated for.
Auto manufacturers often use the same receiver, for many differently configured vehicles that have different towing specs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:12 PM   #97

damauldin, if this helps. I had a F350 an used it to tow. We towed a fifth wheel trailer as our camper but we also towed a 26 foot cargo hauler. The trailer when loaded was about 15,000 pounds. Not sure what the tonque weight was except that it made the Super duty squat a bit. No sway control, no WDH. The F350 is a pulling machine. It will drag that little trailer of yours all over the place and not feel it. Your truck probably weighs close to 7,000 pounds empty. Your trailer maybe half that. Don't worry about a WDH, spend it on gas instead. Enjoy.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:58 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The numbers on the the hitch receiver are for the receiver ONLY and not necessarily what the vehicle is rated for.
Auto manufacturers often use the same receiver, for many differently configured vehicles that have different towing specs.
You would expect Ford to match the receiver to the truck it's being installed on. What possible reason would Ford have to install a low-rated receiver on an F-350? That makes no sense at all. A one ton truck should come with a receiver that can fully utilize the truck's capacity.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:23 AM   #99
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You would expect Ford to match the receiver to the truck it's being installed on. What possible reason would Ford have to install a low-rated receiver on an F-350? That makes no sense at all. A one ton truck should come with a receiver that can fully utilize the truck's capacity.
Not saying that 350 doesn't have a higher rated receiver. just saying that whatever it says on the receiver, is not necessarily what the truck is rated for.
the most a F150 can tow, is 13,200lbs, depending on how it is configured. The maximum a F150 receiver is 1320lbs of tongue weight, which is only 10% and less than what a 13,200lbs TT's tongue weight would actually be.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:30 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurryace View Post
Demauldin- Check the ball size. My 193bhs only needs a 2".
This is incorrect. I found out this weekend that it is a 2 5/16" hitch ball.
Blurryace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geo pro, towing